Tags:   

Best Burley?

(36 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by hessenland
  • Latest reply from gottagotogrow
  1. hessenland

hessenland

Login to Send PM

What do you guys perceive to be the best burley out there? I have only tried PA, CH and Altadis J4, so I don't have much of a scope.
    I am just curious what the different recommendations are.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. bowhatchie

bowhatchie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are far better voices to listen to than mine... But for me.... Not really being a burly man... more of a VA. guy myself... I like PA.. and I LOVE NIGHT TRAIN..which has some burly in it....

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. hilojohnny

hilojohnny

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hard to say what's BEST....but my list would include H&H Butternut Burley and Sir Walter Raleigh....

Live Aloha!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. whitebriar

whitebriar

Login to Send PM

Raleigh first, Prince second---however if need arise, that order can easily be reversed--

cobs, old briars, and burley
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. lukester

lukester

Login to Send PM

I am a fan of C&D Burley Flake #2 and Kentucky Club Mild. Don't know if they are the best but they are enjoyable.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. tedswearingen

tedswearingen

Friend of Ours

Login to Send PM

As tasty as some of the classics may be I still really prefer Mac Baren's Burley London Blend to most straight burleys. I also really love Gawith & Hoggarth's Conitson Cut Plug (Uncscented) for something with a nice floral treatment and Stonehaven for something dark. These two blends also contain a sweet portion of Virginia.

Superior Service, Superior Quality, Superior Pipes - http://www.smokingpipes.com
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. oldmaus

oldmaus

Login to Send PM

I like H&H Butternut Burley and a 50/50 mix of PA and Carter Hall they are all great in their own aspects by them selves or mixed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldjazzlover

Login to Send PM

PA is my favorite, I don't know, I guess it really comes down to your own peersonal taste. But when I'm in the mood for a burley whatever it is, it ussually get some of the Prince mix in with it. That's what I've been doing with 12oz. of Blender's Gold Rich Vanilla that a freind gave me as a gift. It hasn't been to bad for a bag that I think they picked up at walgreens. But hey I think some of the Prince or Sir. can make anything better!

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. mlaug

mlaug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ted's suggestion of Mac Baron's Burley Londen Blend is a good one, Mac Baron's Dark Twist Roll Cake and Golden Extra are very good too.

I also enjoy Uhle's burley blends. Their Crushed White Burley is a licorice topped blend that is fantastic.

One of my favorites is Perfection Plug Burley.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. buckeye

buckeye

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

boswells premium burly

smokin my homemade rustic pipe. don`t get any better.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What do you guys perceive to be the best burley out there? I have only tried PA, CH and Altadis J4, so I don't have much of a scope.
    I am just curious what the different recommendations are.

Hands down; Burley London Blend by MacBaren

Another recommendation;
    Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell's Premium Burley is good, and I have some of that tucked away. In a pinch or unsatisfied craving, SWR or PA is good.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. hessenland

hessenland

Login to Send PM

I've never tried SWR, how strong is the casing on it?

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not bad at all, at least in my opinion, they sprinkle it with a few liqueurs.

It's not as cased as 1-Q or most any of the drug-store blends that I've tried, but it's got a nice aromatic quality to it, kinda like Sir Walter Raleigh with a 20% mix of another very subtle aromatic blend.

Here's a bunch of reviews:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=1913

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. fred

fred

Devotee of The White Goddess

Login to Send PM

For me, Burley blends offer another dimension to Pipe smoking. Mac Baren's Burley London Blend, which is a White Burley with a little Virginia leaf for sweetness is a good one. Peretti's Burley Cut Plug is another, with likely the least topping of any Burley blend on the market. Wessex Burley Slice has the same character of taste as the now out of issue Edgeworth Sliced. Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake is a bit pricey, but worth the coin. C&D offers a number of great Burley Blends, like Easy Times, Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best - just to name a few. Reiner Long Golden Flake is an excellent Virginia/Burley/Perique blend. There are plenty more out there, but these are what come to mind first.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. tedswearingen

tedswearingen

Friend of Ours

Login to Send PM

Fred, I just ordered some #333 from Peretti. How would you compare this to their PBC?

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. fred

fred

Devotee of The White Goddess

Login to Send PM

That's a good question Ted... I don't know how the 333 compares to the BCP.
    There's an 8oz tin that's been in the cellar for a few years & now I'm tempted
    to open it and smoke it..., now that I found that it had been buried in the
    inventory. I went thru the Peretti blend list a few years ago, on one of my
    new-to-me tobacco quests. They have a good selection of non-Aromatic house blends
    and after my introduction to Park Square, Cambridge Flake, BCP and London Flake,
    I ordered some more blends, some of which have been allowed to age in the cellar.
    I believe that I'm going to dig this one out and smoke some... These threads can
    really contribute to a large open rotation.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. strongirish

strongirish

Login to Send PM

Go to C and D and look at their burley blends, they do a great job with their burley. Then go to Pipesandcigars.com and look at Russ Oulettes blends with burley, he does a good job as well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

leafnut64

Login to Send PM

Best burleys I've tried so far are: Uhle's Perfection Plug, Blend #00, and crushed white burley; and Peretti's burleys are just superb, my favorites #111, and #333. Peretti's 333 is my favorite of all these-one of the very finest tobaccos on the planet. Happy Smoking!

