PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I use them on a couple pipes, one is on my Ascorti that I had to repair. It is mainly there just to help protect the repair. The other pipe I have a bit on is my "working" cob, just because I will hold the pipe with my teeth most of the time when working on something. All my other pipes go naked. :puffy: I opted for the ebay deal of 20 bits for $8.00 shipped.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
I like using them when fishing. They make the pipe easier to hold onto/clench and are actually easier on my jaw because I'm not trying to hold onto the pipe without biting too hard.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
I like using them when fishing. They make the pipe easier to hold onto/clench and are actually easier on my jaw because I'm not trying to hold onto the pipe without biting too hard.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I didn't use them when I first started smoking, but now that I've realized I'm a clencher I have them on almost all of my pipes.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Go to a good hardware store & ask for Tygon surgical tubing. Comes in a yellow / tan roll. The kind they wrap around your arm when you give blood. Then cut little rings, and use these as bit protectors. They're so thin you don't even notice them. Great for clenchers. To prevent oxidation of stem, remove rubbers during cleaning before racking. Much better than commercially available black rubber softies IMHO.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I just started using them. I use one on my curved Brigham, nice for when i'm driving. I think i'll use one on my straight Graco IF i'm driving, otherwise i'd prefer to not have one, but cleanching hurts my teeth.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I use them. I cut off the bulky part with an Olfa knife (although it takes some work to get it even) and I don't cover the end of the bit. Less obtrusive that way.
I do the same thing and works great

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I also use " Softie Bits " on all of my pipes, as I tend to clench. Rather wreck a softie than my pipe stem. I find them to be rather comfortable.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I hadn't considered taking the softy off the pipe between smokes.

Why would I do that...do they change the stem's color or something?

curl

Apr 29, 2014
And I like the surgical tubing idea.

Is this a wonderful website or what?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Get a properly shaped bit no more than 4 mm thick with a flat cross section across the top- not rounded so you have support across a broad area (Think RAD- he's the best on that!) You will be amazed at how comfortable that bit will be....

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
If your not allergic to latex try a picking up some surgical tubing and cut them into any length you want. 98 % of my pipe stems are covered that way! I went with one length of light yellow and one black.There will be a taste of rubber but after a couple of smokes you won't taste any thing. You can take some everclear and wipe off the rubber bit , then your good to go. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.