PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I was going through my cellar and noticed that there was some rust on the bottom of a SG FVF tin and edge of the lid, so decided to break the seal and jar. After opening, I’m really glad I did. There was quite a bit of rusting on the inside of the tin as well.
Thankfully no contamination with the flakes due to the wrapper, and the flakes look absolutely amazing with the darkened color, and enough bloom to throw a disco party (and still has that SG moisture of course).
The good news is that I have one flake set aside to smoke. It’s imperative that good quality assurance be applied and verified of course!
Anyway, it’s Strange as my other SG tins from 2008 look almost pristine, though I did find a Squadron Leader tin that when flipped, and looking up between the base and the lid, looks to be developing rust near the seal. Will make a move to jar it soon too.
These have been cellared in an environmentally controlled room so not sure what’s up. All of my McC’s, GL Pease, and C&D tins from 2007 - 2010 look like they were produced this year (minus some bulging). Humidity is kept low. :?:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
This is a known issue and there have been multiple threads on this very same subject if you search. No need to worry about the rusting tins. Rust is odorless and tasteless and will not hurt the tobacco. That's from Per Jensen who is the master blender at Mac Baren as Mac Baren tins have had similar problems. Per suggest leaving the tobacco in the tin as long as the seal hasn't been compromised, but many such as yourself will just jar the tobacco after noticing the rust. Either way the tobacco will be fine.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Yup, know how to use search and did so before posting. Saw some posts about dunhill with Per Jensen’s name mentioned in passing, but nothing quoting him or linking to an article he penned.
Will search on him so I can get an idea of what you’re referring to.
After reading the discussion yesterday about GL Pease 2000-2004 tins rusting out, clean through, had me sketched.
Thx for the reply
Edit - follow on for anyone not familiar after searching “Per Jensen rusting tin”: Tobacco Tins Rusting On Inside

Funny @metal ... looks like you had trouble with the search on this as well as this was your article :wink: Not sure why your article didn’t pop for me; assuming due to using “Samuel Gawith” specifically.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I recently had a similar experience with a tin of SG 1792 Flake, purchased 4 years ago from a local B&M (though the tin was likely much older).

Externally it appeared rust-free & intact, but had too much internal movement with the "shake test", which aroused suspicion.

The seal was intact upon opening. The inside of the lid was stained, though rust-free. The interior walls of the tin were almost completely rusted, with areas of rust flakes. There were no pin-holes or perforating rust. It appeared to be rusted from the inside.

The tobacco was protected by the paper liner & was a bit drier than typical SG flake, though still nicely pliable. (I jarred the flakes & did an experimental sous vide @ 180ºF x 180 minutes).
My other SG flake tins, which are legion, have slight or little internal movement upon shaking & although none have external rust, I will be examining them frequently.
(My cellar is a real cellar with year-round temperature of 60-66ºF & RH

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
@cossackjack ... I think that’s the moral of the story for me. I need to examine my tins on some type of recurring basisi (monthy/quarterly maybe).
For reference (recap for you seasoned pipesmagazine.com posters, and quick source for anyone that hadn’t seen the reply from Per Jensen):
Sourced via link in my post above:
I was very concerned reading the discussions on Pipesmagazine.com and I do feel like adding a few comments to the issue of the rusting edges on the HH Old Dark Fired tins. Hopefully this will allay some of the consumers concerns and ensure that we do value consumer feedback as it helps us make a better product.

First of all the tobaccos in the HH line is made under a quite different concept than all other Mac Baren tobaccos. This concept is of purity and as natural as we possibly can make the tobacco. This means that only a few things are added to the tobacco as a slight casing, and no top flavor at all. One of the few things added are vinegar, which is used for taste but also as a preservative.
Vinegar is an acid and will over time get in contact with the tin, and make it rust, but this is no way compromises the vacuum or the tobacco. However, the most important factor in this is the fact that the rust does not have any influence on either the smell or the taste. The tobacco will still taste and smoke like it always did.
The second issue is whether the tins hold the vacuum or not. The HH Old Dark Fired was introduced in May 2012. I have today opened a tin of HH Old Dark Fired packed in July 2012 (second batch), and the vacuum were intact and only the top edge were rusted. I filled my pipe, lit it and enjoyed a 45 minutes smoke, and there were no difference in taste, as I knew before even lightning up. At Mac Baren it is our goal to produce the very highest quality tobacco that will stand the test of time.
Without mentioning names I checked tins from other manufactures (which I keep in my office), and every manufacturer who produces this kind of almost pure tobacco using vinegar, had the same problem with rust in the tin, as long as they have sold tobacco in tins with vacuum.
I suspected this would happen for the HH Old Dark Fired, but for me it was natural and a result of the process that makes the HH series so unique. We are looking into ways to adjust the packaging material to avoid any rusting, but that is a work in progress. The unique qualities of the tobacco are such some reaction with the vinegar and metal may cause rust on the edge of the tin, but do not compromise the tobacco in any way. That is why I was so concerned reading the posts on pipesmagazine.com and why now I want to assure you the quality of the tobacco has not been compromised. Please feel free in the future to contact Mac Baren directly to address any questions or concerns you may have. (info@mac-baren.com)
The HH Old Dark Fired tobacco was composed to be smoked within a short period of time; however I do know the American way of cellaring the tobacco for years. My suggestion is, that you tap on the lid to hear if the vacuum is still OK, before you start taking the tobacco out of the tin. Try to tap a tin with vacuum and an open tin; you can clearly hear the difference in sound. Only when the vacuum is gone, you should think about putting the tobacco into jars. But, it will take many, many years before the vacuum disappears.
I have understood what was written in on pipesmagazine.com and will of course see which means we have to avoid rust on the edge. We at Mac Baren feel confident that the smell and taste of the tobacco has not been compromised, but will look into the matter with great importance.
It is my hope that everybody understands that rust do not have any influence on smell and taste, and also that the vacuum will keep for many, many years.
Finally, I will be present at the Chicago Pipe Show 2014, so everybody who has a question is very welcome to come to my table and ask me.
Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Brand Manager – Pipe Tobacco