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

So I get to be the one to mention that which has not been mentioned yet it can hardly be deemed unmentionable.

Solani Aged Burley Flake has got to be the best straight burley.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. jcsoldit

JC

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m not a big time Burley smoker so normally I wouldn’t have posted on this topic except for a sample I received with my last order. The name of the blend is Fireside and it is a “New” Park Lane house blend. I wasn’t excited when I saw that they had given me a Burley sample until I opened the little zip lock bag and got a nose full of this beautiful nutty blend and once I packed the large bowl of my Jake Hackert and fired it up I was totally smitten. Now I’m not real comfortable reviewing blends because I’m still after many years still learning what I like myself, explaining why to others is not a strength of mine. What I can tell you is that I have now ordered a pound and can’t wait for it to arrive.

Here is what Park Lane says about their blend…
    For those pipe smokers who like Burley, here is a great blend. It’s a copy of the long lost L.L. Bean “Special Blend”, a slow burning, slightly sweet, mellow smoke with a pleasant aroma and taste. It’s a great mixture to have with the first cup of coffee in the morning.

This blend has a complete lack of tongue bite...all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It packs easily, lights readily and simply refuses to go out. It burns completely to a fine, white ash, leaving minimal dottle in the bottom of the bowl.

As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain from smoking when awake.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

StrongIrish hit it on the nose. C&D and Hearth and Home make some awesome blends.
    Personal favorite may still be plain old Sir Walter Raleigh. It is not really sweet, but has a pleasing room note, maintains a full flavor without getting too harsh, pretty darn cheap to buy 14oz cans, gentle enough on the tongue, and always satisfies in the nicotine department.
    For stronger flavored blends, I like C&D burley flakes #1 #2 and #3. These are blends with "dark" burleys, and IIRC the strongest is #1 with proportinally more light burleys as you move through #2 and #3.
    I'm also a big fan of Riverboat Gambler, Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop.

H&H Classic Burley Cake is a great sweet burley blend, one that has its place in my rotation for sure. Lights easy, smokes easy, and smells great. If it didnt smoke so wet, I would go through a lot more of it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. strongirish

strongirish

Login to Send PM

I would be remiss if I did not add Five Brothers to the list of great burleys. i buy a lot of this as it is a great blend to break in new pipes or kill ghosts with. It is also a great mixer. It is a super high "N" blend and can be stout for some but I love the stuff.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Man guys.slow down...my tad list grows longer

Nice to see your posts Mr. Strongirish. Your PSF advice has more than once increase my smokeing experience beyond pleasureable.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Five Brothers is definitely one to look at. Potent but yummy!

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

There have been lots of good recommendations on Burley blends here and when asked what I think are the best Burley blends, I think of the classic OTC Burley blends like Carter Hall, Cherry Blend and Prince Albert, each unique in their own way and a wonderful smoke on their own or blended. I still smoke all three of these blends today and thoroughly enjoy each one of them, they all bring something different to the table.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. tiltjlp

tiltjlp

Login to Send PM

Carter Hall, Velvet, and SWR for OTCs, and Burley London Blend for a step up. But I'd like to mention my own Moe's Confetti. For a burley blend with a touch of cigar leaf, my Storm Front gets rave reviews and is one of my best sellers at 4noggins.

John : The CobFather : Have Cobs, Will Smoke

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wessex Burley Sliced is the best IMO.
    I also like the OTC's PA, Carter Hall, and Sugar Barrel.
    Then there is H&H Classic Burley Kake, which has been my go to here of late.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Basic Carter Hall is pretty darn tasty for the price and makes a good all day smoke . It is also a excellant base to make your own ARO blends . To me PS Burley cubes is also a very good smoke . When it comes to Burley it seems like the less you pay for it the better it is .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1, and i was introduced to this blend from Tommy--fantastic flavor!

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Check out Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com
    The left hand column has tobaccos grouped by "Tobacco Category". Makes browsing within genre really convenient.

I just discovered H&H's Old Companion, apparently Russ Ouellette's nod to codger and OTC blends of the past.
    If you like P.A., I think you'll love Old Companion because it is nuttier and uses red Va as a sweetener. Yum!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorites are Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Have recently tried John Pattons "Storm Front" and really like it also. Also like SWR.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uhle's makes some of the best Burley blends on the market. They could easily be called "House of Burley." #300 (has a wonderful graham cracker & honey taste), Perfection Plug and Crushed White Burley are some of my favorite burley blends from this store.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1, and i was introduced to this blend from Tommy--fantastic flavor!

Romeowood...I'm so glad you liked that.

I think I'll have a bowl right now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I'll echo Cortezattic on Old Companion. I love it.

Carter Hall, Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh are good too.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

gottagotogrow

Login to Send PM

John Patton's Storm front is not only my favorite burley, but maybe my favorite tobacco. Nothing quite compares. It's a party every time.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   buzkirk, oldtoby, cortezattic, rigmedic1, mongoose108, thesmokingtexan, patiobum, metarzan, irish, sparks, msandoval858