Butane Lighters?

(68 posts)
  • Started 12 months ago by sparrowhawk
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm considering giving up using Zippo lighters for the pipe-specific butanes, but have no idea where to start. Saw a $50-some Calibri at P&C, but is it a good lighter, worth the price. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on one of these lighters, just an attractive, functional one.And what are the advantages of these lighters, if any? Recommendations?

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 12 months ago #
  2. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I was in the U.S then I would have been opting for Kiribi Kabutos and if in England,then it'll be a Peterson Lighter
    (bought mine from James Fox tobacconist in Ireland)additional note:Both aforementioned lighters perform satisfactory while staying indoors, but I wouldn't use them when outdoors because of the faint flame.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 12 months ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you still want to use your zippo, you can always opt for a butane pipe insert. You just replace your regular insert with an insert that is self contained, refillable, and perfect for pipes. Just bought one myself. I think the brand is Z-pipe. They sell them over at P&C's.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 12 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carolina, thanks for posting that. I've been interested in getting something similar. I do all my piping outdoors, and sometimes the whispy Zippo flame doesn't cut it.

Posted 12 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

In my opinion, the best of the butane pipe lighters are of the Old Boy design. The Xikar Pipeline, and the Kiribi lighters are basically copies of the Old Boy.

Like the Zippo, these use a replaceable flint, which sets them apart from the rest of the field that uses a piezo electric igniter, which may not be durable long term.

If you are are wanting something less costly to try out a butane pipe lighter, your local Wal-Mart might have the Ronson Pipe Lighter for $7.95. I bought one about a month ago, and so far it has performed well.

Posted 12 months ago #
  6. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kabuto for me, very reliable. Here is a little background on them..

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/from-sparks-of-good-will-to-the-warmth-of-a-perfect-light/

Posted 12 months ago #
  7. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Xikar Scribe..

Posted 12 months ago #
  8. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are some cheap ones available that are nevertheless refillable. Might not last for a very long time but also not a big loss if you decide you don't like it or if it gets lost.
    Here are some "Cool Pipe Lighter" brand from Danish Pipe Shop for less than 3 Euro: Danish Pipe Shop lighters
    Peter Heinrichs sent me a freebie lighter with a purchase last week. It is also refillable.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 12 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Xicar, an IM Corona Old Boy, and two Kiribi lighters. They all work fine. Perhaps the Kiribi Kabuto is a good option, combining good looks and build with medium price.

I can light outside with any of the above in winds up to 15 knots. (say 18 mph) Takes some practice, hand shielding and several strikes, but it can be done.

Also, not a fan of directed flame.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 12 months ago #
  10. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll second the Ronson Pipe Lighter. Bought one 2 weeks ago and it works great. For only $7.95 I'm getting another one.

Posted 12 months ago #
  11. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I have a Kiribi that I use for indoor use, ie rarely. My go to has been a Zippo with butane insert as stated above. It works pretty well. I also augment with a Bic which, truth be told, is the most reliable as they come. The Bic can withstand wind like the other can’t. Plus they’re dirt cheap.

I’m still working on my outdoor lighting technique, so perhaps it doesn’t matter which flame you use as long as you can effectively light your pipe without scorching your rim in the process.

Posted 12 months ago #
  12. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grill lighters are the way to go.

Posted 12 months ago #
  13. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 12 months ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best on I've ever had is the IM Corona. But it still didn't last 2 years and it is a PITA to have to send it in for repair. And then there's the chance you lose it or it gets stolen. But if you want the best, one of the IM Corona styles will be it IMHO.

The best cheap one I've found is the Vector for around $20 to $24. The mini grill lighters do a great job as well.

IMHO, either spend a hundred and change, and get the IM Corona, or spend less than $25 and get something cheap. The middle of the road stuff is a huge waste of money.

Posted 12 months ago #
  15. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

+1 hoosier. I also have a Vector and for the money, has served me well.

Posted 12 months ago #
  16. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My little Imco mislaid, I picked up a slightly ($45) higher line Vector & have been pretty happy with it.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 12 months ago #
  17. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never used a lighter with a pipe before but my Xikar Cirro is decent for cigars so I'd personally consider one of their offerings if I was in the market for a pipe lighter...

Posted 12 months ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

goose61

Login to Send PM

I've been told that the Clipper Mini Tubes are great for pipes, but for some reason, they are extremely difficult to find here in the States.

Also, there is now a vendor on Amazon selling the dedicated Clipper Pipe Lighter here in the States, but the reviews for it are decidely more mixed than those of the Mini Tubes.

