PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
I was wondering if any of you fine gents could give me some recommendations on where to get some good bit guards. I looked on P&C but couldn't find any. Also, do you guys use bit guards? What is the consensus on these?

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I have some Softy's but I'm not really a fan. I only put them on bent pipes, since I often clench down on bent pipes, but (at least the ones that I have) do not stretch enough to fit a lot of my pipes.
On the plus side, they're DIRT CHEAP. So if you buy a pack and you don't care for them, you're only out a buck. It's worth a buck to decide whether or not you like them or can stand them enough to use them.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
zdwebb12, I have a couple I could send you if you want (free of charge of course). They were given to me from someone on this forum and I tried one and didn't care for it so I would gladly "pay it forward" 8)

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for the tips guys, I went ahead and ordered some for $0.99 on P&C. Thanks for the offer though 05venturer.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I use them and don't mind them. I wash mine after I smoke and then even change them out after a while. I've found I am a clencher and well since I don't have the cash to keep buying new pipes I figured I better protect the ones I have!!!

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I actually really like em. I'm a bit of a clenched too and it's more comfortable for me.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I use them and like them. They give me something to chew on other than the bare bit. They are a kind of "Binky" for grown men. :wink:

coreyr

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Virginia
I use them myself because I tend to chew the bits and I am tired of chewed up pipes. LOL The take some getting used to but work pretty good. After awhile a pipe will not feel "right" without one. :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I use them also, more comfortable for me. I wished they made different colors, maybe tan or clear at least. I hate having a black bit on my yellow stem meer pipe.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I use them. I cut off the bulky part with an Olfa knife (although it takes some work to get it even) and I don't cover the end of the bit. Less obtrusive that way.
And it's chewy too. :puffy:
26EEFA35-786F-463F-A675-DB6CA9B1F9F2-6689-000005D251223ED1_zps9daf750e.jpg

Jan 21, 2013
They're called "softys", and are OK if you don't have a problem with your mouth being open far enough to drive a truck inside while you're smoking
mikephillips you definitly have a point, they make the stem a bit too thick. But they do save the stem from probable destruction by us clenchers. Anybody know of a brand of these that is not as thick as the regular cheap ones?

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
The "softies" are too much like a baby-bottle.

I use half-inch dia. heat shrink tubing on the mouthpiece of valued pipes. It won't prevent really hard chomps, but eliminates light chatter marks.

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
I thought about using them. Saves on the stem biting. I have heard some good points for using them, I'm convinced. They are kinda gross though, when found on an old estate pipe....dryrotted and crumble off leaving me with the nasty bit through stem!!! :wink:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I don't like the traditional black rubber ones you see for sale. Too thick and covers the button. I use surgical Tygon tubing. Like what they used to use around your arm when you gave blood. Or what heroin users use to find a vein. I cut these in real thin rings. They slip over the bit behind the button. Where the teeth go. I pipe all day and clench for hands free piping. They come off after the smoke so the stem don't oxidize on you.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"My opinion on "Softies" -- they work. They protect the stem. They are like why to use condoms -- there's good reasons to use them, but they do take some of the enjoyment out of it."
+1 Roth.
Not being a voracious clencher, I've never had to resort to these, but this thread just gave me a good idea. There were a few estate pipes on Ebay I was really interested in, but passed them up because of the horrid condition of the bits. Although I could have arranged a stem/bit replacement, this would have detracted from the originality of the pipes. Covering the damaged bit with a Softie would be, I think, an excellent compromise.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i also use rubber bits ( softy ), i have also started using heat shrink tubing. i use the black and white heat shrink tuging. iam not sure if i prefer the softy bits or the heat shrink tubing.
mike.

Jul 12, 2011
SP and P&C have them, I was big on using them when I started

smoking, but find that many pipe makers go through great care

and detail on the stems and using guards really mess with my

enjoyment, so I have since stopped using them

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, about the same here as most ppl. I tried em, tried really hard to get used to them, but to no avail. I found they made the stem to thick and bulky and uncomfortable. I can see that they are a really good idea, but it all depends on your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.