PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Rad and I had an email conversation last month and he told me:
I have been well, thanks so much for asking. I had a heart attack and bypass surgery last year in late January, and I have slowed way down with my work.
I don't think he has stopped completely tho.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Beautiful pipe...spoke to rad just a few days ago...he hasn't retired..yet..just slowing down and eliminating stress from his life...where he can control it

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, say it ain't so. That is terrible news for any lover of finely made pipes. If you don't mind sharing your sources on this thread, I would like to hear all about it. If you would rather pm me that is cool, I need to know who is saying it.

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, it was making the rounds from a number of sources, including one fellow who had a commission in with Rad. He said he got an email and Rad essentially said that he would be retiring as he feels he just can't give 100% like he used to. Another guy who claimed to know Rad told me the same, but he also said that Rad isn't selling his equipment, so who knows what the future holds. It was clearly making the rounds as some estate sellers who had Rads for sale were telling people that he has retired and they should get one now if they want it. To be clear though, I have not heard anything directly from Rad. I am just telling you what I heard at the show. If anyone else has heard anything, please share it. Rad is an important part of this pipe community and has clearly contributed to the rise of North American carvers over the last several years. If it does prove to be true, it is a sad day for the hobby, but the man's health and happiness should be his first priority.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, thanks for the info. It sure sounds like he is retiring from all of your sources. I sent him an email just a few minutes ago and if I get a reply, I will let you guys know if that is ok with Rad.
It will certainly be a sad day if he retires as he was a real class act. Who else does not require a deposit for a commissioned pipe? He kept his prices down when everyone was jacking theirs up as we both know he could have gotten a lot more for his pipes. Take a look at this pipe for 1174.50 Euros and tell me why it should cost 4 times the amount of a Rad blast. I see people with only a few years experience charging more than Rad for pipes that certainly don't look as good as a Rad and no way they smoke better. In my 15 years of pipe smoking I have never smoked a pipe that smoked better than a Rad. I have plenty that smoke as good, but none that smoke better.

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=10473

Status
Not open for further replies.