PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have always loved panel pipes. I'm sure that Bing's pipe from Holiday Inn is a big part of the reason. I have always wanted one of these so I commissioned Ryan Alden to make one for me.

bingpipe1-541x600.jpg

The pipe looks a lot like a Dunhill Chestnut with a silver band. I asked Ryan for a silver band and a Cumberland stem. The pipe arrived on Monday night and it is a beauty.

bingpipe2-600x516.jpg

bing-panel-smooth-alden-15-600x311.jpg

I started the break-in process last night with a bowl of Red Rapparee. The pipe has perfect balance. I don't think that I have ever had a pipe that feels this great in my hand.

bing-panel-smooth-alden-10-600x309.jpg

bing-panel-smooth-alden-2-600x310.jpg

While he was at it he made a blast version too. Here are a few pictures:
bing-panel-blast-alden-21-600x310.jpg

bing-panel-blast-alden-6-600x310.jpg

bing-panel-blast-alden-7-310x600.jpg

Reactions: daniel7

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Those are fantastic. From what I've heard, panel pipes and bulldogs are hard to "fudge" -- either you get them right or you don't. Ryan clearly has the chops to get them right.
Congrats.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Elegant in its simplicity, execution, and concept. That is sure to be a lifelong treasure.

The stem and stummel colors on the smooth version are a perfect match.

Thanks for sharing.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
stanlaurel:
I believe that Mr. Crosby would have been flattered by your acquisition, and impressed by Mr. Alden's fine craftsmanship. Although I am typically a fan of shell-type finishes, I find the smooth version of your pipe to be more visually appealing - this opinion no doubt influenced by the fact that Mr. Crosby's pipe was also smooth.
May both of these pipes provide pleasant smokes and abiding comfort to you for years to come.
As an aside, I wonder who is the fetching woman shown in the photograph behind Mr. Crosby?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Those are great looking pipes. I've always wanted a paneled billiard, and if/when I were to get one... I hope it's one as nice as one of those.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
As an aside, I wonder who is the fetching woman shown in the photograph behind Mr. Crosby?
I have always assumed that it is Virginia Dale - the Lila Dixon character from the movie.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
WOW! Impressive! I love both pipes, but the blast is my favorite of the two. I'm partial to blasts and rustications for some reason. They just seam to have a look, feel and character that calls to me more than a smooth pipe.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Gorgeous to be sure! I just smoked my Alden last night. It does as you say feel perfect in the hand, the button and stem are just so very comfortable and it smokes flawlessly every time. I'm very pleased with mine. Those are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.