PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
How does one generally pack a bowl when Breath smoking? Is a tighter draw better than a loser draw for this technique or like most things in the pipe world it comes down to preference?

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I prefer a ligheter draw for breath smoking. I can tamp it tighter anytime, if I want to change the smoking technique.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Good question -- and I don't think it's ever been addressed before. I occasionally slip into breath sipping, and usually

when clenching the pipe in my teeth. But I've never thought about packing the bowl differently to maximize the effect.

Following this thread will be interesting.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I'd like lighter pack and when I smoking using a temper for a right draw(little bit loser draw)

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great question and one I hadn't thought about, either. Like Cortez, I only usually slip into breath sipping when I'm clenching and I don't pack differently for that - it just happens. I am currently consciously working at the breath technique when I'm just holding and smoking the pipe, but I haven't changed the way I pack; it seems to work very well with my normal pack but with a much better draw. I'm going to keep at it this way for a while, without changing the pack, until I see how it goes but so far, so good!

Personally, I don't discharge the smoke to go back through the stem. I just don't seal my lips, and the smoke just dissipates through my mouth, but the key is to not see your own smoke, or you are doing it too fast. You never see smoke coming from men clenching in old movies, but you do cigarettes or cigars.

I never saw pipe smokers making smoke growing up, working men, farmers, men walking to church with pipe clenched in the jaw. It was always the newbie that you saw making billowing puffs of smoke, like kids with a toy. So, I just naturally have always tried to keep the smoke as invisible as possible. My daughters would tell you that the only time they see smoke coming from me is when they've pushed me too far, ha ha.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I had never heard of this technique but read about it here this morning. I've been trying it out today and while I don't have it down yet, I find it is an enjoyable way to smoke and very relaxing. Thank you all for the lesson. :)

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Huh. Now I know what I'll do when I have two broken legs and cannot do any work or chores...

Sounds like it might require some practice.

Spencer

The key is just melding with the pipe. You have to just forget about the pipe. It's like driving a car. First get the mechanics for that particular pipe down, ad then you're really driving when you are no longer thinking about it. My uncle used to be so comfortable that he would fall asleep with the pipe in his mouth. It was just a part of him. It's like a zen thing.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I want to thank you for this thread. Been experimenting since it was posted, and now I feel as though I just "grew up" as a pipe smoker. Plus, I finally can smoke my thin-walled pipes such as my Piccadilly pictured below. Walls are probably 3/16 inch, but "breath-smoking," it not only doesn't get hot, it's as if I'm never going to finish the thing. It lasts forever.
I've tried several blends in it this way, and it's as if I'm tasting them for the first time. It made mediocre drug store blends delicious! Cool, tasty, relaxing.
Thank you!
Pups
ScreenShot2014-03-11at13816PM_zpsb61349c1.png

Jan 8, 2013
Right there with you 12pups. Ive been working on this for a while, definitely keeps the pipes cool and the smokes long. I still need some work, but I'm getting there.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Um... no delicate way to put this: I tend to pool drool and have to splat out a puddle every so often.
I think my house pipe (a sitter) has too big a stem for this. I have to hold that one. But smaller stems work out better and I don't mind switching positions around. The bigger stem has a "home" in one spot, and I don't like to clench it much. I'm smoking that one, I'm not doing anything else.
But my Kaywoodies and this little Piccadilly, no problem. They're small, light, and have no-nuissance bits/stems.

I drool a tiny bit too, but only when I am doing something that requires me to tilt forward. I just instinctively remove my pipe if I have to bend forward, and try to maintain whatever it is that I am doing with my head held straight. My workbench is set up perfect for this.
Practice, ha, like that so terrible. I think I'll do a little practicing myself. I could have sworn, just one second ago, you had pics of a pipe. Anyways, cool pipe. Keep on...

Status
Not open for further replies.