Tags:   
[sticky]

Boycott List

(118 posts)
  1. sapo59

sapo59

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Scott's lawn care products including the miracle grow line of products. This company has a no hire policy for all tobacco users. I also understand they do random testing and will terminate an employee for testing positive for nicotine. I want to encourage all members to not buy products or services from this company. In my opinion such practices are discriminatory and a prime example of how far some anti-tobacco radicals are willing to go to belittle all tobacco users. In the United States of America "We the people" of legal age are supposed to have free will of the decisions we make. If an adult chooses to use tobacco products that is their informed choice to make. I do not believe a employer should be the one to dictate what you do in your own home away from work.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. python

Bob

Would Smoke Rabbits if He Could Keep them Lit

Login to Send PM

State Farm Insurance Company
    They will no longer allow smoking on their premises. No smoking outside or in the parking areas. They also encourage people to call the 'code of conduct hot line' to report violators. I will never use State Farm Insurance and for those of you who do use them, I urge you to seriously consider changing to a different insurance company.

(Link to my original post about this: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/state-farm-goes-smoke-free)

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty;
    When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

scottydu81

Login to Send PM

it is not related to smoking, but if you will allow me to post, i would like to tell people to boycott skyline chili (if you are in the cincinnati area) since it seems that they are against customers who are licensed to carry concealed weapons, as every resaurant of theirs has a no-gun sign.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

Marshall Cigar Humidors. Mine is the driest place on earth. Worst tobacco related product I've ever bought.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. oppie

oppie

Login to Send PM

Boycott Heinz. They has financed the far left secretive Tides Foundation to the tune of more than $4 million over the years. The Tides Foundation is Evil. If you have alot of time on your hands do searches on The Tides Foundation and The Apollo Alliance and read about these two subjects. Their main goal is to bring the U.S. back to the early 1900's in term of energy. They will financially destroy our coal, oil and natural gas industry, putting millions of people out of work.

NASCAR...Everything else is just a game.
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. juozapas

juozapas

Login to Send PM

My god in heaven....I can't believe what planet some of these companies come from ?? Next they will tell me that I can't wear my blue suede shoes to work...!!!?? Absolutely CRAZY...!!!

"If light travels faster than sound, is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?"
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I'm reading this I'm sitting in the garage (because of the rain) smoking some Kingfisher in one of my Peterson's and in the corner of said garage is 1/2 bag of Scott's Sun And Shade Mix grass seed.
    I think i'll go to the local State Farm office tomorrow, light up and dump the grass seed in their flower beds.
    Should be a fun afternoon.
    Where the heck is the ACLU on this? They can't wait to jump on a manger in a city park during Christmas but the jackbooting of one's civil right to smoke is not on their radar screen.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. duncan

duncan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW, I find the State Farm one kinda funny since I go and have a smoke with my agent every time I visit him. Next time I am there I will have to ask him about it and listen to him go off. With that said I will no longer buy Scott's Lawn care products for my buisness.

Jason,
    The ACLU couldn't give a rat's arse about smoking, unless the minorities own all the tobacco companies.

Wade

Why does it seem that todays youth has added lead paintchips to their daily diet!?!
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. chuckw

chuckw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I already boycott Heinz but for completely different reasons. Never have put myself in Ed Reimer's Good Hands and please DON"T get me started on the ACLU.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  10. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Another forum I'm on just had a large topic on getting everyone to boycott WalMart...talk about a company who treats employees like sh!t, you should hear that guys story.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 8 years ago #
  11. dudleydipstick

dudleydipstick

Login to Send PM

Facebook would probably be appropriate here. I saw this bizarre story today and thought of this thread.

Story from Reason Magazine's Hit & Run Blog

I realize Facebook can decide at their own discretion how they like ad revenue to come in, but it just seems like more of the same toeing the line in order to be PC.

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

The Marriott Smoke-free Hotel Policy . http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?page=smokefree . Lucky for me I bring my own ashtray and watch for smoke detectors in the hall way .And you have to love the if you want to sleep on dirty sheets place this card on the bed . Line 5 is classic . When my daughter was 4 she filled out a survey card for a Marriott Courtyard in San Jose CA stating the room did not meet her standards in crayola .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 8 years ago #
  13. dudleydipstick

dudleydipstick

Login to Send PM

When my daughter was 4 she filled out a survey card for a Marriott Courtyard in San Jose CA stating the room did not meet her standards in crayola .

