Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dreams of Kadath is a plug of Virginias, with black cavendish, burley, Dark Fired Burley, Katerini, and perique. I swear there is a topping of some kind, but it's mild and adds to the overall sweetness. It's Almost like brandy... If this plug isn't toppped then the Katerini and perique are doing some wild things in the tin note department. DOK showcases the Katerini...Curry-like with a spice box feel, a little cinnamon bun at play with the virginias. At times I get a touch of burley and darkfired flirting around the edges, with a plummy perique, and sweetened with bready Virginias. But the Katerini is the star player in my opinion. The cavendish pops it's head out now and again offering a little brown sugar. This is a wounderful plug. It reminds me of GLP Temple Bar, but the dark fired and burley really take it away from clone territory.
I can say that this is in the "Smoke Exclusively" Deparment. It's complex at times and changes throughout the bowl. I've only smoked about three bowls. I will add on to the review if things change. 5Stars!!!!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good review. Sounds delicious. Glad they went with a Lovecraft theme, now looking forward to see if they do a William S. Burroughs series...

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for the review. I was not planning on buying any more tobacco for a while, but with the release of these tasty sounding Lovecraft themed baccys...I don't think I have a choice

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jteI5-ofcE0
Kadath is with all of us.
These look really tasty, all of them:
Awakened Elder
After centuries of undisturbed slumber, something has awakened them. In their return, a great plume of exotic smoke rises from the Deep, redolent with notes of Latakia, Katsuri, Virginias, Burley, Perique, and black Cavendish.
Dreams of Kadath
Your journey to Kadath will not be an easy one. Before you descend the steps into the Dreamlands, prepare yourself with this fragrant blend of dark-fired Kentucky, Katerini, Perique, Virginia, Burley, and black Cavendish.
Innsmouth
A strange piece of jewelry sends you on a quest down the accursed and decrepit streets of Innsmouth. Armed with this singular blend of Virginias, Katerini, Perique, and black Cavendish, it's your duty to uncover the truth. The Deep truth.
Mad Fiddler
The eerie, otherworldly sound of a violin breaches the walls between your rooms. As the Mad Fiddler reaches his crescendo, embers take to your leaf, setting your mixture of Virginia, Kasturi, Perique, and black Cavendish ablaze in the darkness.
Miskatonic Mixture
Amidst the old tomes in a remote corner of the library, you discover an obscure reference to an occult recipe: a pinch of granulated Perique over a bed of Katerini and Virginia, finished with a dash of sweet black Cavendish to cure the Madness.
Read some H.P. Lovecraft to accompany these delicious-looking tobacco blends:
* http://www.sacred-texts.com/nec/hpl/index.htm

* http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

* http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
I was exceptionally interested in these and was looking for some reviews and had yet to find any. Thanks for this! I have a large bulk order put together next so it might not make it on that order but hopefully they will stick around for a couple weeks more. There are at least three I’m seriously eyeing. Awakened Elder and Mad fiddler for sure. The one you reviewed was the third. Thanks!

This one is on my radar,.. although I get this looming feeling that someone is watching me. Ever since my explorations for the lost lands of Mnar, I have been haunted by this nagging sensation. Packing my pipes, lighting them, and the unexpected vision of eyes reflected in my eyelids when I close them, as if some giant invisible beast is staring into my waking thoughts. I fear my only resolution might be... :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve not even heard of this one but since you mentioned Temple Bar I’ll have to give it a whirl... I absolutely love Temple Bar! I’m hoping they release it in the 8 oz tins, hint hint.
Thanks for your review.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea, I've been smoking this one non stop. It does remind me of Temple Bar, which makes me think that TB has Katerini. I picked up the Mad Fiddler tin also. Next order will be more of Kadath. I love this burley Virginia oriental blends. C&D Riverboat Gambler is another great one.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
This just became available again at Smoking Pipes. Since this is a plug I am wanting to try this. I am curious though since I was under the impression that here in the states a true plug was not/has not been made, that is with whole leaves pressed together under pressure to produce a British/Irish style plug. Maybe somebody at C&D or SP can tell us how it was made?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ok. I'm thinking the tin note is little bit like a Cherry Cordial. DOK isnt sold as an aromatic. Go figure.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Davidintexas,here's a brief description of our plug making process. We use large pieces of leaf, known in the industry as "strips", to make the blend. Once blended, moisture is added and then the blended leaf is loaded into our old Robt. Legg swing press. The plug is held under 2,100 lbs psi.for a short period of time. We then remove the block, wrap it in butcher paper and transfer it to a 12 ton press for a longer period. Unfortunately, at least as far as I am aware, no one makes the steam-jacketed presses like those used to make the traditional Irish and English plugs and these old machines are really, really rare. The steam pressing process is really what sets those Irish/English products apart from the plugs that we produce. The plugs we produce are similar to the composition of old American plug tobaccos like Days Work or Canon but are pressed more densely, though not quite as densely as the Irish plugs like Mick McQuaid.
Hope that helps to answer your question.

--Jeremy

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The steam pressing process is really what sets those Irish/English products apart from the plugs that we produce.
Fascinating, Jeremy. Thanks for posting this and the other interesting information. I'm off to shop for a twelve ton press.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I love Katerini.
Jeremy you've been messing around with katerini for awhile. Golden days of yore, Bijou, and the Lovecraft series. Is that because you don't find many mixtures with Katerini or is it just your love for the leaf?

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Perdurabo, I think it's kind of both. I think Katerini offers up some really unique flavor characteristics and it is fun to work with in a blend. And it is kind of rare, so that just adds to the fun. But of course I wouldn't want to use it all the time and undermine how special and peculiar Katerini's musty spice and dusty tanginess can be.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Thank you very much for your comments on Dream of Kadath. And I saw your review of Mad Fiddler. Glad you're digging those!

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Thank you Jeremy for that explanation of your process of making plugs. So that explains there is a process of producing a true plug here in the states without resorting to it being produced elsewhere, and then imported to us. Also, it means that it isn't just a dual option of either being an imported plug or a crumble kake style of pressing. For some reason I wasn't aware of this, but am grateful for the knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.