Becoming a codger?

(49 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tschiraldi
  • Latest reply from pipesticks
  1. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone who has read my posts knows that I love Stonehaven, and I am lucky enough to have a steady supply. If Stonehaven is my one true love, today I met my mistress, and she's a cheap date! I smoked my first bowl of Carter Hall today, and found it wonderful! A Middleton's blend? Wonderful? I'm afraid so. It can't top Stonehaven, but it makes me wonder why I'm spending so much on other "luxury blends" when this one's so cheap!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, one more thing to look at, Chatham Hall, the PC Midtown tub tobacco inspired by Carter Hall, at $27.99 a tub, or by the pouch. Maybe buy a pouch and see how you like it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a guy who owns some pretty good-quality briars and a cellar full of expensive tinned tobaccos, I sure do spend a disconcerting amount of time smoking Prince Albert out of a cob. Now get the hell off of my lawn!

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Opps, tried to edit, but the edit didn't take, said I was "going too fast...?" The name of the tobacco is Chatham Manor, I believe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Codger blends have been around for a long time for a reason, welcome to the other side

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the Carter Hall codger club,good old Carter Hall tried and true since the mid 1950's.Chatham Manor is no Carter Hall its a totally different pipe tobacco and the price keeps going up,which also has me wondering will Chatham Manor be around with the new FDA regulations?Other notable codger blends to try since you like CH are PA,Granger,Velvet and SWR.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is SWR?

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

Round this way, mere ownership of a tobacco pipe is probablyy enough to certify you as a codger

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah. Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you have Walter Raleigh in a can?

Well, you'd better let him out.

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lemme see, major codgers include Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half-and-Half, Granger, Mixture 79, Edgeworth now Lane Limited, and probably others. Can you name any others? There are some other pouch and over-the-counter -- Borkum Riff blends, Captain Black ... do they count as codgers yet? Who'd we forget?

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a codger and I love codger blends, PA, CH, SWR, and P&C's Russ O Midtown blends of Chatham Manor, Chestnut (similar to the old Walnut)and Prince Andrew (similar to Prince Albert).

These are all great blends.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I smoke only two blends. One is carter hall, and one is carter hall mixed with butternut burley. Most of my posts here include either the words Carter Hall, or corn cob.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amphora & Velvet? Amphora sounds interesting and Prince Albert is on my list to try.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My dad smoked a pipe for about 40 years, with a few years off for King Edwards cigars, and for all those years he smoked only one pipe at a time, and only Granger. Then because of a job, he quit cold turkey at about age 65. (Lived to be 89 licensed to drive without glasses. I went with him to his last drivers license eye test.)

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

I’m not a codger and I still smoke Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh. But give me time, I’ll get there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

dj11

Login to Send PM

I must now be considered a codger because lately I've really enjoyed Velvet and Half and Half. On my second tub of both and that's with a whole cellar full of expensive tobaccos. Definitely put Velvet on your list too. Lane Ready Rubbed ain't bad either.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like Aromatics so they would have to be VA or Va/Burley blends. I think Sir Walter Raleigh and Amphora are next on my list to try. Is Velvet an Aro?

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

No Velvet isn't an Aro. I would rank it 4th best.
    PA
    CH
    Granger
    Velvet
    Lane RR
    SWR
    Paladin (an Aro)
    Half and Half

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom Waits said he adopted his alcoholic old man persona because those were the guys who got to wear all the cool beat-up hats. Speaking of codgers, though most codgers aren't necessarily big drinkers.

I also like Chestnut that is inspired by the discontinued Walnut. I'm not sure Chestnut is a codger blend, since it isn't the original. It's sort of a bridge between codger and English.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Codger blends have been around for a real long time because IMO, back in the day for most smokers before the internet, that is all that was around that most people knew of, had access to or they knew of.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first codger blend became my favorite codger blend, but I found that they're all very enjoyable, or most of em.
    Each time I would try a new to me codger, it would be several oz's smoked before I could begin to find it compared favorably to the first one I'd 'conquered'.
    I was new at the game and part of it was my awakening palate, I think, but now that I have more of an idea of what I'm doing, I find that though I do love most of the blends mentioned above, I smoke them now as an indulgence rather than daily smokes.
    I've discovered some quite tasty and satisfying smoking in bulk tobaccos that cost significantly less per oz than most typical brand named codger blends.
    C&D and D&R bulk tobaccos are my primary smokes anymore, including blends and mixers.
    One of the interesting elements of the hobby is the variety of flavors you discover, even if you only smoke one or two 'blends'.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dear Mr Tschiraldi, you goin in right direction Amphora Original brown yet SWR regular are becoming my good all day smokes and actually Aphora Org.(Mc Barens production) is much better one would expect its a pretty nyance-rich tobacco, although, yes these cheaper brand have supposedly more higher Pg contents in order to avoid the drying out, so some airing prior to smoke might be beneficial.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good point someone made. You used to be able to buy a particular selection of these codger blends we've mentioned almost everywhere coast to coast, and throughout major cities, at newsstands, drugstores, groceries, and tobacconists. They were like major brands of cigarettes or soft drinks in those days, maybe more so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

What is the actual term of codger anyways?