That's good stuff!

I wonder how much this has to do with Marriott's policy:

"There is a significant room recovery fee for guests who do not comply in order to cover the extensive cost of restoring guest rooms to a smoke-free condition."

Makes me wonder if Marriott would be happy to pay a significant fee for each incidence of illegal labor practices without passing it on to customers. Are they as thorough with making sure employees are legit as they are with training them to be snitches?

The most ridiculous sentence from their website?...

"The continuing efforts of these properties to comply with the smoke-free policy reinforces Marriott’s commitment to being an environmentally friendly company."

WTF?

Posted 8 years ago #
  14. jimbo

jimbo

Login to Send PM

I've boycotted TARGET stores for years. They made a big "to do" in the newspaper when they took all tobacco/smoking articles off their shelves chain-wide, several years ago.

They ain't my mama. So, to hell with them.

Jimbo

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. ernest

ernest

Login to Send PM

I was with a friend the other day at the Hospital.He dropped a pack of cigarettes on the floor and before he could grab them up,a prim and proper lady just about fainted with the horror of seeing them.

Next time I will drop a corncob pipe to see if we get the same reaction.She looked like she was better then anyone else.Good thing someone out there is perfect.

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. searock

searock

Login to Send PM

Cornell & Diehl: Yeah, I know, many of you think these guys are great and they do advertise here... When I owned a shop I had 5 lb. bags of their stuff go mouldy within a month and they would not replace it. Never happened with any other blend. I ate the loss stoically and continued to sell their products... for a while. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I discussed with them the creation of a custom blend for my store and they promptly called my main competator and told them all about it and even give them the proposed recipe. I happened to have a good friend who frequented that other shop too and he told me what had happened. I dropped their products.

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Under no circumstances can I believe that craig could or would allow something like that to happen, Molding tobacco is rare but can show up anytime and anywhere without any concrete evidence as to how it happen. Craig Taller et al are the finest folk and
    tobacconist I know of.

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. strongirish

strongirish

Login to Send PM

I find that hard to believe about Craig myself, they have always been straight up in how they do business. The do not however use preservatives in their tobaccos, just distilled water so they could be more prone to mold. I would think that a call to Craig himself would have resolved any issues though.

It would seem we are going to be boycotting more and more companies in the next few years as the antis have gotton to many of them.

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. chero

chero

Login to Send PM

what about chocolate, ever see the film , the dark side of chocolate, the plantions all use child labor. look it up on the net.

Posted 8 years ago #
  20. wolfscout

wolfscout

Login to Send PM

The blame for push for tobacco free workplaces needs to be placed on the insurance companies who cover those businesses. That is where it comes from. Too many employees who smoke and they raise the companies rates for policies. So it's no longer based on how many employees you have so much as it is on how healthy they are when you first take on the new Group coverage.

Posted 8 years ago #
  21. yoru

yoru

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd say that's horrible practice but from the eyes of a businessman, and an insurance agent -- if you charge equally regardless the person's likliness to become ill, then you won't have enough money to cover everyone who needs it.

What gets me ifs when things like say being a smoker completely disqualify you. Or if I were to die a violent death mental illness would be called a dis-qualifier to my life insurance. Which is actually one of the reasons I dropped my life insurance (another dis-qualifier was self-inflicted causes, and I have every intention of living long enough for tobacco to kill me heh heh)

A bit off-topic, but isn't diagnosing a kid in puberty w/ depression a bit redundant?

Sincerely,

Yoru
    Posted 8 years ago #
  22. capnbellamy

capnbellamy

Login to Send PM

In the UK, Asda. Because it's basically English Walmart. Who own it, come to think.

The UK war on smoking is a country-wide political thing, rather than based around any particular company, so I have litle choice but to agree and continue. Their latest idea is to make all tobacco/cigarettes come in plain packaging covered in health warnings, sold under the counter. I'd like to boycott the government but I'm not sure that would go well.

Posted 8 years ago #
  23. strongirish

strongirish

Login to Send PM

We are letting them take away our freedoms. I write letters to any company or politician that lets the antis do this. It's our voice and I use it all the time.