Posted 12 months ago #
  19. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Kiribi Kabuto and a Corona Old Boy. They're both very similar, both work well. I've used both for years with no problems except an occasional clean up and machine oil to the cap hinge. The old boy is a briar case, so it looks pretty nice and it's easy to find a close match in a briar tamper. The Kiribi is a black metal case, be careful with those, they scratch and dent really easily. A lot of the piezos are throw aways.

Oh - and be careful with something like a bic. I've restored fairly many pipes and found several with one side of the chamber fried by someone lighting with a butane pointing in at an angle instead of straight down like a pipe lighter.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 12 months ago #
  20. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can second any one of the Xikar lighters, bought one some years ago that went kaplooey on me but every lighter has a lifetime guarantee, so if it fails, they'll fix or replace it free of charge. I have used the two that I have quite a bit and have no complaints about them, I just have to find them since they got packed up in the move somewhere.

Posted 12 months ago #
  21. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been using hemp wick and lighting IT with a bic. I've got several other butanes, refillable types, but they always seem to break down at some point.

A quick bic flick and the wick is lit.

Saves butane and allows for a soft and leisurely accessible flame, that also is great for re-lights on those bigger bowls when the tobacco level is getting toward the bottom half.

Posted 12 months ago #
  22. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

newbroom, I will have to try that. I think I have a roll of hemp wick around here somewhere that was given to me by a good buddy of mine.

Posted 12 months ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

As for the butane insert adapted in a Zippo gasoline, I have one, it's good for cigarillos (and still especially inside it works badly in the wind), but less good for the pipe because the tank is small and it will not last long!
    In addition it is opaque and we do not see the content ...

Posted 12 months ago #
  24. badbeard

badbeard

Login to Send PM

I would highly recommend you find someone who has an old boy style lighter and try actually using it before you buy it. I bought one mainly because I liked the aesthetic, but after using it for a while I found it to be pretty fiddly to use. I gave it to my father who has old stubby fingers, and he couldn't use it at all. I've since started using Djeep lighters, and I find their extra width and huge button makes it easy to flick with my index finger with the lighter held horizontally. This accomplishes the same thing as an old boy style lighter, and even my arthritic father has taken to using them.

Example:

Posted 12 months ago #
  25. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

If you still want to use your zippo, you can always opt for a butane pipe insert. You just replace your regular insert with an insert that is self contained, refillable, and perfect for pipes. Just bought one myself. I think the brand is Z-pipe.

I use one of these in a Zippo lighter and it works well. you can also buy them on eBay.

Posted 12 months ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you'll have better results if you regrip the lighter so the thumb actuates the wheel and holds down the lever for lighting.
    Also start by holding the lighter vertically, then tilt the bowl and lighter towards each other while drawing the flame in with inhaling through the stem.

Never a problem with the Old Boy, which I use similarly to the above as with DJeeps or BICs. Hope this helps!

Posted 12 months ago #
  27. badbeard

badbeard

Login to Send PM

I think you'll have better results if you regrip the lighter so the thumb actuates the wheel and holds down the lever for lighting.
    Also start by holding the lighter vertically, then tilt the bowl and lighter towards each other while drawing the flame in with inhaling through the stem.

Never a problem with the Old Boy, which I use similarly to the above as with DJeeps or BICs. Hope this helps!

Actually I don't have better luck that way at all. That's why I use a Djeep. It's easier to hold and light with my index finger(which feels way more natural), and I get a clear view of what the flame is doing. Starting vertically pretty much defeats the purpose and ergonomics of having a sideways firing flame(like and Old Boy or Zippo with Pipe insert).

Posted 12 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

moose97

Login to Send PM

I got one of the Zippo inserts - it goes by "Thunderbird" on Amazon. So far I've been happy

Posted 12 months ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BB- Diff strokes and all. Using a finger to light and hold is awkward at best for me.

Posted 12 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

grimpuffer

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy my Kiribi lighter I got as a gift last year.

You’ll read good and bad about a lot of different high end pipe lighters but I say if you want one go for it.

The advantages are nothing different in my opinion to a cheaper bic other than the angle of the flame is more finger friendly, and they just look cool. I’ve always been a sucker for nice lighters.

Posted 11 months ago #
  31. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got my eye on a Kiribi but I've been happy with some no-name dual flame torch lighters I got on Amazon (3 pack for $25). The jet flame works for cigars and the soft flame for pipes. Could also make some crème brulé with them as well.

Here's some pics of the 2 flames as low and high as they'll go:

Posted 11 months ago #
  32. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I use that lighter when I make creme brulee.Pretty slick lighter.

Posted 11 months ago #
  33. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any other fans of lighter fluid here? I squirt a bit in the bowl, stuff, then hit it with a MAP torch. Never need a relight.

