PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Is anyone else a big fan of Louisiana style chicory coffee?
A couple who attend church with me are originally from Louisiana, and their family still operates a sugar cane plantation there. They were kind enough to give me a bag of the unrefined sugar, slightly browned with the natural molasses from the cane.
A hot cup of stout chicory, a dash of cream, and about 1/4 teaspoon of that unrefined sugar is like Heaven in a cup. What better way to start off a nice morning?

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
A large fan of Louisinna syle coffee. We drink Community Dark roast at our house which is available locally.

Here is their site with mail order available.
http://www.communitycoffee.com/

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
As I type this I have in front of me a large authentic Café Du Monde mug of half French Market coffee+chickory and half hot milk. With or without a beignet it is the only way I can stand to drink coffee. Chickory was originally added to coffee to stretch it for economic reasons. It imparts a taste vaguely mocha.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
In 1980 I delivered a load of oil drill pipe to an oil rig in a bayou in LA. after delivering the pipe it was 5:00 a.m. I was dead on my feet tiered. I found this old bait shop gas station type place that also rented boats in the back as it was on the water. I stopped in for coffee. The guy in the store said I wouldn't like it as it was Cajun coffee and not something a Yankee would like. I tried a cup anyway. After climbing back into my rig I tried a few sips, wow that was the best tasting coffee I've ever had. I grabbed both of my thermos jugs, went back in and filled them. I told the guy his coffee was beyond just good it was great. He said I was OK for a yank. That coffee got me back to Houston where I loaded another load of pipe for a rig in West Texas I made it half way there before hitting the bunk. That was the best coffee I've ever had. Maybe it was trade with River water or well water. I've been in search of that same taste since but have yet to find it. I keep searching though. Pipetraveler

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Just brewed a half press worth of Café du Monde. It's the only coffee I drink, thanks to my dad introducing me to it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@Cuchulain (nice handle by the way!) Chicory is a root that when roasted and ground, and steeped, produces a caramelized/burnt sweet and brown extract. During the period in which the Union blockaded the CSA coffee became a precious commodity in the Southern states. As a result chicory began to to be blended in with coffee and in some cases substituted coffee entirely. As a result local consuming habits changed, and coffee blended with chicory persisted as a beverage of choice in places Louisiana. When blended with a dark roast coffee it produces a bittersweet deep and velvety coffee that is perfectly complimented by heavy cream or whole milk and some cane sugar. It is definitely worth checking out.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
I love this type of coffee. One of my favourite things to do is drink this stiff when I go to NOLA. I have tried to find this stuff in Canada, to no avail. You know any place to get it here Pat?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
McEwens in the Shops on Don Mills might carry it from time to time, Peck. I know they carry Kopi Luak but I went off on a morally indignant tirade about people paying extra $ to have animals force fed coffee cherries so humans can drink coffee that is processed in the animal's bowels and is extricated from the animal's shit when I saw it on the shelf so I missed what else was on the coffee shelf. Sorry for letting the team down.
Mail order from Cafe du Monde?
-- Pat

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You can buy the stuff from Community Coffee. I love Cafe Du Monde as a few cups of that get you ready for either a Hurricane or a Grenade after a night of partying on the 1400 Block.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I used to drink Cafe Du Monde all the time, until it started messing with my stomach after my surgeries. It's really good stuff for sure!

But now, it's JFG Bonus Blend for me.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Peck-I know Amazon carries Café du Monde at a very reasonable price, and if you have it, I'm pretty sure is Prime eligible.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
"
Coffee first came to North America by way of New Orleans back in the mid-1700's. It was successfully cultivated in Martinique about 1720, and the French brought coffee with them as they began to settle new colonies along the Mississippi.
The taste for coffee and chicory was developed by the French during their civil war. Coffee was scarce during those times, and they found that chicory added body and flavor to the brew. The Acadians from Nova Scotia brought this taste and many other french customs (heritage) to Louisiana. Chicory is the root of the endive plant. Endive is a type of lettuce. The root of the plant is roasted and ground. It is added to the coffee to soften the bitter edge of the dark roasted coffee.

"
I drink Coffee & Chicory exclusively at home. Community Coffee is pretty much considered to be "tourist coffee' in south Louisiana. I much prefer the richness and flavor of a dark roast C & C by RT Blenders. French Market would be my second choice.
Drinking a cup of RT right now along with a bowl of 7 Seas in a Savinelli Billiard :wink:

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Four packs of 13oz RT Coffee & Chicory for $24.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Roast-Coffee-Chicory-13-Ounce/dp/B004NZ0JUE

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I am a NH native (a Red Sox; not a Yankee!) with family in New Orleans, and we enjoy the chicory coffee a lot. Personally it's not better than a good cup of regular joe ... It's just different, but just as good.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
The. Coffee I had years ago in LA. was more brown than black, is that how RT looks? Pipetraveler

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I don't know if I've ever had it but I've heard that McDonald's coffee has chicory in it. Anyone know if that is true?

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
"The. Coffee I had years ago in LA. was more brown than black, is that how RT looks? Pipetraveler "
RT is black as night. A full bodied coffee that goes great with a Burley blend.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I drink Coffee & Chicory exclusively at home. Community Coffee is pretty much considered to be "tourist coffee' in south Louisiana. I much prefer the richness and flavor of a dark roast C & C by RT Blenders. French Market would be my second choice.
+1 but I haven't been able to find RT in k-cups. French Market has them. In fact cheaper than Community, if you buy a dozen boxes at a time like I do. French Market single serve kcups
I have a 20oz mug, put in 8oz of whole milk and heat it in the microwave, then put it under the kcup machine for 8oz of coffee. My kcup machine is a Bunn MyCafe that has a pulse feature. Probably with a Keurig it would be best to go 4oz/4oz or at most 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.