Posted 8 years ago #
  24. fullbent

fullbent

Login to Send PM

Here in Kentucky,the city of Bowlingreen,(home of the corvette plant)is totally smoke free! They are passing a law,that outdoor smoking could result in a fine!Local bar owners are frowning heavily on the consept.Land of the free,and the home of the brave!My personal opinion ,this is taking things tooooo far.

"If you can't sent money, send tobacco."
    -George Washington to the Continental Congress, 1776
    Posted 8 years ago #
  25. mozwik

mozwik

Login to Send PM

This smoking ban thing is getting out of hand, in the UK they are proposing that all tobacco products be hidden. They have already put huge labels on the cigarettes etc. 'Oh shit, these things are dangerous, I never knew that, I better stop smoking' The taxes they gather from smoking more than pays for the national heath service, effin hypocritical!!

Anyway, I do not live in the UK anymore but I see that a country (US) that was built on tobacco (amongst other things) and freedom is slowly being denied it's rights of freedom.

Freedom is an illusion.

Posted 8 years ago #
  26. mozwik

mozwik

Login to Send PM

I was in Santa Monica walking down the street and there were signs for "no smoking" on the street. You cannot smoke in the open air anymore. You can only smoke under your blanket in a hermetically sealed room, with the lights off!

Posted 8 years ago #
  27. capnbellamy

capnbellamy

Login to Send PM

Not pleased about it but here: Democracy is about the majority of people deciding what's going on. A democraticaly-elected leader is elected by the majority of the votes. If smokers are in the minority, then their interests are going to be passed over or looked upon as lesser than those majority. That's just the way it works, unfortunatly.

Posted 8 years ago #
  28. collindow

Collin Dow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thing is, cap, the individual American is grossly misinformed about the dangers of smoking, and as such politicians (who don't actually care about smoking one way or another) can say "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" and get themselves a lot of votes, easily. It's a circular cycle that started with one dick who hated smoking. He got more people against it, got a study commissioned, the study found that SHS does nothing, they lied to get public opinion on their side, the study is formally decried by REAL scientists, this is ignored by EVERYONE, politicians tell us they're think of the children, the idea that SHS is terrible gets deeper into everyone's heads, more falsified studies are conducted, announced, decried, politicians tell us they're STILL thinking of the children and so on and so forth.

Wow, that was one hell of run-on sentence.

Photobucket
    The best gift to give a woman is what she told you she wanted when she thought you weren't listening.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  29. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the whole anti-tobacco nazism is more so just an anti-cigarette nazism that's blown out of proportion. Most of us pipe smokers know that Ivy League universities have done studies that show pipe smokers out living non pipe smokers. We just get lumped in with the cigarette crowd because the cigarette manufacturers claim to use tobacco. I'd love to see the ratio of additive chemicals to actual tobacco leaf in any cigarette. Maybe what pipe and cigar smokers should do is jump on the cigarette industry as well because of their mistreatment of the tobacco.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 8 years ago #
  30. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In New Zealand the government has a policy whereby they raise the price on tobacco every six months.. right now its near 50 NZ for 50 grams of borkam riff. shops aren't allowed to display advertising ciggarettes have pictures of gangreen and rotten teeth on them and allsorts. ( i personally get the ones that have the picture of the pregnant lady on them as i am sure my smoking won't affect my unborn child but you know the concept of personal freedom and personal responsibilty has just gone down the gurgler in our nanny state. oh thats $62.91 in usd

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  31. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try to stay out of Wallmart, but that's about it.

If I were to boycott even a tiny percentage of the businesses and corporations that use my money to promote things contrary to my beliefs,...I'd have to move to a farm, grow my family's food and learn to spin and weave.

Posted 8 years ago #
  32. goodkat

goodkat

Login to Send PM

in the UK they are proposing that all tobacco products be hidden.

That's already happened in my province. It's extremely annoying because I now have to have back up brands if they don't carry mine. It sometimes takes 4-5 guesses before I buy a pack. Also, you can't bring your children into tobacco shops even though they're all non-smoking. It's alright for them to come into a liqour store with you though.