Posted 11 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

spugni

Login to Send PM

I recently purchased a Peterson lighter. It has been very reliable. I highly recommend it. I got mine from gq tobacco in the UK. It was much cheaper than US retailers even with the shipping charges.

Posted 11 months ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any other fans of lighter fluid here? I squirt a bit in the bowl, stuff, then hit it with a MAP torch. Never need a relight.

Oh, damn. I have been doing it wrong. I've been filling the pipe with tobacco first, then squirting on the fluid, then the torch. Got any photos or videos of your method??

Posted 11 months ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's another thread on butanes, with some illustrations.
    LINK to the thread.

Posted 11 months ago #
  37. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Xikar Pipline broke within two months. No issues exchanging it. Still not a great lighter. Bought a Kiribi Kabuto vintage black, awesome lighter. Easy to use super solid feel huge fuel capacity. Really enjoy it. Also zippo butane insert works great. Like the flip / “clink” of the zippo. Good luck. PS: no butane lighter works well in the wind. I also find smoking a pipe in the wind difficult and annoying.

Posted 11 months ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Place a flat piece of wood or cardboard or almost anything flat and small and clamp it with your hand. You can still draw with it in place, usually, and the damper keeps the wind out. Good up to 25 kts, though lighting may be a touch tricky....

Posted 11 months ago #
  39. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I desperately want to give one of those Kiribi lighters a try, but never seem to justify the cost. Bic and Djeep are just so affordable. But you should let me live vicariously through you and get a Kiribi. Advantages, you look really cool, there is a softer flame, there are two holes, and thus two flames, so it is much better at evenly lighting a pipe, the flame is angled better to save your rim, and you look really cool.

Posted 11 months ago #
  40. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have lots of lighters. The one I use most is the Zippo with the butane pipe insert.

Posted 11 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

And you fill it all how much? Because month mine at the end of 15 days it is high time to fill it ...

Posted 11 months ago #
  42. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A difference between the Kiribi and the IM Corona Old boys is the 1-2x greater butane capacity.

Posted 11 months ago #
  43. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a entire draw full of crappy $50 lighters that worked for awhile then crap out - so just go for an Old Boy. I have one still going strong after almost 10yrs now; easy maintenance and works every time.

Posted 11 months ago #
  44. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

Over the years, I've tried many different lighters but have always come back to my trusty pipe Zippos. They're inexpensive and easy to maintain, will light your tobacco in just about any weather conditions and won't scorch the rim of your pipe. Plus, they come with a lifetime warranty. The only disadvantage to a Zippo, IMO, is that you have to refill it fairly often.

Here's a PipesMagazine article from a few years back with reviews of lighters (and lots of advice in the comments) that you may find helpful: http://pipesmagazine.com/python/general-pipe-section/a-few-pipe-lighter-reviews/

Posted 11 months ago #
  45. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Like a lot of guys, I've accumulated quite a few lighters over the years. I smoke pipes and cigars. Some of them were fairly expensive. I have a few Zippos too. IMO when it comes to actual utility, I wouldn't spend a lot on a lighter now. It's just not necessary. Personally, after losing too many high dollar lighters, I went with cheaper alternatives like the Ronson. They work just fine. (On the other hand, if a guy just enjoys owning & using an expensive lighter, - a pride of ownership thing - that's fine too.)

P.S. - Cut a 'Ranger Band' from a bicycle inner tube. You'll essentially have a big wide rubber band that can wrap around a Zippo to cover the seam between the lighter's top and bottom halves. This greatly limits fuel evaporation and time between refills.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 11 months ago #
  46. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

About fifteen years ago, I went through a "lighter phase". I had to have an Old Boy, Dunhill Pipe Lighter, Dupont, etc. Now, I am happy to pick up a six pack of Bic lighters for under 8 bucks and take the other money that I would have spent on a higher end lighter and spend it on tobacco.

Posted 11 months ago #
  47. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aside from my poor experiences with lighters, would be tempted to try a Kiribi. However, I smoke 12-16 bowls a day and even with a reliable lighter it seems to me it wouldn't hold up well over the long haul of that many bowls per day. Would go through too much fuel, too, so it's still matches for me.

Posted 11 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

robflores25

Login to Send PM

I use the zippo pipe lighter ( the zippo original not the butane inserts) when outdoors when nothing else will work. And my Kiribi Kabuto most of the time. It’s really a great lighter.

Posted 11 months ago #
  49. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several Zippo lighters with a pipe lighting insert. They work pretty well putdoors in the wind. Also, If you send your Zippo lighter to the company, they will fit it with a pipe-lighting insert at no charge. (N.b., it must be a genuine Zippo.)

