PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hessenland

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2011
Moscow, ID
What do you guys perceive to be the best burley out there? I have only tried PA, CH and Altadis J4, so I don't have much of a scope.

I am just curious what the different recommendations are.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
There are far better voices to listen to than mine... But for me.... Not really being a burly man... more of a VA. guy myself... I like PA.. and I LOVE NIGHT TRAIN..which has some burly in it....

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hard to say what's BEST....but my list would include H&H Butternut Burley and Sir Walter Raleigh.... :D

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
Raleigh first, Prince second---however if need arise, that order can easily be reversed-- :D

lukester

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2011
I am a fan of C&D Burley Flake #2 and Kentucky Club Mild. Don't know if they are the best but they are enjoyable. :puffy:

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
As tasty as some of the classics may be I still really prefer Mac Baren's Burley London Blend to most straight burleys. I also really love Gawith & Hoggarth's Conitson Cut Plug (Uncscented) for something with a nice floral treatment and Stonehaven for something dark. These two blends also contain a sweet portion of Virginia.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I like H&H Butternut Burley and a 50/50 mix of PA and Carter Hall they are all great in their own aspects by them selves or mixed. 8)

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
PA is my favorite, I don't know, I guess it really comes down to your own peersonal taste. But when I'm in the mood for a burley whatever it is, it ussually get some of the Prince mix in with it. That's what I've been doing with 12oz. of Blender's Gold Rich Vanilla that a freind gave me as a gift. It hasn't been to bad for a bag that I think they picked up at walgreens. But hey I think some of the Prince or Sir. can make anything better!

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Ted's suggestion of Mac Baron's Burley Londen Blend is a good one, Mac Baron's Dark Twist Roll Cake and Golden Extra are very good too.
I also enjoy Uhle's burley blends. Their Crushed White Burley is a licorice topped blend that is fantastic.
One of my favorites is Perfection Plug Burley.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
What do you guys perceive to be the best burley out there? I have only tried PA, CH and Altadis J4, so I don't have much of a scope.

I am just curious what the different recommendations are.
Hands down; Burley London Blend by MacBaren
Another recommendation;

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Boswell's Premium Burley is good, and I have some of that tucked away. In a pinch or unsatisfied craving, SWR or PA is good.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
It's not bad at all, at least in my opinion, they sprinkle it with a few liqueurs.
It's not as cased as 1-Q or most any of the drug-store blends that I've tried, but it's got a nice aromatic quality to it, kinda like Sir Walter Raleigh with a 20% mix of another very subtle aromatic blend.
Here's a bunch of reviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=1913

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
For me, Burley blends offer another dimension to Pipe smoking. Mac Baren's Burley London Blend, which is a White Burley with a little Virginia leaf for sweetness is a good one. Peretti's Burley Cut Plug is another, with likely the least topping of any Burley blend on the market. Wessex Burley Slice has the same character of taste as the now out of issue Edgeworth Sliced. Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake is a bit pricey, but worth the coin. C&D offers a number of great Burley Blends, like Easy Times, Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best - just to name a few. Reiner Long Golden Flake is an excellent Virginia/Burley/Perique blend. There are plenty more out there, but these are what come to mind first.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
That's a good question Ted... I don't know how the 333 compares to the BCP.

There's an 8oz tin that's been in the cellar for a few years & now I'm tempted

to open it and smoke it..., now that I found that it had been buried in the

inventory. I went thru the Peretti blend list a few years ago, on one of my

new-to-me tobacco quests. They have a good selection of non-Aromatic house blends

and after my introduction to Park Square, Cambridge Flake, BCP and London Flake,

I ordered some more blends, some of which have been allowed to age in the cellar.

I believe that I'm going to dig this one out and smoke some... These threads can

really contribute to a large open rotation.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Go to C and D and look at their burley blends, they do a great job with their burley. Then go to Pipesandcigars.com and look at Russ Oulettes blends with burley, he does a good job as well.

leafnut64

Lurker
Mar 26, 2011
Best burleys I've tried so far are: Uhle's Perfection Plug, Blend #00, and crushed white burley; and Peretti's burleys are just superb, my favorites #111, and #333. Peretti's 333 is my favorite of all these-one of the very finest tobaccos on the planet. Happy Smoking!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m not a big time Burley smoker so normally I wouldn’t have posted on this topic except for a sample I received with my last order. The name of the blend is Fireside and it is a “New” Park Lane house blend. I wasn’t excited when I saw that they had given me a Burley sample until I opened the little zip lock bag and got a nose full of this beautiful nutty blend and once I packed the large bowl of my Jake Hackert and fired it up I was totally smitten. Now I’m not real comfortable reviewing blends because I’m still after many years still learning what I like myself, explaining why to others is not a strength of mine. What I can tell you is that I have now ordered a pound and can’t wait for it to arrive.
Here is what Park Lane says about their blend…

For those pipe smokers who like Burley, here is a great blend. It’s a copy of the long lost L.L. Bean “Special Blend”, a slow burning, slightly sweet, mellow smoke with a pleasant aroma and taste. It’s a great mixture to have with the first cup of coffee in the morning.
This blend has a complete lack of tongue bite...all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It packs easily, lights readily and simply refuses to go out. It burns completely to a fine, white ash, leaving minimal dottle in the bottom of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.