Posted 8 years ago #
  33. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was getting life insurance a while back, I told them I smoked a pipe,
    They took blood from me and it came back that the level was low enough that I passed as a non smoker.
    The company is New York Life. Something positive if a pipe smoker is looking for insurance an smokes a pipe daily

Posted 8 years ago #
  34. mjtannen

mjtannen

Login to Send PM

I try not to get excited. Pipe smoking relaxes me. I shop where I get the best merchandise at the best price at the most convenient location. I love Heinz ketchup and I buy insurance where the best coverage is offered at the best price. I shop at Walmart because of the above. Nobody is forced to work there. I smoke my pipe where and when I want and I try to enjoy my life always. If anybody has a problem with my pipe....they have the problem....I enjoy my smokes. What I suggest and encourage is that all you guys carry a pipe with you always and be sure to put it in your mouth when you enter no smoking establishments. If your pipe is not lit, you are not smoking. Tell anybody who bothers you to call the police and report a guy with a pipe in his mouth; and then to stick their opinions where the sun doesn't shine. In other words, Fnck Off!

Posted 8 years ago #
  35. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What I suggest and encourage is that all you guys carry a pipe with you always and be sure to put it in your mouth when you enter no smoking establishments.

Get real, very bad form! This is the worst advice I've read on a pipe board in awhile
    If your pipe is not lit, you are not smoking. Tell anybody who bothers you to call the police and report a guy with a pipe in his mouth; and then to stick their opinions where the sun doesn't shine. In other words, Fnck Off!

Oh they will! And you will be arrested for disorderly conduct. I will guarantee your pipe will get "accidentally" stepped on by the police when the handcuff you. Around here you might "slip and fall" on the way to booking if you tell the wrong person to shove it up your _ or to F off

Posted 8 years ago #
  36. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

Oh they will! And you will be arrested for disorderly conduct. I will guarantee your pipe will get "accidentally" stepped on by the police when the handcuff you. Around here you might "slip and fall" on they way to booking if you tell the wrong person to shove it up your _ or to F off

And that's where a good lawyer comes in. At least in Ohio, the law reads...

(A) “Smoking” means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or other lighted smoking device for burning tobacco or any other plant.

Now, I've noticed a tendency for this forum to get rather silly.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  37. wolfscout

wolfscout

Login to Send PM

Individuals such as mjtannen's comments are why people/masses/media are so willing to rally against "type casting".

Posted 8 years ago #
  38. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RJ Clarke Tobacconist in Vancouver BC. Unless your going in there to buy a high end Mont Blanc pen, you get no attention, the clerk thats always there is not knowledgable at all, and of course to top it all off, $50 for a tin of tobacco (I know that's just taxes, but I'd be willing to pay it for a homey B&M experience).

Steer clear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mjtannen As pipe smokers we should take the gentleman's route, IMHO. You get more bears with honey than vinegar!

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 8 years ago #
  39. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

Is that to say that a gentleman should allow himself to be pushed around when they are not in the wrong? I've taken to keeping a small laminated piece of paper, no bigger than my drivers license, in my wallet. It has on it Chapter 3794, which says I am not allowed to smoke in a public place. The kicker is, on the back is what the state of Ohio defines as a public place.

(B) “Public place” means an enclosed area to which the public is invited or in which the public is permittedand that is not a private residence.

I live in a small town, no bigger than 5000 people. Someone once told the police that I was smoking, so they came over. He told me I was in violation of the law, to which I told him I was not. Took out the little card and showed him. He merely nodded his head, told me he was sorry for distubing me, and shrugged to the women who called. The moral of the story is simple.

Know the law, because it can be on your side.

Posted 8 years ago #
  40. viceroy

viceroy

Login to Send PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303339904576405682014528872.html?mod=wsj_share_facebook

This is a waste of time for cities to try and ban public smoking. There is really know way to monitor these kinds of laws.

Posted 8 years ago #
  41. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Add Humana to the boycott list.

Humana won’t hire tobacco users

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 8 years ago #
  42. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm really surprised Walmart hasn't adopted a no hire policy against smokers... I'm sure it'll happen soon. Walmart has already removed the smoking area from the employee lounge in almost all stores, and they have a big campaign going trying to encourage employees to give up tobacco.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 8 years ago #
  43. ranger

ranger

Login to Send PM

Not a boycott, but definitely one for the books.

There was no smoking for the outdoor fireworks display?....Absolutely ridiculous!