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Carter Hall, been smoking this blend in a cob for many, many years now. It's one of my favorites, and I like the fact that I can get it locally by the pouch or the tub at a very reasonable price. As a matter of fact, most of the OTC tobaccos are available in my area and I'm glad. If you're a heavy smoker OTC blends won't break the bank, are of good quality and an enjoyable all day smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a reason the blends have lasted so long. Granger is my favorite codger blend and I smoke it a lot.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think a codger can be any older man, or even a middle aged man who seems older than his years. I think set in his ways and perhaps not so sociable are other attributes. When people are trying to be affirmative about older people, they might say they are distinguished, spry, dapper or still sharp. I don't think codger carries any class distinctions; one can be a wealthy codger or a homeless codger, or anywhere in between.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Becoming a codger is hard work. You have to walk around grumbling a lot talking to yourself, still be watching a tube TV and using a Sunray gas stove with pilot light, have hairs sticking out of your ears and nose, and wear short, tight sweaters that smell like mothballs. And you never ever clean and shine up your pipes. It is a real commitment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Codgerdom is like Faith. It's a gift; you can't force it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up some Sir Walter Raleigh on a lark (and a 1$ off coupon) one time, packed and loaded with almost no expectations, lit up, and said something like, "Well! This stuff is really decent!" That inspired me to try Prince Albert with much the same results. When I was young, I SWORE up and down I would never become an old codger or curmudgeon... then it just sort of descended upon me naturally... like the perfection of spirits trapped in a barrel...

I need to photoshop a pipe into that pic!

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have your fun now. Guys can poke fun at codgers all you want, but one day, you'll get trapped in your house. It's not funny.
    You'll think, "I need to go to the store. Where are my keys?"
    Then you'll walk into the next room, and think, "what did I come in here for?"
    Then you'll set down and smoke a pipe.
    Then you'll think, "I need to go to the store. Where are my keys?"
    lather, rinse, repeat.
    I've spent a few days caught in that damned time loop, like Dr. Strange negotiating with Dormammu.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. He's the only one I know, uses pipe cleaners to keep his straps on overalls from spreading, cusses a lot, spends most of his time on old porch smoking, he ain't worth a damn.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, I gave up on keeping my overalls buttoned. Crap, I forgot to put on pants again today.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it makes me wonder why I'm spending so much on other "luxury blends" when this one's so cheap!

I agree. No point in buying Dom Perrignon if you're satisfied by Mad Dog+club soda.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. ryepipe

ryepipe

Login to Send PM

Chatham Manor is currently available in tubs only. I contacted Pipes & Cigars and the customer service rep claims they are not getting any from their supplier for the 2oz samples, tubs only. I contacted Russ O via FB several weeks ago regarding this and he replied that he wasn't aware of that situation and would look into it. Still no samples. Don't want to spend +$30. on a flier...one would think sales would leveraged by making samples available but go figure...

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

There seem to be a group of people out there that think ill of anything "tried and true".

Then when they give it a go they are surprised just how well it works.

Life should be full of new experiences, but the wheel is still a pretty good invention.

Too bad codgers are not the male equivalent to a female cougar.
    Well maybe we are but much less successful...

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. ryepipe

ryepipe

Login to Send PM

Ah, but cougers don't wear coveralls

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

"Ah, but cougars don't wear coveralls"

True, but I'm not sure our luck would change for the better if we covered less.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Ah, but cougers don't wear coveralls

Of course cougars wear them!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  42. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, if I could be 21 again, perhaps I'd be bait for the above! As is, from my vantage point, she's a young'un.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. ryepipe

ryepipe

Login to Send PM

Yikes, I stand corrected

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's 6 am in S Louisiana, very cool, 39 deg, coffee in hand but I can't get dressed because CODGERS DONT WEAR COVERALLS..

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. ryepipe

ryepipe

Login to Send PM

OTOH, the lovely lass pictured above is too young to be a certified cougar ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

OTOH, the lovely lass pictured above is too young to be a certified cougar ...

The only certification necessary for that is to have a younger boyfriend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edgeworth is the only codger blend I have tried and I was 14 years old. Can a 14 year old be a codger?

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

14 is pushing it on the young side, but if you're some sort of codger child prodigy, then yes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

Five Brothers is an ancient codger baccy going back to right after the Civil War. It was originally sold as a plug that you could chew or slice to roll up or stuff in a pipe. My mom told stories of grandpa coming home with it in a paper sack in the 20's-30's and he smoked it on the porch or chewed it down in the coal mines. If you've never tried it, order up a pouch, stuff your pipe and then take a seat cuz Five Brothers can knock you down!

This is some strong-ass olde tyme shag burley! And just like for my grandpa, it works great for me in a pipe and also makes a damn fine cigarette too.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles