PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plank46

Lurker
May 31, 2013
Hi all

Just today I found a Butz Choquin brandy #1027 in a antique store. It is unsmoked in its original box with original catalogue/instructions and it even has the complementary pipe cleaners with it. I paid $ 35 for it. My question is this as I am not a collector ( I just smoke my pipes) is it a waist for me to smoke something as pristine as this? The box and catalogue seem to be from about the 70's. I understand that BC's are not exactly top shelf sought after. It is just that as I do collect minerals, I understand the value of keeping things in there original state.

I was thinking of posting it on eBay so that a serious collector could have a chance to own it and get more satisfaction out of it from a collectors point of view than just as a smoking pipe?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
If its a shape and style that you like then smoke it, of not, send it on to someone that will enjoy it more than you would. French pipes are very under rated IMO and are a bargain in today's dollars. They may not be the most collectible of pipes but are still made from quality briar.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thats a bargain price for a new BC, and one that old has certainly got to be good. I have one from the seventies.

Smoke it and enjoy it!

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I would also like to see a picture of it. If its a pipe you like then smoke it! If it's not your style, you could re sell it to help fund a pipe you do like. Odds are It won't resell for too high of a price, but only one way to find out

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Personally I dislike pipes ending up in cages where they are no longer free to feel or have a meaningful existence, the last thing I would want to do is give one of my pipes up to suffer that sort of thing in the hands of a collector, who just considers them pretty things to look at. These things have a use, a meaning, staring at them is not it! If you truly like that pipe, which I believe you do, smoke it, do not worry about lost value, it's a sweet deal for $35, but I guarantee you if I ever had a nice pipe at any price, even a prized Dunhill, I'd smoke it and even clench it *gasp* as long as it wasn't worth thousands of dollars (then I'd sell it of course!).
You might look at the difference of what you paid and what it is worth, but seriously, flipping pipes is not a good way to make a buck, smoking is a sure way of feeling better though. Having a good old pipe will certainly help you in this endeavor.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Personally I dislike pipes ending up in cages where they are no longer free to feel or have a meaningful existence
+1 Eric.
If you like it, smoke it. If not, why did you buy it? Keep the box and papers where they won't get destroyed so that if it doesn't work out for you, you can sell it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
plank46, I hate to follow the crowd, but everyone's right. You aren't going to make a bunch of money selling this pipe,

but it is a fabulous find, a sign from the universe that you are living right. An unsmoked pipe, with that extra aging on

the briar, is going to be a primo smoker for sure. If I were you, I'd exercise all the old superstitions about breaking in

the pipe, at least as far as starting with 1/3rd bowl of tobacco for a few smokes, and then a half, before proceeding to

a full bowl. Especially with this extremely well-dried briar. I can't tell you how envious I am. I must live in the wrong

part of the country. I can find no pipes, much less unsmoked pipes, in local antique shops. I guess this was just

cigarette country. When traveling, I've found a few, but certainly nothing unsmoked. BC's are not fancy pipes, but in

my opinion, they boast some of the best characteristics of quality machine pipes. Generally, they are drilled with

precision, well put together, and handsome traditional shapes with definite design flair. As with clothing, the French

have an ethic for building pipes that wear well and last.

plank46

Lurker
May 31, 2013

Hope this works

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you like the pipe, smoke it. If you don't like the pipe, sell it. I smoke the pipes in my collection, with a couple of exceptions and those exceptions (for now) are because I loved the design without the urge to put a match to the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a heart-breaker, beautiful pipe. Yours forever. You can't sell it. Let the puffing begin.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Smoke it! If you want to make money, invest in land... they stopped making it a long time ago!

Enjoy the smoke!

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Smoke it, enjoy it. I smoke my 1970s pipes (that I found) every day. Don't let history pass you by - You can't get the time back.

Status
Not open for further replies.