RLTW
    Posted 8 years ago #
  44. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

No offense to anyone, but I stay in a lot of hotel rooms, most are Marriott's. I sure don't want to smell cigarette or other smoke in my room, so I am a fan of their policy. The Courtyard properties have a very nice area to smoke outside and most have a covered smoking area near one of the side doors. That works for me.

Al

Posted 8 years ago #
  45. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like this thread, but have not come across anything to add to this list.

This is essentially a bump so I'm hoping new members that joined in the last 3 months can add to the list of places that have placed unreasonable/unfair/unruly/stupid restrictions on smokers.

@misterrogers - I like your style. Maybe I need to brush up with some smoking laws/loopholes for Texas. See what situations I can avoid. Very cool. Of course the Police officer that read your card deserves some credit as well for being a reasonable human being!

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Unless it's an emergency...one of my local hospitals - they were the first (and so far the only) to implement a ban on hiring smokers (though it's not actually hospital wide, just certain departments). Hospital wide there is a total ban on smoking on the grounds...so much for those who are stressed out about a loved one huh?!

Before I went in the photography biz, my previously employer was a Pharmaceutical company. They obviously didn't condone smoking, there was no smoking on the premises, but we were nestled into a part of a residential area. We technically didn't have "breaks" but the HR Manager and Site Director would tell us, if you need to smoke, go across the street...just don't tick of the locals, be sure to pick up after yourself.

I've been gone 2 years and friends say there's been talk of ending any and all smoking, but it's shot down as soon as it's brought up and the idea has been shelved.

Posted 7 years ago #
  47. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

crazy times

Posted 7 years ago #
  48. digitalshave

digitalshave

Login to Send PM

I was attending my Medical/Surgical Nursing class yesterday. The obigitory smoking policy came up for our clinical sites. They preceded to tell us that "Clark Memorial Hospital" in Jeffersonville, IN as a part of their policy had advocated the firing of a Clinical Instructor for smoking in her own car in the parking lot. They have a special code to alert security that someone in the building has a visible tobacco product, people are promptly and rudely escorted off the premisis and told not to return. This applies to anything tobacco related, pipe, cigar, can of dip, cigarette box, even a lighter. Fortunately, my smoking is limited to the barbershop and various deserted public parks.

Posted 7 years ago #
  49. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

Note: I'm only speaking about nicotine addicts here 99.9% of which smoke cigs (in my experience anyway).
    I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't hire a smoker, but a smoker would have to bring a lot more to the table than a non smoker skill/knowledge/talent wise. The smokers I've worked with seem to put work that they're being paid to do behind their habit, even when the work is semi critical (kinda sucks when you can't get in touch with anyone in IT because they're out on smoke breaks and doctors can't get to patient charts (true story)). Plus, sorry, but I just don't like the smell of a cig smoker post smoke break. The odor invaded my cube several times a day at my last job. Right now while I'm living in a 30 man tent the odor invades my living area...which is even worse. I'm in no way in favor of any kind of outright bans but you can't help personal preference on some things. And I do think that private establishments should be able to ban/allow smoking at their own discretion. I'm pretty much against any kind of goverment intervention So no, the gov shouldn't be able to tell a private business what they can and can't allow. Not being able to smoke in a bar because it's illegal is just plain dumb IMHO. Sorry...probably went a bit OT there

No, my name is spelled 'Luxury Yacht' but it's actually pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The smokers I've worked with seem to put work that they're being paid to do behind their habit

I am going to take a HUGE exception to this. Before I struck out on my own and began working from home...I worked a mortgage company, a bank, a chemical company, billing office for 50 doc cardiology practice, a construction company, tobacco company, and finally a Pharma company.

And at times having discussed this topic with both my mother and father...

This goes both ways...in all jobs, that I've held, my parents have held as well as other friend and family members, there is almost an equal number of non-smokers who can't be found at their desks because they're to damn busy socializing, with the mantra, well smokers get to go outside.

Every place I've worked for has been strict, in PA breaks are not required, but most places give you 2 15 minute breaks a day and are strict about it. Most smoker get their nic fix and are back in...especially days when the weather is piss poor (and especially when it's ice cold, or fire hot out).

