PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Evenin' all,
I've got a bit of a question regarding cellaring vs smokable storage (my term). I'm slowly purchasing 1.75oz tins of various blends to determine what I enjoy (everything so far...uh ohhhh)and what I'd like to put away due to 1)impending unavailability or 2) Desire to age. I do understand that VaPer/VaBur etc. age better than English/Balkan blends.
So. As I purchase blends, I've found some that I like very much, and may become unavailable (NightCap for one). I have purchased several tins of these. When I get a blend to try, and I open the tin, I judge the moisture content at the time of arrival...if it's about right, I put it in a canning jar right away. If it's a bit too moist, I leave it in the tin that I opened for a bit, and once it's right I put it in a jar. If on the dry side, of course in the jar it goes. This is what I term "smokable storage"...tobaccos that I have begun to smoke, and am keeping in jars.
Here is my question.
For the tins of mixtures that I already KNOW that I like and that I want to "cellar/age", should I put these into jars straightaway, or should they be "cellared" in the sealed tins? I know that Ball canning jars are regarded as the most reliable way to store blends to "cellar"; is it important that the tobacco be exposed to SOME air to "age" properly during cellaring, and so should NOT be stored in the hermetically sealed tins?
Thanks for the answers, for the expertise, and now......MORE BLACK FRIGATE!
CW

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well the first response!
I've got 4 small mason jars with blends that I'm working my way through now. That's my smokable stock. I have maybe 15 or so tins 'cellared' until a jar opens up. It works for me, the space I have, and how often I can enjoy a bowl.
Some feel some tins are sealed better than others, and that determines how they are stored.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@cwpiperman. I LOVE your post. I specifically love the way you have defined your tobacco storage. It took me a few years to realize the difference between cellaring Versus smokable tobacco storage. But we all do it that way. In general, I store most if not 90% of my smokable tobacco in the original tins. Bulk tobacco is a different story of course.However, there are certain tin tobaccos that I put in a mason jars. For example, Savinelli Doblone d’Oro I put in Mason jars because it is perfect moisture upon arrival. But Samuel Gawith Blends I store in Mason jars. Along the way you’ll figure out your own method.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
You seem to have all of the generally accepted information. To my knowledge the position that more air contributes to aging is an educated guess at best. If one buys that line of thinking and you know you wouldn't want to sell or trade your cellared tobaccos in the future, that would suggest that transferring to loosely packed Mason jars is the way to go for cellaring. If you think it's irrelevant, then you can choose to cellar them in essentially airless vacuum packed tins or in tightly packed jars. Me? I think it's effectively unimportant to aging how much air is in the container. Supporting my position are the many posts from folks raving about the beautifully darkened tobaccos with plume emerging from their aged, vacuum packed tins. Could air accelerate things? Maybe. Some will cite aerobic versus anaerobic fermentation and it's a reasonable sounding argument, but where's the proof it's actually noticeable? We'd need a five year test of tinned versus jarred versions of the same tobacco from the same batch. I haven't seen anyone perform that test.
So, my recommendation is to keep the tins sealed. It keeps your future options open in case your tastes change or the tobacco ages in an unexpected and negative way. For example, Brian Levine says that the Perique in VAPers becomes too mild for his taste if aged too long. To someone else, those same tins have improved and are valuable. If that were to happen to you, you could sell the sealed tins. Jarred tobacco is less valuable.
Worried about the integrity of the tins? I recently read about a round tin from the 1950s being opened and the tobacco found in good condition. You might want to monitor the rectangular tins which are less reliable than the round tins.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My cellar consists of tins I haven't gotten around to, and jars that I've forgotten about. I have an unintentional cellar from years of buying, but over 200 pounds of it. I consider everything in my closet as smokable, and the stuff with decades of age on it is just stuff I haven't gotten around to yet. I buy in large lots as I've seen favorites disappear over the past thirty years and I like to be prepared for such future events.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think most trust tins for aging before the seal is broken. After you pop the seal, jarring is best practice. Cardboard "tins" probably are best jarred. If I'm smoking a blend regularly, I may leave it in the tin, but I wouldn't recommend it; it's kind of lazy.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for all of your replies so far! @Craiginthecorn, I'll have a look at the thread you posted, and get back to this list.
Another question that comes to mind.....what is the recommended (or agreed on/fought over) temperature that is best for cellaring/aging tobacco?
CW

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Dewpoints are high where I live in the summer. They hit 77 a week ago so I keep all of my tobacco in the basement and run a dehumidifer spring-fall regardless in the basement. Plus it is air conditioned. In the winter I burn corn in the basement so I would say year round my humidity near my collectings is very minimal. I would aim for the lowest humidity you can obtain before worrying about temperatures unless you are dealing with extreme temps. And then I would be relocating my stash to a better controlled area.

Status
Not open for further replies.