PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Both are really sweet, now you need to dress like der Bingle with period clothes and post it!

banjo

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Never been a fan of that shape but those will sway some voters over. Beauties!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Glad you are enjoying them!

I have to say, 4 square Panels never impressed me much. But, after studying the shape to get this pipe right, I think it may be perhaps the ultimate pipe shape.
The straight billiard is already a perfect pipe functionally, the drilling is a perfectly straight line that allows optimum airflow. The 4 square panel adds to that basic shape aesthetically, it is a handsome and interesting shape, manly looking and rugged. BUT, the design adds strength in all the right places too; the beefy shank, the sterling silver reinforcement around the shank, the extra meat around the corners of the bowl. The 4 flat faces around the bowl allow perfectly even heat radiation. The flat top and bottom of the stem allow a perfect comfortable grip. The flat bottom makes a perfect sitter.
All in all, after making these two, I am personally convinced whoever first came up with the shape may have designed the ultimate classic pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
KCghost doesn't like straight pipes if I'm not mistaken.
Yup.
I once saw a guy offer him his choice of two pipes: A straight Bo Nordh AAAAAAAA grade with a two carat vvs blue-white diamond inlaid on the shank; and a ratty, 40 year old bent corncob that might have had three smokes left in it.
He didn't hesitate a second. Went straight for the corncob.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I am totally in awe of those gorgeous, magnificent pipes!! Thanks for posting! A true pleasure even just to see!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think those old four-squares are thoroughbreds. One thought is that they originated when the briar wasn't good and needed to be shaved off into the panel shape. But they are great pipes, sitters one and all. For those who may not be able to budget a commissioned version, Chacom makes a nice large version that would suffice in the meantime. I have some panel pipes, but with shorter bowls. I always fancied the taller billiard, but never found the right item. I think BC also makes a version. I've always liked them and think this one is superb. The Bing Crosby connection is a nice piece of history, but the pipe goes way past the reference. It's perfect.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have smoked the smooth panel 8 or 9 times. It is an amazing pipe. Perfect for Balkans.
Yes, I also own the blasted version. I have not smoked it yet.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I love panels and those are both beautiful ! I especially like the smooth pipe and the way it's stain matches the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.