PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
just tried some prince albert, cheap, but good. it actually smokes a lot better than CB, which i find to be wet even in a brand new bag! i think it might just be the way its cut, a lot smaller than CB, and it smokes a lot better than CB for me.

don't get me wrong, CB royal is still some pretty good stuff lol

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
shimrra, I'm with you on the Capt. Black royal, it is one of my favorites also.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
i like half and half i tried some Sir Walt in the pouch and it must have been in the store for YEARS it was as dry as sawdust and bit my tounge very badly

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I like SWR, never had a problem with tounge bite but I've found that the pouches are very dry. I recently picked up a tub and it wasn't nearly as dry as the pouches.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Half and Half has been a staple in my pipe forever. I also love to mix it 50-50 with Captain Black Gold. An all day smoke for years at work.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Half and Half has been a staple in my pipe forever. I also love to mix it 50-50 with Captain Black Gold. An all day smoke for years at work.

Doc, that is a nice blend, I have done it Myself.
:worship: Now that's what I call a couple of ringing endorsements.
Where are my car keys?

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Back when I smoked aromatics, I would have said Middleton Cherry, as well as Apple, used to like Black And Mild, an occasional Captain Black, Palladin Black Cherry was pretty good too. Now, it's pretty much just Prince Albert, which I couldn't stand the first time I tried it, funny how our tastes change. My friends and I used to always smoke aromatics, which my Dad called "that perfumey stuff", so one night he brought me home a pouch of PA. My first impression was it was nothing but cigarette tobacco. I put it to the side for a long time, then on a whim decided to revisit it, and actually enjoyed a bowl, and found myself craving some from time to time.

wannafly34

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2011
I'll have to give PA a try again...first time I had it thought I was smoking a cigarette. One of these days I will find and get to a real tobacconist with pipe tobacco. We have Corona Cigar Co. up the street which is great for cigars, but no pipe tobacco. All the other smoke shops in the area seem to focus on, you know, that other stuff :)

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I haven't tried any OTC tobacco in years and in fact have barely seen any of the old classic OTC brands available in a while.

I just stopped into rite-aid in Portland and they had a bit of a selection.

Some terrible bulk aromatics, some RYO types like bugler and drum, also the captain blacks, PA and carter hall. For some crazy reason a pouch of CB was 10 bucks! Yet carter hall was only 5. Easy choice as I've heard people hear sing its glories.

I was surprised at how dry the tobacco was and the pouch note was very simple.

It's a very light nutty, cinnamony smoke. Definitely tasting the burley and not a ton of casing until you move your tongue around in your mouth a bit. Then It suddenly tastes like I've been smoking a black and mild which is no major surprise given the source (middletons).
Overall not too bad for $5. I'd grab it again if I was in a pinch and will try to blend other tobaccos to it as I've read good things about using CH as a base for experiments.
One thing I'd like to add as I finish this bowl, this is one of those tobaccos where the flavor is actually better than the pouch note and seems to get creamier and slightly spicier towards the halfway point. Smoking in a country gentleman MM cob.

gxsszh

Lurker
Feb 3, 2013
Hello, everybody,I google "drugstore" tobaccos,I am new ,my english is bad.

I know Captain Black ,Borkum Riff,Carter Hall, Sir Walter Releigh, Half & Half,

Velvet,Prince Albert are drugstore,

but i don't know why,how,what different,

I mean "How to identify",What are the criteria?

"what the way"

For example,Captain Black is drugstore tobaccos ,

Dunhill 965 is not drugstore tobaccos.

why?

bag or tin?Burley or Virginia or Latakia?

Aromatics or Non-Aromatics?

just different shop?cheap?

or other.

so what Mac Baren ,Danish Black Vanilla Mixture,Cornell & Diehl,

Forg Morton ... ,drugstore or not ?

gxsszh

Lurker
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks.

I still do not understand.

The captain and other tobacco is very common in the United States,

Dunhill Davidoff unusual,

so,they are called the "drugstore" .

If Dunhill common,

It also called the "drugstore" .

But Dunhill is hight prices , so not common.

Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.