PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomboo

Lurker
Jul 5, 2011
I know its basically asking what the best of the worst but, it is convinent. Also, do chain drug stores like rite aid or walgreens sell pipe tobacco. Thanks in advance.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Yes, most drug stores still carry the popular blends. Walgreens down the street also has large bags of bulk tobacco, Rum,Cherry, flavored/aromatics.
And they still carry Captain Black, Prince Albert, Half& Half, etc. Just make a trip and check out their selection...as they all may vary on what their distributor sends them.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
OTC's have been, and are some good smoking tobaccos.

Caveat: The bulk bags will taste like a chemistry set after a short period of time.

I would recommend that you avoid the bulk OTCs.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I usually don't buy it, but if I had to it would be Captain Black.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Oh Boy!

Now you've done it Ranger.

Started us down that road.... :D

can_of_worms_ahead.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
haha! I love that pic, Lawrence! I say as long as it's actually pipe tobacco, try your luck, but there's better products on the net. I happen to like Captain Black White,but your tastes may differ from mine.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
While I love the complexity of a crafted blend containing nearly unpronouncable small-leaf Orientals, shreds of Latakia, Va's from every continent, and a touch of Perique; there is something to be said for the straight-forward rich nuttyness an OTC burley blend can provide. With all the different types of cuts, cakes, plugs and flakes, sometimes its nice to reach for a pouch of simple fine ribbon which requires no fuss, and of course, the burning properties of the OTC's are exquisite (well, what I've smoked at least; although I grant you, I haven't reached for any of the OTC aro's). In some ways, stoking a bowl of Carter Hall or Prince Albert (or, more likely my OTC choice, Amphora OB) seems like a connection with my relatives who puffed a pipe in the past. While OTC's wont completely replace my fancy tins bearing exotic names and even more exotic tobaccos, they will always have a place in my rotation...even if it only comes up once every few days.
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a sudden hankering for some burley. I think I'll even smoke it from a cob. Guess that explains why my tie chafes at my neck... :P

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
A lot of corner stores round here carry Erinmore mixture in pouches.

Barring that, hmmm, a Mac Baren followed by a Cap'n black.
In my neighborhood, most places that are even remotely serious about pipe tabac tend to carry things like Peterson, Solani, Mr B's, etc. Even a local supermarket smokeshop/lotto kiosk has a remarkable selection.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Where I live, Condor ready rubbed is available as the OTC blend. Havent smoked it yet, since I have too much else to occupy me. That said, I have a love of Alsbo black, which I feel may be very similar to CBW.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Prince Albert or Sir Walter and if you are lucky, Sail Regular. If you have a sweet tooth, then by all means Captain Black. Drug stores around here still stock these but now they hide them like a dirty secret behind the counter next to the cheap cigars and RYO pouches. Back in the day, the pipes and tobaccos used to be in the same aisle as the bagged candy! Not very PC today, unfortunately.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Not available everywhere, but I'm enjoying Walnut quite a bit these days. I also am keeping Captain Black in my rotation. I kind of like it and there's certainly nothing wrong with Prince Albert or Carter Hall.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
SWR first.. then Carter Hall. the rest is only worthy of the trash can .. or you can use it as starter for the fireplace logs. LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.