PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
we all know the oldies. does anyone here know any of "todays" celebs who smoke pipes? I only know of Michael Gladis from Mad Men. It would be interesting to know. The more famous the better.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Well if im not mistaken, Daniel Day Lewis is a pipe smoker. Never seen a movie he didnt smoke a pipe in.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Here you go Kevin :D
images.jpg

from the movie "Gangs of New York".

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
In THERE WILL BE BLOOD there are several scenes with him sitting at a table that has a big jar full of pipes. Plus hes smoking several throughout the movie.

briarboy

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
Chris Wolstenholme, 32-year-old bassist with the English rock band Muse, is a pipe-smoker: http://www.anorak.co.uk/252771/celebrities/music-celebrities/silver-clef-awards-in-pictures-muse-smoking-pipes-and-jls.html

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
James Hampton played the part of Jerry Woolridge in Slingblade (1996). He smoked a pipe several times throughout the movie. He was the director of the mental hospital that Carl lived at before being released.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
victoria beckham eh. thats crazy. kevin stick with the mad men theme and see if that British guy Jared Harris (plays Pryce) smokes a pipe in real life.
Daniel Day Lewis would be UNREAL though.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Michael Gladis said that Jared Harris does not smoke a pipe in real life, but I could check and make sure.
I was thinking of Daniel Day Lewis as a possibility. I would have to catch him when he is in the USA. It seems he has homes in the US & UK.
The Lisa Bonet and Victoria Beckham pipe smoking references are dated, and I doubt they are currently active pipe smokers.
Plus, I would be too distracted doing an interview with Victoria Beckham.
Seriously though, to do an interview like I did with Michael Gladis is an IMMENSE investment in time and money, which is why I haven't done another one yet.
It was a huge amount of work, and in that case, Mad Men is a show I watched religiously and knew very, very well. I even watched the DVDs after the show was over so I have seen many episodes more than once.
Even with that expertise, this is still what was involved:
1. Pre-interview -
- Contact agent and make the pitch for the interview.

- Scout a location where we can film and smoke. Get approval for its use.

- Read and watch several other interviews to see what has been talked about before.

- Research their background, biography, past projects, current projects, future projects.

- Write questions, revise questions, anticipate answers, write the script and direction for the interview.

- Practice in front of the mirror and memorize your lines
2. Travel arrangements -
- Flights and hotel for myself and professional film guy

- Transportation of lighting and other film equipment

- Arrange other interviews to amortize the trip (Nat Sherman & Davidoff)
3. Arrival -
- Arrive a day early for set up

- Check location in person, arrange the room

- Set up lighting and sound

- Practice in front of the camera without script in front of me
4. Interview -
- Try to do a good job and make it look easy and natural.
5. Post interview -
- Make back ups to 3 different external drives

- Contact AMC to request footage not yet out on DVD

- Review raw footage and make notes for editing

- Editing

- Re-Editing

- Publish on website

- Promote it by emailing fan club sites and such
Hours: 300 man-hours between 2 guys

Dollar costs: $10,000 (including travel, hotel, meals, filming and video editing)

Producing a great interview with a real celebrity pipe smoker: Priceless

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That was a ton of work for a show that I am a big fan of.
Now, since I haven't seen any of Daniel Day Lewis' movies except My Left Foot like 20 years ago, add more hours for watching stuff, getting familiar with him and thinking of topics to talk about.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
I really enjoyed your Michael Gladis interview. I watched all four seasons of Mad Men in the past two months and became obsessed. I was always thinking of pipe smoking in the past year but Mad Men and Michael's character made me get off my ass and go buy a pipe. That interview brought me to this website/forum too. good on you for all that work and effort. It was definately cool.
Daniel Day Lewis is huge. Having said that he would be difficult. He comes across as a bit of a shy recluse kind of guy. But you need to watch his movies man. Hes amazing. Must watch the following:
1. There Will Be Blood

2. Gangs of New York

3. In The Name of the Father

4. Last of the Mohicans

5. The Boxer
Didn't Jarred Harris smoke a pipe in Benjerman Button (as the tug boat captain)

Status
Not open for further replies.