PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Got my Sampler today.
Question for the experienced folks here. Should I take the baccy out of the heavy ziplocks and place them in jars or will they survive the month?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome dcrguns, skywalker and all those returning to our crawl. Skywalker, you can jar them if you like but they're double bagged and should survive the month. Just keep them out of direct sunlight and you'll be fine.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
O.k. just ordered mine, along with 2 tins of F&T cut blended plug and cut virginia plug. Can't wait to try Rich's blends and I will try harder to participate till the finish. Very much enjoyed June's but I petered out at the end. I love the crawls because my wife thinks it is a great idea so it's easier to get away with a TAD order....yay tobacco crawl!!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thank you, mrangophile and than all of you that are participating, whether for just one or for the duration. We're doing crawls on alternate months instead of monthly as we did last year so that we don't burn out. While I love the crawls, it doesn't leave time for trying many other blends for that month. Not to mention, organizing and managing the craws can be more time consuming than it would appear.
Alternating months gives me some time to try blends on my own, often blends I hear about in these crawls. Beside, bimonthly keeps it fresh and exciting for me.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
atskywalker....those bags will be fine, in my opinion...got mine today. I'm in progress with the Bald Headed Teacher, bowl #1. I'll reserve comment till tomorrow. +1 on bi-monthly crawls, Pax.

This is my third crawl..I haven't had a negative reaction or opinion of/for any of the blends we've tried!

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Got my package yesterday and I could not wait. The smell of the package was old-timey pipe shop, just loved it. Was looking for info on Rich/4noggins and found this article pretty interesting. I was hoping to find out how Rich got into blending, maybe you could let us know Rich. I was amazed/excited how high the rating are for the blends at 4noggins in genereal but especially the blends chosen for the pipe crawl. See you all here tomorrow.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Appreciate the link to that earlier interview mranglophile, I had not seen that - enjoyed it. Looking forward to hearing more from Rich on his blends.
Rich, I know this is not related to the PAX choices for this month, but can you tell us what your inspiration / goal was for Northstar? Any interesting stories around this blend? An excellent blend that rocketed to the top of my rotation last year and still remains there.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@newbroom, you enticed me and I had my first bowl of BHT. Comments reserved as well in respect to the timeline
I did move all the blends into jars because I felt its more respectful to these fine tobaccos :).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Latecomer to the game again, this time my excuse is my total absence of smoking for over a month. But I am back up to several bowls a day, so I put my order in yesterday.
Look forward to the game.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's Friday! Bald Headed Teacher Day! I got my Pax Crawl supplies delivered yesterday and have already sampled this first week's blend in several pipes.

I smoked the first two or three bowls before I went to tobacco reviews dot com to see what others had said, just for perspective.

I've got a bowl hanging from my mouth as I write this, and my only concerns are that there is no way to go but down, and that I'll forget to re-order this blend before I exhaust my meager 2oz. sample.

A non aro that smokes just sweet enough and with just the right amount of nicotine, a combination of delightful, smooth flavors with a hint of cooling smokey Latakia...I'm immediately enamored to/of (I don't know the rules here) this blend and can't seem to stop smoking it. I've used several different pipes, from cobs to meers to briars and each one works.

Kudos to Rich and 4Noggins on BHT..this is without a doubt a new and must have favorite smoke for me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hi Guys:
From tobaccoreviews.com:
4noggins - Bald Headed Teacher
The old-fashioned burley taste comes through in full form, nutty and brisk, hitting on tangy notes along the way as the Virginia components catch on. There's just enough Latakia to provide no more than perhaps a seasoning effect.
Brand 4noggins

Blended By Rich Gottlieb

Blend Type Burley Based

Contents Burley, Latakia, Virginia

Flavoring None

Cut Ribbon

Packaging Bulk

Country US

Production Currently available

Product Image

Strength

Mild to Medium

Flavoring

Mild

Taste

Medium

Room Note

Pleasant

Favorite Of 12 Users

63 reviews Reviews

4 star: 38

3 star: 16

2 star: 6

1 star: 3
STRENGTH FLAVORING TASTE ROOM NOTE

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Ok, so here it goes for Bald Headed Teacher.
I have to say this is not one of my favorite blends. I have been smoking it all week in several different pipes. Mainly cobs and a Savinelli billiard. I am not much of a tobacco reviewer and normally don't smoke aromatics so take my opinion for what it is worth. The blend seems like a very straight forward burly blend with some virginia and a small amount of latakia. At the beginning of the bowl, it is a nice aromatic that does have a hint of vanilla and nuttiness. As the bowl is smoked down to about half, it transitions into a bland smokey smoke. It burned hot at times and always gave me a bad after taste. I hope others in the crawl enjoy this tobacco more than me. Anyone in the crawl who wants what is left of my sample, shoot me a PM with your address and I will send it to you via mail (USA only).

