PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Master Blender Rich Gottlieb of 4 Noggins is our guide and sponsor for the August Tobacco Crawl. Rich has put together a very affordable collection for us to sample - a great selection and variety of his own 4noggins.com bulk blends. Rich's blends have a huge following here at PipesMagazine and 3 Blind Moose is almost legendary. 4Noggins is also a loyal site sponsor.
The Menu
Friday, August 7

Bald Headed Teacher - The old-fashioned Burley taste comes through in full form, nutty and brisk, hitting on tangy notes along the way as the Virginia components catch on. There's not enough Latakia to provide any more than perhaps a seasoning effect.(2 oz.)
Friday, August 14

Three Blind Moose - A blend of Burley and Dark, Light, & Black Cavendish tobaccos that, when combined, make a delightful aromatic with a hint of butterscotch in the background. Three Blind Moose could easily be an all day blend that receives positive comments. (2 oz.)
Friday, August 21

Owls Head - A classic mellow, sweet, and nicely balanced mixture of Orientals, Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, and a touch of Black Cavendish. An English blend that is just complex enough yet mild enough to smoke anytime of day, or all day. (2 oz.)
Friday, August 28

Prairie Wind - Three types of Virginia tobaccos, blended with a good amount of Perique, make Prairie Wind easy burning, well balanced, and cool on the palate.(2 oz.)
$24.95 plus shipping

Visit www.4noggins.com and choose the 4NOGGINS PAX PICK SAMPLER or search on Pax Pick.
NO SUBSTITUTIONS PLEASE
How it Works
The Pax Tobacco Crawl is a combination of a pub crawl and a wine tasting. It could also be compared to a virtual pipe club. The crawl is open to anyone who has a desire to methodically explore the world of pipe tobaccos while enjoying fraternity and sharing experiences, opinions and the occasional joke with fellow members.
We will start the August crawl on the first Friday of the month (August 28th) and will smoke the tobacco of the week for that week. Members drop in at their convenience during the week and and report on their experiences, including details such as pipe used, beverage companions, flavors detected, room notes, etc. Reviews can be as simple or as elaborate as desired.
Rich will also drop in when he can and field your queries and offer his insights.
On the second Friday, we will start smoking the second blend on the menu and repeat until the end of the month.
The only rule is to be polite. All are welcome, especially newcomers to the pipe. You can smoke as many or as few of the blends as you like. Pipers with previous experience with a blend are free to helicopter in and sound off.
You can order your Crawl Sampler now at www.4noggins.com.
If you're interested, just reply that you're in. Or drop by as the mood suits.
Pax

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Prairie Wind is the only one I currently have and I like it quite a bit ... kind of like Cool Hand Fluke's cousin.
Booker ... I'll include some in our next swap. :puffy:

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Looking forward to it, I Love 4Noggins Northstar and can't wait to give these a try. Thanks brass and Rich!

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Very excited for this month, all of the the 4Noggins blends I enjoy but Bald Headed Teacher is in my hollowed hall of favorites.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The only rule is to be polite.
Shit! That's a deal killer for me, right there. Also, I just can't find that Friday on my calendar.

BrassPax, you read my tiny pea brain. I was thinking about this only this morning. Looking forward to acquiring some new flavors.

Guys, this is a worthwhile endeavor, if only to be amazed and delighted at the blazing speed with which your order will be arriving to you once you've place it.

Happy Daze!

Mike

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I will be away for the first 2 weeks in August but will try and tag along for the second half. I really enjoy Three Blind Moose and Bald Headed Teacher has been on my "want to try" list for some time now. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jkrug, I'm surprised that you didn't already go for the Bald Headed Teacher after reading the thread about blends that grow hair. It just seems right for ya.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
:D It would seem to make sense now wouldn't it!! I'll have to order the sample pack from 4noggins before I leave so it will be waiting for me when I get back home. Maybe I can cram it in and catch up with y'all by week three?

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Placed my order and picked up a few tins I was interested in trying. I'll most likely be a silent participant again for this crawl.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Pax, this is the Friday I can't find, in case you missed my dilemma.
We will start the August crawl on the first Friday of the month (August 28th)

I'm gonna see what is available from 4nogs in the way of cigar leaf, too. I really like to put that into my blends betimes for some added zest.

and, heck yeah, we love newbie impressions and questions, AND advice too, 'round heah.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Oh, sorry for the typo. The first Friday in August is the 7th.
BTW, if you like cigar leaf blends, you might want to check out Dominican Glory Maduro. I had to to let the Mcclelland ketchup smell burn off for a couple of months but it was worthwhile. DGM is my favorite cigar leaf blend, at least for the moment.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have only tried my own additions....I'll wait for one of those pre cigared blends to come up in a crawl.

Between sales of tobacco for $1.75 and ounce, replenishing my OTC codger tubs and crawls, I'm trying to be content.

I've got 8 or 9 lbs of cellar right now...maybe 10, I forgot the tins I got from seadogontheland when he thought he had copd, which he does not, thank goodness. I'll be limiting myself to crawl additions unless I find a blend there that I simply must have in the 'cellar'. fixed incomes don't lend themselves to tad.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Oh, I'll be ordering these blends for sure. If I hadn't blown my 'budget' (ha ha) with recent PS sale buy and codger refills, I'd double up @ that price. I may yet.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Mine is on the way! Looking forward. The original post says that we will start the first Friday in August (August 28)..... According to my calendar the first Friday is the 7th :).
We will start the August crawl on the first Friday of the month (August 28th) and will smoke the tobacco of the week for that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.