Posted 7 years ago #
  51. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

That's why I made sure I was careful about my wording and said "The smokers I've worked with" as opposed to "all smokers". The places I've worked at have usually been pretty lenient as far as breaks go. You take them when you want, no micro management etc. The last smoker I worked with would go out on his breaks no matter what was going on. He would also take his first break 15 minutes after he got there in the mornings...so maybe I've just been exposed to bad workers regardless of smoking habits.

Posted 7 years ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yeah and the statement I forgot to finish with is...it goes both ways, there are smokers that abuse breaks and socialize, there are also non-smokers who socialize and abuse breaks. I've known smokers and non-smokers who didn't take any breaks minus lunch.

Personally, I took my breaks, especially at the pharma co, unless I was in a clean room (hell it would take 15 - 20 minutes just to get back in), in the middle of a meeting, or was smack in the middle of something that couldn't be stopped.

Point being, you can't single out smokerse and say they "must bring more to the table" because you can hire a non-smoker that does the same thing. You don't really know what kind of employee you're going to have, until it is to late.

And quite frankly, companies that are banning the hire of smokers are missing out on great talent. Tho their reasons are more becaues it's a health issue (funny how, in my small sample size, it's been the non-smokers who use up most of the time off, especially mom's and woman who are having babies).

Posted 7 years ago #
  53. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

I guess my bias has always been that if I were to get up and socialize for 15 or 20 minutes I'd get chastised whereas smokers have a "reason" to do pretty much the same thing and there won't be the same recourse. I personally don't take breaks away from my desk...the internet is enough of a break for me and usually ate lunch at my desk too. I'm just relaying my experiences here...showing the other side of the coin as it were. And I have to go with my experiences. I almost didn't post because I didn't want to upset anybody but this is a forum and I hadn't seen much from the other perspective so I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. There are, what I would consider, valid reasons why people don't want to work with smokers. And I think it's absolutely stupid that a company would just say "no hiring smokers" because they could lose out on some serious talent. But for me personally it's a mark against a person if for no other reason than the odor. It's bad enough for me that I stopped going to 2 of my best friends' apartment when they stopped going outdoors to smoke. I was working in a cube farm for my last job and was the lead tech so I needed to be around when I could and couldn't just get up and leave when I wanted. But yes, there are people who take too many social breaks for no other reason than just to take a social break..and those people should be dealt with. But enough rambling from me. That's where I stand: gov shouldn't have the right to govern what goes on in a private establishment; private establishments should have the right allow or not to allow smoking on their grounds; no business should be allowed to dictate what a person does while they aren't being paid to be at work so long as it doesn't affect their job performance. Sorry if I offended but thought I could offer another perspective.

Posted 7 years ago #
  54. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

I'm really surprised Walmart hasn't adopted a no hire policy against smokers... I'm sure it'll happen soon. Walmart has already removed the smoking area from the employee lounge in almost all stores, and they have a big campaign going trying to encourage employees to give up tobacco.

They would not have any employees left..... Politicians will make it so that only the rich can smoke, and the the cycle will swing back our way. haha

Posted 7 years ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sorry if I offended but thought I could offer another perspective

No offense to me...I understand where you're coming from, would probably make for a great debate - in a different thread.

-as for companies I'm boycotting - KMart - every time I go there, no matter what time, I swear every person in the area all pull in the parking lot the same time I do...AND manage to check out at the same time. Somehow at that very precise moment, when there is a bazillion people wanting to check out, they close a lane and only have 2 open.

I'll get my mason jars elsewhere thank you very much!

Posted 7 years ago #
  56. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

yeah, sorry, got pretty off topic almost out the gate. I'm bad about that

Posted 7 years ago #
  57. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Paul - That's every Walmart i've ever been to. PRIME TIME shopping hour (an hour after work or the weekends) there isn't more than 3 lanes open (10+people in each lane waiting).... It's horrible mismanagement at its finest. I honestly don't know how these people still have jobs.

And I like the idea of this thread because regardless on where you stand on if it's RIGHT or WRONG for the company to ban all smokers it is letting the smoking community know and allowing us to make our own decision on whether or not they deserve our business.

Edit: And yes let's TRY to stay on topic you chatty fellows.

Posted 7 years ago #
  58. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

How about law enforcement & firefighters all over the country. Many of them have no smoking policies for their employees now days. It is not about the companies/ organizations IMO.... it is about the science.