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I'm smoking my 4th bowl of BHT as I write this. Did it in various of my Latakia dedicated pipes. The Burly is the star of the show for sure. This is my second Burly based tobacco I try from Rich. The first was Essence of Vermont (Which was a nice aromatic although I don't smoke them much any more). I'm betting Rich does something to his Burly in general because I can taste the similarities - there's a hint of something in the background - something Vanilla maybe mixed with something nutty? - something so unique I would've known this is Rich's hand if I didn't know a-priori (based on the same impression I got from Essence of Vermont). I could swear there's some kind of topping here but I understand Rich says nothing is on this. I respect that and I understand there maybe trade secrets here :). Knowing how its done is immaterial as long as Rich is with us :). May he live long and prosper.
BHT is sweet, smokey, and mellow. There's enough Latakia in this to announce its presence as a condiment (exactly the way I like it since more of it overwhelms my palette). The Virginias are also there but they are more like the ribbon tied on this little gem. I'm enjoying this a lot ..... obviously!
I'll have to smoke the whole 2oz before I decide on whether I'll order more right away in bulk or not. I'll add more thoughts as I smoke it more.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I love this blend and also have to say it gets the best room note reviews from everyone I encounter.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Enjoyed the blend. If Rich chimes in when time allows my question to him would be, where do you get the inspiration for your blend names or maybe I should ask how.

Just has my curiosity meter going.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Sitting here with my third bowl of BHT and finally starting to wrap my head around it. I'm starting to really love it. The nuttiness of the burley is on front street, and that's normally not my cup of tea, but this might just be changing my mind. I guess I'm having the exact opposite expierence of dcrguns. I've found this to smoke cool and evenly from three different briars, and the flavor to develop more complexity as the bowl goes. Specifically the "seasoning" of the Latakia. It really does a nice supporting job, providing just enough structure past the halfway point.
That's my two cents, and at that rate, it might be overvalued!
Cheers!

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I was out with the family all day yesterday and was almost constantly smoking BHT. No bite, no dry tongue, and a delicious taste. I don't think it will taste as good if the weather is hot, but yesterday was mostly overcast with a cool breeze. BHT is a keeper for sure. Nice, cool, clean, tasty, sweat, easy to light, easy to keep lit, and not a Latakia overload. Whats not to like?

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I'm about to fire up my fourth bowl of Bald Headed Teacher for the day and I'm enjoying this immensely. Some nice flavorful Burley with just enough Latakia to keep things interesting and slightly smoky. If I had to guess, I'd say that to Burley has a little bit of a toping that works really well with this blend. It's not heavy or really noticeable but it imparts a nice sweetness to the tobacco that really works well.
I've been participating in these Crawls since the very beginning, I might not post much but I've always enjoyed them. There have been a few tobaccos that we've tried that really stand out to me and have made a permanent place in my cellar, HH Old Dark Fired, Autumn Evening and now Baldheaded Teacher. After this months crawl I will be placing another order with 4Noggins for several pounds of this to put away.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I have held off posting my comments because I am not sure I am getting the full potential of BHT. While it is pleasant, I find myself chasing something in this blend that seems just out of reach.
I have smoked several bowls, the best of which was in a Peterson X105 (medium straight billiard). The blend is certainly burley forward and reminds me a bit of an old-fashioned OTC type blend and at times I am reminded of Old Joe Krantz (which I love) sans the perique. Nutty, with a graham cracker/molasses taste, slightly sweet. The latikia is light, with just enough to let you know it's there and no more.
Seems like this will be one of those blends that will probably take the entire 2oz for me to get my mind around - not giving up on BHT just yet.
Oh, and as to room note for what it worth, BHT is outstanding. Everyone who happened by while I smoked commented on how "nice" it smelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.