PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Black Irish X Unsliced is the first rope I’ve smoked. The fact that it’s a rope is really cosmetic and gimmicky, but when you get down to slicing the coins and a slight rub you have a pile of tobacco. Dark oily leaves with a strong peat smell to it, into a cob for sure. This smoke was going to be something different good or bad. Right from the char light you get hit with a strong earthy hit of burnt wood. Within a few sips, and I mean this is truly a sipping blend. The level of vitamin “N” is going to be a rough one. I can handle some nicotine fairly well, but I’d never try this one on an empty stomach. The oily leaf burns slow and even with only one re-light half way when I needed a break. While smoking this and trying to compare it to all the exotic and complex blends we have today, you can’t. This is like comparing riding a horse to a car. My thoughts wonder around, probably from the nicotine, on the beginnings of smoking tobacco. It’s not pretty, smells bad and there’s no hint of fruity plum in the background. The harsh flavor of peat and burnt wood stays true, at least to the three quarters point when I’d had enough of a history lesson and a days’ worth of nicotine.
I can see a sailor on a stormy sea tearing off a piece of rope with his teeth and just chewing the tobacco, then on calm seas taking a sharp knife and slicing ragged coins to stuff in his pipe. This is a hard leaf and I don’t think the sailor would care which way he enjoyed it. But sitting at my computer with dozens of pristine tobacco to choose from, and hundreds more with a few clicks on a website, this is one that will never be smoked again. This is not meant for the cellar, this one was meant for the ships haul hundreds of years ago.
It’s was nice to see how far we’ve come, by sampling from where we came.
Craig

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Funny, one of my coworkers is a gruff, Belfast republican (Cambridge educated), and this is one of his favorite tobaccos.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Slayer: Thanks for the heads up. I've never run across it. Being more than a bit "Black Irish" myself I'm going to have to try some. Next order for sure. I do so love nicotine. If they would just put it in IV bottles I could just roll a bag around the house and skip all the loading, lighting, tamping, and relighting, and the required contemplation so necessary to a pipe smoker. Not to mention the monthly Sunday afternoon spent giving the pipes a good cleaning.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It smells good to me, but I've never smoked it. Does it taste at all like Peterson Irish Flake? The smell reminded me of Irish flake.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Never been a rope-smoker ... never will! :rofl:
Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Thanks for the review though, sounds like one to pass on.
Happy smokin' :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for the review. I'm still planning on trying some of this. Haven't been able to make up my mind between the black and the brown.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've got a pound of this"Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk: Happy (Brown) Bogie Unsliced" and love it. Not an every day smoke, but on a cold winter evening, it hits the spot!...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Immune? That saddens me. Or, hopefully, have you built up a tolerance so that you still get the kick, just not the shakes and yips. That's where I am now. I enjoy the taste and kick, but no longer experience the sometimes debilitating effects. Although, m m m maybe I I I I just da da don't notice it it.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
No, no kick. Just love the different flavors and strength of flavors from blend to blend. For me, its all about perceived taste as I have no sense of smell...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Don't mean to pry weezell, but I had a friend who lost his sense of smell after an operation. He said that that lose really impacted his sense of taste. I did some research and was surprised at how closely both of those senses work together.
The question is: Do you have to have really big, robust flavors in food and tobacco in order to discern different tastes?
Ignore this if I'm over stepping.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice piece of writing Craig. I'll smoke Irish X when I want to channel my inner seadog. But I think I enjoy Happy Bogie, and the Maple and Rum Twists a little more. All of 'em will put hair on your chest, so it's just a once a week indulgence for me. Like Weezell said, it'll be good on a cold winter night -- especially outdoors.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Lovely write-up, Craig.
My late, sainted Uncle - a retired USAF light bird Dentist who drove C-47s and dropped paratroopers in Europe and chased George Patton's 3rd Army with a belly full of gas - always suggested nicotine should be delivered via a cardiac needle underneath the tongue.
I'm no glutton for punishment, but I love strong tobaccos and nicotine is a "Meh" for me. Getting ready to send Warren a PM for his source of Black Irish.
Thanks again for a swell read. I always enjoy your posts, pard.
Fnord

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Craig, I smoke a number of black and brown ropes (see my old post "Money for Old Rope?*). They are nic-heavy and, surprisingly to me at least, the black ones deliver more vitamin N then the browns since they are flue-cured for longer (which accounts for their appearance).
I doubt the old sailors would have chewed the black ropes because they would have been spitting black oil ! lol However I'm sure they would have chewed the brown ones when it was not possible to smoke them in a pipe. I've NEVER tried this - hard men indeed they were !! LOL
I smoke my ropes on a full stomach, last thing at night. Black Bogie is my favourite - a delectable taste of burnt steak/tar. It puts me to sleep, to dream of old sailing ships in winter storms.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It is definitely one of those "the right time and place" tobaccos. Very strong in the N department. I found best prep to be slicing with a cigar cutter into little coins, letting the coins dry out some, and then lightly fluffing said coins into a narrow bowled pipe ........ well, usually just ONE coin does the trick for me. The taste and room note ( even outdoors ) are one-of-a-kind: I can best compare it to homemade pork sausages roasting on a charcoal grill. Definitely dedicate a pipe to it, as it will smell like that for a while.

If you don't want to mess with the prep, it's also available in ready-chopped form as Black Twist Sliced.

I contemplated getting a 500g box of it in rope form, but it will probably take years to smoke it up.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Once you get passed the gag reflex, it's not bad. This WAS a winter nic fix for years along with the brown. Said to keep salt from getting in. Read the whaling books where they much appreciated Lataki.

Status
Not open for further replies.