PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Anyone who has read my posts knows that I love Stonehaven, and I am lucky enough to have a steady supply. If Stonehaven is my one true love, today I met my mistress, and she's a cheap date! I smoked my first bowl of Carter Hall today, and found it wonderful! A Middleton's blend? Wonderful? I'm afraid so. It can't top Stonehaven, but it makes me wonder why I'm spending so much on other "luxury blends" when this one's so cheap!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, one more thing to look at, Chatham Hall, the PC Midtown tub tobacco inspired by Carter Hall, at $27.99 a tub, or by the pouch. Maybe buy a pouch and see how you like it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
For a guy who owns some pretty good-quality briars and a cellar full of expensive tinned tobaccos, I sure do spend a disconcerting amount of time smoking Prince Albert out of a cob. Now get the hell off of my lawn! :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Opps, tried to edit, but the edit didn't take, said I was "going too fast...?" The name of the tobacco is Chatham Manor, I believe.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Welcome to the Carter Hall codger club,good old Carter Hall tried and true since the mid 1950's.Chatham Manor is no Carter Hall its a totally different pipe tobacco and the price keeps going up,which also has me wondering will Chatham Manor be around with the new FDA regulations?Other notable codger blends to try since you like CH are PA,Granger,Velvet and SWR.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Round this way, mere ownership of a tobacco pipe is probablyy enough to certify you as a codger

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
003-538-0003.jpg

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Do you have Walter Raleigh in a can?
Well, you'd better let him out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lemme see, major codgers include Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half-and-Half, Granger, Mixture 79, Edgeworth now Lane Limited, and probably others. Can you name any others? There are some other pouch and over-the-counter -- Borkum Riff blends, Captain Black ... do they count as codgers yet? Who'd we forget?

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I'm a codger and I love codger blends, PA, CH, SWR, and P&C's Russ O Midtown blends of Chatham Manor, Chestnut (similar to the old Walnut)and Prince Andrew (similar to Prince Albert).
These are all great blends.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I smoke only two blends. One is carter hall, and one is carter hall mixed with butternut burley. Most of my posts here include either the words Carter Hall, or corn cob.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad smoked a pipe for about 40 years, with a few years off for King Edwards cigars, and for all those years he smoked only one pipe at a time, and only Granger. Then because of a job, he quit cold turkey at about age 65. (Lived to be 89 licensed to drive without glasses. I went with him to his last drivers license eye test.)

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I’m not a codger and I still smoke Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh. But give me time, I’ll get there. :nana:

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
I must now be considered a codger because lately I've really enjoyed Velvet and Half and Half. On my second tub of both and that's with a whole cellar full of expensive tobaccos. Definitely put Velvet on your list too. Lane Ready Rubbed ain't bad either.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I don't like Aromatics so they would have to be VA or Va/Burley blends. I think Sir Walter Raleigh and Amphora are next on my list to try. Is Velvet an Aro?

theosprey247

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2016
No Velvet isn't an Aro. I would rank it 4th best.

PA

CH

Granger

Velvet

Lane RR

SWR

Paladin (an Aro)

Half and Half

Status
Not open for further replies.