Posted 7 years ago #
  59. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why are we surprised?
    Government and businesses have regulated what we can put in our bodies for the last hundred years, usually affixing hefty criminal penalties to it (hell, in the '60s there were states where possession of a joint could land you more prison time than a homicide conviction). The only difference is that fewer people smoke now, hence they have lower tolerance toward drug users (at least those who use drugs other than the ones they use). The moves we're seeing now are just part of a logical progression .... we've done it to millions of other Americans for years, and now it's our turn. It would be nice if citizens had some kind of legal right to live as we want to, but that idea became a casaulty of the drug war a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong -- I disagree STRONGLY with the anti-smoking extremes that the gov't and private companies are going to these days. But the bottom line is there isn't much we can do -- the liberal want to ban it on health grounds, and the conservatives have maintained for decades that companies should have the right to dictate their employee's behavior. Since companies often provide health insurance, they're going to do whatever they can to save cash on their bottom lines -- "freedoms" and "rights" are expendable when it comes to making cash or political hay.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 7 years ago #
  60. joe912

joe912

Login to Send PM

Alaska Airlines. They haven't hired tobacco users in years, but unfortunately my employer flies me to/from work on them.

Providence Hospital (Anchorage, AK)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it must be an electrical problem
    Posted 7 years ago #
  61. chopz

chopz

Login to Send PM

let me state here and now, you'll take my heinz ketchup from me when you pry it from my cold, sweet, sticky, dead fingers.

Posted 7 years ago #
  62. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I just kicked Bank of America to the curb. It wasn't so much about smoking. They do, in fact, plan to to try and enforce a non-smoking policy for employees, but layered on top of everything else they've done, such as recognize illegal forms of ID from Illegal Aliens and issue them credit/debit cards etc. and try to place $5 fees on any debit card transaction; When asked about potential fallout from consumers, their official statement was essentially "We don't care, we have enough loyal customers." I banked with them for 7 years andd they never did a damn thing for me. Their turnover is so high, I've never met the same teller twice. They now have one less "loyal customer" to not care about. I moved my money to a local bank, which operates more like a credit union than a bank and offer a free checking account that accrues 3% interest. My BOA "Savings" account offered .025% last I checked.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  63. drsam

drsam

Login to Send PM

I guess that I am just contrary but when I had my own business I did not put up "No Smoking" signs. I put of signs that said "Smoking Required" and I would not hire anyone that did not smoke .

If a customer complained I wold explain that it was my shop in my building on my land and if they had a problem with that it was only 3 miles south to the next guy.

Sir Walter Raleigh, name of worth, how sweet for thee to know.
    King James, who never smoked on earth, Is smoking down below.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  64. aussielass

aussielass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DrSam, I did exactly the same thing (despite the law) for 5 years - every single employee and volunteer (I was running a mid-sized charity) was a smoker bar one little 80 yo lady who actually loved to inhale 2nd hand smoke. No smoke, equalled "no join the team" - it worked for us. Our office was am airtight demountable with a caravan (trailer) attached via a hole cut into it & OMG we could barely see each other through the smoke, but by crikeys did we work well lmao.

Stats: Female "Proud Pretty Pipe" Smoker, lover of all things aromatic, especially mens' armpits!
    Technophobic fool who can't work out how to invite friends, so if you want to be mates with moi, you'll need to do the legwork involved, but only if you have a great SOH and don't dump on others!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  65. adam12

adam12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not boycotting Marriott because they have a no-smoking policy in their rooms. Their hotels are generally among the better quality for the price you can get on the road, they have a pretty nice smoking area in each property I have stayed at (above the Fairfield level), and to be honest, I'll go out to the patio with my pipe if it means not having to stay in a cigarette-smoke-infested room with burns on the rug, sheets, furniture, and a nasty smoky odor from some dude's Kool Menthol Lights 100's Ultra Filtered Whatnot. It's a price I'm willing to pay, and the last time I was in a Courtyard Marriott in Cleveland the manager came out and talked with me about pipes for an hour. Good guy, and nice hotels generally.