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Did it look like this? If so, you're ok, it's still good.
sardines.jpg

If it looks like this, throw it out immediately. Don't even try to smoke it.
6771634249_fa32570dba.jpg

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Interesting read, Thanks for posting that.
I have a tin of dark fired from 2012. I should pop that baby open.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Funny @metal ... looks like you had trouble with the search on this as well as this was your article Not sure why your article didn’t pop for me; assuming due to using “Samuel Gawith” specifically.
Yes, I did and have trouble and have had trouble at other times as well. It's not a perfect system unfortunately. I was just pointing it out in case you weren't aware of it, and thought I'd share.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I do appreciate it man; I wouldn’t have seen Per Jensen’s response without ya popping in here.
I was surprised to learn that rust won’t hurt the blend as long as the seal is still good, and the leaf is still in a vacuum. That’s knowledge gained, which is why I love this community!
The thought of puffing on rust flake still doesn’t sound appealing or healthy though ..

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It’s interesting to see another tobacco blender (after Germains) condemn cellaring tobacco as a quaint American notion. Can anyone think of any blender aside from laudisi controlled c&d that advocates cellaring? It would seem an asset to c&d to do so as shifting the onus of the requisite aging of va based blends onto the purchaser is the cheaper way to do things. But, it seems sg, germains and macb mature leaf prior to blending so the tins are ready to go at the get go.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I committed the cardinal sin of breaking into my cellar last month to snatch one of the remaining tins of Brown Sugar Flake (made by Sam Gawith) dating from only 2016.
Upon opening all four corners on the inside of the tin were covered in rust with lesser streaks along the sides. Though the tobacco was fine, I do now worry about the remaining tins which I planned on keeping for at least eight years.
Regards,
Jay.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Pipestud disagrees with Per Jensen. He recently commented on a thread I started regarding Balkan Sobranie 759. I bought a tin in a pipe lot which turned out to have a fair amount of rust inside the tin. Dave cautioned me, "Good luck on that Sobranie 759. I can tell you from first hand experience, you will taste the rust and it will be... well, very unpleasant. Re humidifying the tobacco also seems to bring out the worst in the "rust dust." I am also not real sure about the safety of even getting a little rust inhaled into the lungs, but darned sure don't want to take the chance. I sell (at a greatly discounted price), tins that show up that are dried out, but when I open the tin and spot rust on the inside, then it goes into the nearest trash can. Please be cautious."
Call it the power of suggestion, but it tasted metallic to me.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Yikes gawmansmith! I thought tin rusting on the inside was a thing of the past, with plastic coatings. I guess the Gawith tins don't use it. I've got four BS Flake tins bouncing around between post offices right now.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
but when I open the tin and spot rust on the inside, then it goes into the nearest trash can. Please be cautious
I’ll heed pipestud’s warning then. If I find rust dust / flake in the tobacco, I’ll do same. I plan on smoking that SG SL after I use up the last of the Old Dublin I have open, so think I’ll be ok there.
I may just go through and start jarring up all of my SG tins that are over 10yrs old to be safe; they’re for me to smoke, so first and foremost I don’t want to lose my stock (resell/trade be damned). Losing 6-12mo’s of aging time by opening seems insignificant compared.
I’ve survived this long (including some extremely dangerous situations) following my instinct, and my instinct tells me that it’s just tobacco, and there’s a lot of tobacco that tastes great fresh, so no need to be desperate about smoking aged tins with rust.
@bigpond ... I thought C&D was bought into pipers cellaring already. Wasn’t that the point of their cellar series? It absoluetly makes since for both the hobby (and sales) for the industry to play along imo

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It absoluetly[sic] makes since for both the hobby (and sales) for the industry to play along imo."
Kickinbears, are you from the Antipodes by any chance?
Regards,
Jay.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
First, apologies for the spelling / grammar. Ughh... :oops:
I’m from the northern hemisphere, DC-ish area (northern Virginia).

Status
Not open for further replies.