PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
So I just got my first mass bulk order in and realized I have less idea what I'm doing that a cat in a SCUBA suit.

So tobacco storage

step 1: tobacco goes in a clean mason jar

step 2: clean lid goes on said mason jar

step 3: should I be creating a vaccuum in the jar? do I need some sort of tool for this? can I just drop it in a pot of boiling water like I'm canning? Am I seriously over analyzing this? under analyzing?
Okay I'll be in the FNG corner I'm the one with the dunce cap

Aug 1, 2012
I never worry about a seal on the jar. I believe it's pretty well airtight as it is. Otherwise steps one and two seem right to me.

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
No boiling - you don't want to cook the tobacco. I just put warm water in the sink and set the filled jars in that to warm the air in the jar.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have less idea what I'm doing that a cat in a SCUBA suit.

Just dive in!

cats-28.jpg

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I just fill em up and close the jar. After a few months most of the jars seem to create their own seal.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
so it seems the answer to my question is similar to how do I get my pipe loaded awesome, stop over thinking dummy. I Swear, I feel like I need some wise old master to come and rap me on the head with a churchwarden somedays. :lol:

ah Zen and the Art of Smoking.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I do just what rothnh does, except I write on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the jar instead of writing on the lid with a sharpie. It's all good.

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
rothnh - it's overtrained, not overthought here. I understand Josh's impulse as I also learned FOOD canning first. We were trained to do something to the jars to make those lids "pop" down within the first 24 hours ... or something failed. It just feels wrong to screw on the lid and set it on the shelf with the seal still up.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have both those small short jars (someone posted in another tread) and I think qt size jars. If it's something I want to try I'll fill the small jar and then put the rest in a qt jars write the mix and date on blue painter tape and put on the front of the jar (saves unstacking jars to find what I'm looking for. Then add it to the shelving in a back room of the basement and forget it. the small jars stay up stairs.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For my bulks I just use the plastic bpa free hinged jars with the rubber seal. Just put the tobacco in the jar and remove the sticker from the bag and place it on the top of the jar. Good topic and kudos to the link of Brian's video.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like the clear plastic bail top jars with silicone gaskets to store my stuff. I have found that rubber gaskets will deteriorate after a decade or so. I have never tried the canning jars because I thought you had to create a vacuum like pipewife was talking about. I saw my ex mother in law canning stuff once and it looked like a pain. Do the canning jars have rubber seals and do they ever go bad?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ cigrmaster: Mason jars do have a rubber seal on the lid. I have stored tobacco in them for up to 10 years and never had a problem.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks roth, next time I need some jars I will take a look at the screw on canning ones.
ohin, you may want to keep an eye on yours from now on. I am not sure if color matters, but the rubber seals that failed me were the white ones on glass bail top jars. It may also be that the canning jars do not have the same issues as the bail top.

Status
Not open for further replies.