PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker21

Lurker
Feb 21, 2014
i am new to pipe smoking im 18 and i have 5 pipes and 9 different tobaccos and i already spent 280$ beginning my new hobby and i was wondering can you clean pipes with just q tips? thats what i been doing for a while now
--------------------------

Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Q-tips are great, and we all use them, but they are best for cleaning around the mortise. They won't go through the stem, nor are they likely to clean the full shank beyond the mortise. For that, you will need pipe cleaners – the cheapest accessories you can buy to ensure a clean and pleasant tasting smoke. Get both the bristle kind and the plain ones to loosen and clean up the grunge that will naturally build up along the airways of the pipe. You may also want to get some pipe cleaning solution, Either Everclear, vodka, or some other alcoholic beverage of your choice. Keeping a pipe clean is a very easy thing to do, but it is also very necessary. Q-tips are a valuable adjunct, but they won't do the whole job.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Yes, you need pipe cleaners to clean the stem and shank. A q-Tip is too thick and will not reach into these areas.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
You can do well with qtips, but as other have already stated, pipe cleaners will be your friend when trying to clean inside the shank. Plus, they're very, very cheap.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Q-tips are great for shank cleaning on estates. I buy them at the Dollar Store. Then invest in some good pipe cleaners for the stem. If Q-tip sold stock, I'd buy it!

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
I go to buy my wife cigs about every 2 weeks and always buy 100 pipes cleaners. Use lots of them to keep your pipes smoking sweetly. I have them stuck everywhere much to wife's dismay. I do use Q tips when doing a more heavy cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.