PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
In the UK, Asda. Because it's basically English Walmart. Who own it, come to think.
The UK war on smoking is a country-wide political thing, rather than based around any particular company, so I have litle choice but to agree and continue. Their latest idea is to make all tobacco/cigarettes come in plain packaging covered in health warnings, sold under the counter. I'd like to boycott the government but I'm not sure that would go well.

Reactions: darkcloud

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
We are letting them take away our freedoms. I write letters to any company or politician that lets the antis do this. It's our voice and I use it all the time.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Here in Kentucky,the city of Bowlingreen,(home of the corvette plant)is totally smoke free! They are passing a law,that outdoor smoking could result in a fine!Local bar owners are frowning heavily on the consept.Land of the free,and the home of the brave!My personal opinion ,this is taking things tooooo far.

zhizn

Lurker
Nov 9, 2010
This smoking ban thing is getting out of hand, in the UK they are proposing that all tobacco products be hidden. They have already put huge labels on the cigarettes etc. 'Oh shit, these things are dangerous, I never knew that, I better stop smoking' The taxes they gather from smoking more than pays for the national heath service, effin hypocritical!!
Anyway, I do not live in the UK anymore but I see that a country (US) that was built on tobacco (amongst other things) and freedom is slowly being denied it's rights of freedom.
Freedom is an illusion.

zhizn

Lurker
Nov 9, 2010
I was in Santa Monica walking down the street and there were signs for "no smoking" on the street. You cannot smoke in the open air anymore. You can only smoke under your blanket in a hermetically sealed room, with the lights off!

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
Not pleased about it but here: Democracy is about the majority of people deciding what's going on. A democraticaly-elected leader is elected by the majority of the votes. If smokers are in the minority, then their interests are going to be passed over or looked upon as lesser than those majority. That's just the way it works, unfortunatly.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Thing is, cap, the individual American is grossly misinformed about the dangers of smoking, and as such politicians (who don't actually care about smoking one way or another) can say "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" and get themselves a lot of votes, easily. It's a circular cycle that started with one dick who hated smoking. He got more people against it, got a study commissioned, the study found that SHS does nothing, they lied to get public opinion on their side, the study is formally decried by REAL scientists, this is ignored by EVERYONE, politicians tell us they're think of the children, the idea that SHS is terrible gets deeper into everyone's heads, more falsified studies are conducted, announced, decried, politicians tell us they're STILL thinking of the children and so on and so forth.
Wow, that was one hell of run-on sentence.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think the whole anti-tobacco nazism is more so just an anti-cigarette nazism that's blown out of proportion. Most of us pipe smokers know that Ivy League universities have done studies that show pipe smokers out living non pipe smokers. We just get lumped in with the cigarette crowd because the cigarette manufacturers claim to use tobacco. I'd love to see the ratio of additive chemicals to actual tobacco leaf in any cigarette. Maybe what pipe and cigar smokers should do is jump on the cigarette industry as well because of their mistreatment of the tobacco.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
In New Zealand the government has a policy whereby they raise the price on tobacco every six months.. right now its near 50 NZ for 50 grams of borkam riff. shops aren't allowed to display advertising ciggarettes have pictures of gangreen and rotten teeth on them and allsorts. ( i personally get the ones that have the picture of the pregnant lady on them as i am sure my smoking won't affect my unborn child :roll: but you know the concept of personal freedom and personal responsibilty has just gone down the gurgler in our nanny state. oh thats $62.91 in usd

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I try to stay out of Wallmart, but that's about it.
If I were to boycott even a tiny percentage of the businesses and corporations that use my money to promote things contrary to my beliefs,...I'd have to move to a farm, grow my family's food and learn to spin and weave.

goodkat

Might Stick Around
May 31, 2011
in the UK they are proposing that all tobacco products be hidden.
That's already happened in my province. It's extremely annoying because I now have to have back up brands if they don't carry mine. It sometimes takes 4-5 guesses before I buy a pack. Also, you can't bring your children into tobacco shops even though they're all non-smoking. It's alright for them to come into a liqour store with you though. :roll:

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I was getting life insurance a while back, I told them I smoked a pipe,

They took blood from me and it came back that the level was low enough that I passed as a non smoker.

The company is New York Life. Something positive if a pipe smoker is looking for insurance an smokes a pipe daily

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I try not to get excited. Pipe smoking relaxes me. I shop where I get the best merchandise at the best price at the most convenient location. I love Heinz ketchup and I buy insurance where the best coverage is offered at the best price. I shop at Walmart because of the above. Nobody is forced to work there. I smoke my pipe where and when I want and I try to enjoy my life always. If anybody has a problem with my pipe....they have the problem....I enjoy my smokes. What I suggest and encourage is that all you guys carry a pipe with you always and be sure to put it in your mouth when you enter no smoking establishments. If your pipe is not lit, you are not smoking. Tell anybody who bothers you to call the police and report a guy with a pipe in his mouth; and then to stick their opinions where the sun doesn't shine. In other words, Fnck Off!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
What I suggest and encourage is that all you guys carry a pipe with you always and be sure to put it in your mouth when you enter no smoking establishments.

Get real, very bad form! This is the worst advice I've read on a pipe board in awhile

If your pipe is not lit, you are not smoking. Tell anybody who bothers you to call the police and report a guy with a pipe in his mouth; and then to stick their opinions where the sun doesn't shine. In other words, Fnck Off!

Oh they will! And you will be arrested for disorderly conduct. I will guarantee your pipe will get "accidentally" stepped on by the police when the handcuff you. Around here you might "slip and fall" on the way to booking if you tell the wrong person to shove it up your _ or to F off 8O

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Oh they will! And you will be arrested for disorderly conduct. I will guarantee your pipe will get "accidentally" stepped on by the police when the handcuff you. Around here you might "slip and fall" on they way to booking if you tell the wrong person to shove it up your _ or to F off
And that's where a good lawyer comes in. At least in Ohio, the law reads...
(A) “Smoking” means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or other lighted smoking device for burning tobacco or any other plant.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
RJ Clarke Tobacconist in Vancouver BC. Unless your going in there to buy a high end Mont Blanc pen, you get no attention, the clerk thats always there is not knowledgable at all, and of course to top it all off, $50 for a tin of tobacco (I know that's just taxes, but I'd be willing to pay it for a homey B&M experience).
Steer clear.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mjtannen As pipe smokers we should take the gentleman's route, IMHO. You get more bears with honey than vinegar!

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Is that to say that a gentleman should allow himself to be pushed around when they are not in the wrong? I've taken to keeping a small laminated piece of paper, no bigger than my drivers license, in my wallet. It has on it Chapter 3794, which says I am not allowed to smoke in a public place. The kicker is, on the back is what the state of Ohio defines as a public place.
(B) “Public place” means an enclosed area to which the public is invited or in which the public is permittedand that is not a private residence.
I live in a small town, no bigger than 5000 people. Someone once told the police that I was smoking, so they came over. He told me I was in violation of the law, to which I told him I was not. Took out the little card and showed him. He merely nodded his head, told me he was sorry for distubing me, and shrugged to the women who called. The moral of the story is simple.
Know the law, because it can be on your side.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303339904576405682014528872.html?mod=wsj_share_facebook
This is a waste of time for cities to try and ban public smoking. There is really know way to monitor these kinds of laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.