This thread serves to reinforce one of my most grating pet peeves about pipe and cigar smokers. It's high time pipe and cigar people started facing the music of the smoking bans, laws, and rules. I am sick of the outrageously hyperbolic drama such as "we're in Nazi Germany" (??? that's an inappropriate comparison if I ever heard one), or the wholesale loss of rights akin to some police state right out of Orwell's Room 101. Grow up and face the music. The ONLY reason we are thrust into this condition is because of cigarettes, plain and simple, and because government hysterics swept up along with a very justifiable limitation on the amount of cigarette smoking that makes the majority pretty ill.

I do not think the fact that I cannot smoke my pipe in a hotel room constitutes Nazi Germany, and anyone who thinks so needs a history lesson as well as a valium. Comparing the two is pretty ridiculous.

Wanna take your anger about the smoking hysteria out on someone? The next time some ciggie-puffing loser comes in your midst tell them that the reason you can't smoke your pipe anywhere without being followed around like a criminal is because of people like themselves who litter the roads and trash everything in a 50-foot radius just so they can suck down their cat-urine-smelling cigarettes and pacify their chemical addictions. I haven't been able to sleep in a "smoking room" at a hotel in years because cigarettes just flat-out stink like buffalo balls and I think capitalism states pretty decently that those who don't want to patronize clean hotels can go stay at the Rodeway Inn or Motel Six and take their chances with bedbugs and crackheads JUST TO SMOKE A PIPE in their room. No thanks.

Posted 7 years ago #
  66. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

my 2 cents here on a cpl things @scottydu81
    what skyline dosent know wont hurt them and theres a bill expected to pass that would make states honor other states gunpermets under the state laws the permit was issued in. so if it passes i can carry in said establishment as indiana its illegal to stop someone from going in to a public place with a conceled firearm if they have a permet. second on this they better be stopping off duty and on duty peace officers from comming in with their firarms too there was a supream cort ruling that a officer has no more rights then a civilan and a civilan has every right as a officer. @misterrogers one word to screw ohio smoking policy up as written eciggrett lol does not meet the restrictions on the law as written.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  67. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

Heinz ? Never eat their products, ever.

Walmart treats management pretty good. If you have a College degree you'll do OK at Walmart. Can't say about the other people that are just trying to get by. You get bullied only if you allow it to happen.

Target ? Never shop there. I worked there when I was younger. The management were children right out of High School. My Daughter worked as a Contractor Buyer for Target. Here, co-workers were very afraid of higher managements in ability to make sounds decisions. When things went south, the blame went to the new guy. Typical in many companies.

I don't have State Farm. I'm happy with Progressive. Had them for many years. They call me after a storm to see if I have any damages. I never got that from State Farm.

All Tobacco rulings are brought about by high Insurance rates. I don't mind it when my company wants to save on their insurance premiums. It's common sense. The less I smoke the better I feel. I'm retired now but, I can see it from their side to.

I hate cigarette smokers and the rules that have been brought forth against all tobacco users. You ruined it for everyone. But, I have to live within the Law's of the land. So, I buy my tobacco from fine stores online only. I smoke my pipes and Cigars on my land only and everyone's happy.

Posted 7 years ago #
  68. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I shop at walmart all the time and will continue to do so. I save generally 30 percent on my grocery bill compared to Publix. A friend of mine with a h.s diploma started as a stock boy at Walmart, today he is a store manager making six figures. Walmart did right by him. Anyone who works hard can move up at walmart and make a good living. Lazy people who don't care will always make minimum wage.

I have State Farm auto insurance because I saved over 400.00 from the nearest competitor, and I shopped them all. I never cut off my nose to spite my face. I do what is right for my family first and foremost, I am socially conscious to a point.

Harris
    Posted 7 years ago #
  69. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

One thing positive I can say for WalMart is they will help uneducated employees get their GED (High School Equivalency) and it has put people into management level jobs who otherwise wouldn't get the chance. The one I worked at still had an indoor break area for smokers, too. If you work there, you will get sick of it, but there are guys like me who go on to different things and others who stay there and make it a career. It's also the only job where I've punched someone out and didn't get fired. Of course I worked the graveyard shift and we were a little rowdier than the day people.

Posted 7 years ago #
  70. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Funny how the USA boycotted the Olympics because Russia was in Afghanistan back in the 80's , now who is there?

Posted 7 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   szconrad, piperoni, cigrmaster, ben88, renfield