PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
StrongIrish hit it on the nose. C&D and Hearth and Home make some awesome blends.

Personal favorite may still be plain old Sir Walter Raleigh. It is not really sweet, but has a pleasing room note, maintains a full flavor without getting too harsh, pretty darn cheap to buy 14oz cans, gentle enough on the tongue, and always satisfies in the nicotine department.

For stronger flavored blends, I like C&D burley flakes #1 #2 and #3. These are blends with "dark" burleys, and IIRC the strongest is #1 with proportinally more light burleys as you move through #2 and #3.

I'm also a big fan of Riverboat Gambler, Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop.
H&H Classic Burley Cake is a great sweet burley blend, one that has its place in my rotation for sure. Lights easy, smokes easy, and smells great. If it didnt smoke so wet, I would go through a lot more of it.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I would be remiss if I did not add Five Brothers to the list of great burleys. i buy a lot of this as it is a great blend to break in new pipes or kill ghosts with. It is also a great mixer. It is a super high "N" blend and can be stout for some but I love the stuff.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Carter Hall, Velvet, and SWR for OTCs, and Burley London Blend for a step up. But I'd like to mention my own Moe's Confetti. For a burley blend with a touch of cigar leaf, my Storm Front gets rave reviews and is one of my best sellers at 4noggins.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Basic Carter Hall is pretty darn tasty for the price and makes a good all day smoke . It is also a excellant base to make your own ARO blends . To me PS Burley cubes is also a very good smoke . When it comes to Burley it seems like the less you pay for it the better it is .

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Check out Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com

The left hand column has tobaccos grouped by "Tobacco Category". Makes browsing within genre really convenient.
I just discovered H&H's Old Companion, apparently Russ Ouellette's nod to codger and OTC blends of the past.

If you like P.A., I think you'll love Old Companion because it is nuttier and uses red Va as a sweetener. Yum! :puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My favorites are Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Have recently tried John Pattons "Storm Front" and really like it also. Also like SWR.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Uhle's makes some of the best Burley blends on the market. They could easily be called "House of Burley." #300 (has a wonderful graham cracker & honey taste), Perfection Plug and Crushed White Burley are some of my favorite burley blends from this store.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Hands down; Burley London Blend by MacBaren

+1, and i was introduced to this blend from Tommy--fantastic flavor!
:mrgreen: Romeowood...I'm so glad you liked that.
I think I'll have a bowl right now.

gottagotogrow

Lurker
May 27, 2011
John Patton's Storm front is not only my favorite burley, but maybe my favorite tobacco. Nothing quite compares. It's a party every time.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
For just straight unflavored burly, the king is 5 Brothers. For something milder, it is really hard to beat Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride, or Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed (now being made by Middleton's, which is Lane Limited). I also second the vote for PA. PA is just a nice, no frills, Burly-Based, inexpensive all-day smoke. You can't really go wrong with either Edgeworth, or PA. PipesandCigars.com makes an even better blend that is almost a clone of PA, but a little better (imho), called Prince Edward. It's part of their Townhall series. Definitly worth a try.
Just a quick question. Why is my avatar not showing up?

Mar 1, 2014
Tonight I had some Crooner, the aftertaste right now makes me want to run out and get some more.

Maybe it's because my sample came dry as a bone (and tasted acrid in that form), but rehydrated it gave just a mild buttery flavor with a hint of vanilla. I used a big bowl too.

As a fan of Ennerdale I can only hope to get my hands on some fresh stuff.
And now I'm wondering if Deertongue has ever been used with Latakia?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Five Brothers, Tabac Manil Semois, Old Joe Krantz or Burley Flake #1, but I haven't tried many of the fancier blends.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cornell and Diehl Old Joe Krantz, GL Pease Barbary Coast, and McBaren HH Old Dark Fired.

Ha ha, 4 years latter the OP'er has only posted 20 times, but is just now starting to get some fine suggestions outside of codger blends. I wonder if this guys is even still smoking his pipes.
Anyways, I love a necro-bump. So, if this guy is still out there in cyber-world and still smokes, I would suggest that burleys run a huge gambit if variations. Best? What does that mean? For a light, sweet burley BLWB is a good one, IMO. For flavor, heck there are a bajillion aromatics using tasteless mediocre burleys. For, strength, I suggest a rope, Brown Bogie or coconut twist are favs of mine, and for a light to medium nicotine, every day, all day smoke, you might like MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fire or one of the many new blends using Dark Fired Kentucky or one of the more popular dark fires.
Anyways, four years you've waited for some decent suggestions, ha ha. Wouldn't it be cool if we got this guy to return to the forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.