PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I jar the ones I store long term and cut out & tape the labels to the jars. The bags may be fine, but I always prefer to smoke at least 1/4 fresh, so I've never actually had an unopened bag for more than a couple months. I'd jar to be safe though after reading what Esoterica themselves have written about their blends no being intended to age.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've some bags that look fine, but have tiny perforations along the edges. Depends on how the bag has been handled. Safest is to seal. You could place the unopened bag in a mason jar also.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Because of this thread I finally pulled the trigger on a descent vacuum sealer. I know the corners and seams of the Esoterica bags can have tiny bad spots in them. I'd rather double seal them in another bag than open them and jar them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh, drifter! That means a lot to those who know the story.
Esotericas come in at very high moisture content, so losing some is no problem.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thanks for the idea, mcitinner1. I usually just jar up open tobacco and cellar tins, but I have had bags of tobacco that I hate to destroy the packaging before I smoke them, but fear the above. Vacuum sealing allows the original packaging to shine without worry. I'll have to give that a go.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've never had a bag fail. I've smoked 15 year old and 12 year old Penzance fresh out of an unopened bag and both were still moist and fresh.

Reactions: yanoJL
Status
Not open for further replies.