Eric
    Posted 11 months ago #
  50. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got an old Corona Pipemaster from the 60's...had it refitted and with the help of a friend it now is working great. For outdoor I use a Zippo with pipe insert. Works just fine in a wind. Love the pipemaster. tho.

Posted 11 months ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

m6aeyds

Login to Send PM

Just brought a clipper pipe lighter after using a £1.75 disposable for 6 months (refilling it every couple of weeks) that is now resigned to my work kit along with my 99p 3 in 1 tool. The clipper is great, used for 5 days and needed refuelling but I'm smoking 203 bowls a day and gas is a couple of quid for a large canister so no big deal.

Posted 11 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

I’ve been using one called Vertigo made by Lotus. $19.95 at my local B&M. It’s a recent purchase so I can’t comment on longevity but it is refillable. Works well.

Posted 11 months ago #
  53. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

but I'm smoking 203 bowls a day and gas is a couple of quid for a large canister so no big deal.

Is this a typo?

Posted 11 months ago #
  54. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I grabbed the 8 dollar special at Walmart mentioned above, the Ronson pipe lighter. Looks fairly nice, works great, and the Czech tool is a bit small but may save you in a pinch. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted 11 months ago #
  55. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered one of the new Stokbye's Generation 4 lighters, expected tomorrow. The price seemed reasonable to a newbie with butanes, looked attractive, and was sold out at many stores. Anyone with any experience with this lighter? I'll report further tomorrow.

Posted 11 months ago #
  56. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got the Generation 4 butane lighter today. My initial impression: pretty cool. Clear instructions for use, stylish design, flame adjustable to proper size, works well for a reasonable price (around $40+). Nice lighter for social occasions too.

Posted 11 months ago #
  57. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had the Gen 4 lighter for a couple of days now, but I'm having problems igniting the thing. The ignition wheel is tiny and side mounted, so it's hard, even painful, to keep trying to snap the flint and thus ignite the butane. Is This common with butane lighters, and you just get used to it?

Posted 11 months ago #
  58. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

None of my lighters exhibit this, but I am not familiar with your model.

But generally they should catch on the first try. Only thing I can think of is the flame adjustment is either too high or two low.

Posted 11 months ago #
  59. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

My first choice is matches or even better hemp wick. I would love a Kiribi, old boy, or Peterson but for that much money I always rather get another pipe or more tins, or food even. I have the brog copy of an old boy which I think is the same as the xicar flint butane arm cap kinda lighters. It's pretty and works fine but the fluid capacity is pitifully small. It has a little plastic tank inside rather than. The more expensive ones using the entire inside.
    I've also had good luck with lighters under twenty dollars, if you use good butane and fill properly they can last many years. I have cigar lighters I got in Chinatown. For less than $10 15-20 years ago that still work fine. Whereas any hundred dollar colibris I had malfunctioned quickly if not instantly.
    Lastly, I found a lighter at dollar tree that's a pocket lighter bbq lighter hybrid disposable called: Crocs handy lighter with a silhouette of a crocodile on it. Works great so I bought a bunch, and like a pipe nail if falls into the abyss or disappears no big deal..

Posted 11 months ago #
  60. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can someone tell me how to ignite a Gen4 lighter? Tip of thumb (painful) or joint of thummb?

Posted 11 months ago #
  61. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just checked the flint and replaced it. Works fine now.

Posted 11 months ago #
  62. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lastly, I found a lighter at dollar tree that's a pocket lighter bbq lighter hybrid disposable called: Crocs handy lighter with a silhouette of a crocodile on it. Works great so I bought a bunch, and like a pipe nail if falls into the abyss or disappears no big deal.

@ eggrollpiper, Thanks for the heads up. I use only stick matches which makes it a bit difficult when I want to smoke outside. I stopped at the local Dollar Tree and picked up a couple of these Crocs disposables. I only smoke once a day so it's a very cheap investment for me. Maybe in the future I'll invest in a nice lighter.

Posted 11 months ago #
  63. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 11 months ago #
  64. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

(If you select the full image, and get the URL from that, you'll have a larger picture.)

Looks good. I find that paper matches work all right in a wind, with major shielding by the hands and body.

Posted 11 months ago #
  65. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 11 months ago #
  66. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn...it came out huge! I'm going to have to work on this.

Posted 11 months ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

I've been using the Crocs Handy off and on for about a year. Easily the best disposable pipe lighter I've found that is readily available.

Posted 11 months ago #
  68. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't think there's an easy way to resize images once they're in your album. Have to resize them before uploading.

Posted 11 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow, cshubhra