PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm considering giving up using Zippo lighters for the pipe-specific butanes, but have no idea where to start. Saw a $50-some Calibri at P&C, but is it a good lighter, worth the price. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on one of these lighters, just an attractive, functional one.And what are the advantages of these lighters, if any? Recommendations?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
If I was in the U.S then I would have been opting for Kiribi Kabutos and if in England,then it'll be a Peterson Lighter

(bought mine from James Fox tobacconist in Ireland)additional note:Both aforementioned lighters perform satisfactory while staying indoors, but I wouldn't use them when outdoors because of the faint flame.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If you still want to use your zippo, you can always opt for a butane pipe insert. You just replace your regular insert with an insert that is self contained, refillable, and perfect for pipes. Just bought one myself. I think the brand is Z-pipe. They sell them over at P&C's.
images

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
In my opinion, the best of the butane pipe lighters are of the Old Boy design. The Xikar Pipeline, and the Kiribi lighters are basically copies of the Old Boy.
Like the Zippo, these use a replaceable flint, which sets them apart from the rest of the field that uses a piezo electric igniter, which may not be durable long term.
If you are are wanting something less costly to try out a butane pipe lighter, your local Wal-Mart might have the Ronson Pipe Lighter for $7.95. I bought one about a month ago, and so far it has performed well.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Kabuto for me, very reliable. Here is a little background on them..
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/from-sparks-of-good-will-to-the-warmth-of-a-perfect-light/

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
There are some cheap ones available that are nevertheless refillable. Might not last for a very long time but also not a big loss if you decide you don't like it or if it gets lost.

Here are some "Cool Pipe Lighter" brand from Danish Pipe Shop for less than 3 Euro: Danish Pipe Shop lighters
-img-26160-w760-h685.jpg

Peter Heinrichs sent me a freebie lighter with a purchase last week. It is also refillable.
photo-on-7-18-18-at-419-pm-600x400.jpg

Reactions: Usman

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a Xicar, an IM Corona Old Boy, and two Kiribi lighters. They all work fine. Perhaps the Kiribi Kabuto is a good option, combining good looks and build with medium price.
I can light outside with any of the above in winds up to 15 knots. (say 18 mph) Takes some practice, hand shielding and several strikes, but it can be done.
Also, not a fan of directed flame.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I have a Kiribi that I use for indoor use, ie rarely. My go to has been a Zippo with butane insert as stated above. It works pretty well. I also augment with a Bic which, truth be told, is the most reliable as they come. The Bic can withstand wind like the other can’t. Plus they’re dirt cheap.
I’m still working on my outdoor lighting technique, so perhaps it doesn’t matter which flame you use as long as you can effectively light your pipe without scorching your rim in the process.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The best on I've ever had is the IM Corona. But it still didn't last 2 years and it is a PITA to have to send it in for repair. And then there's the chance you lose it or it gets stolen. But if you want the best, one of the IM Corona styles will be it IMHO.
The best cheap one I've found is the Vector for around $20 to $24. The mini grill lighters do a great job as well.
IMHO, either spend a hundred and change, and get the IM Corona, or spend less than $25 and get something cheap. The middle of the road stuff is a huge waste of money.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've never used a lighter with a pipe before but my Xikar Cirro is decent for cigars so I'd personally consider one of their offerings if I was in the market for a pipe lighter...

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
I've been told that the Clipper Mini Tubes are great for pipes, but for some reason, they are extremely difficult to find here in the States.
Also, there is now a vendor on Amazon selling the dedicated Clipper Pipe Lighter here in the States, but the reviews for it are decidely more mixed than those of the Mini Tubes.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I have a Kiribi Kabuto and a Corona Old Boy. They're both very similar, both work well. I've used both for years with no problems except an occasional clean up and machine oil to the cap hinge. The old boy is a briar case, so it looks pretty nice and it's easy to find a close match in a briar tamper. The Kiribi is a black metal case, be careful with those, they scratch and dent really easily. A lot of the piezos are throw aways.
Oh - and be careful with something like a bic. I've restored fairly many pipes and found several with one side of the chamber fried by someone lighting with a butane pointing in at an angle instead of straight down like a pipe lighter.

Jul 15, 2011
I can second any one of the Xikar lighters, bought one some years ago that went kaplooey on me but every lighter has a lifetime guarantee, so if it fails, they'll fix or replace it free of charge. I have used the two that I have quite a bit and have no complaints about them, I just have to find them since they got packed up in the move somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.