PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
...I had an unpleasant experience yesterday. Sat reading and enjoying a bowl I realised I needed a pee. So off I trot to the bathroom, halfway there I had a deep cough that brought up a considerable amount of phlegm that I would normally have just swallowed and thought nothing of it, but as I was heading for the loo I 'saved' it then spat down said loo.
Thing is it was a nasty brown colour which got me wondering what was in there. I can only assume it was all nastiness from the smoking which I suppose will be obvious to all.
My question is this, would it be good practice to always spit out such 'nasties' and refrain from swallowing them? I appreciate all the risks involved with pipe smoking and as an adult fully accept them but I am now thinking of stomach cancer on top of everything else :roll:
I'm not thinking of installing a spitoon in my sitting room by the way.
Has anyone any thoughts on the risk of ingesting such phlegm?
Hopefully I haven't put anyone off their tea/supper :puffy:
Regards,
Jay

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
That reminded me of Blackadder for some reason.
Also, I prefer to spit that stuff out, not like I get it many times these days.

In the past it used to be more common.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I save mine for later... I'm not sure exactly when or why, but I have this strong feeling I'll need it later.
I'm about to have my own unpleasant experience at noon. A root canal. Most of my teeth are dead or implants. I think it's a metaphor for who I am.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No, Nate you are alive and healthy. Say that a hundred times....
Jay- I usually spit, and haven't noticed any particularly dark phlegm. But I will keep a better lookout.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you cough it up, the body is trying to get rid of it, so spit it out, in some responsible way. Sounds like a chest cold. This shouldn't be a regular part of pipe smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Most of my teeth are dead or implants.
Know the feeling. An industrial accident destroyed all of my teeth.
Jay, as a tobacco chewer as well as a smoker for three decades, I have an instinct to spit. Spend lots of time outdoors, but inside I have a rubbish bin in nearly every room.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Spend lots of time outdoors, but inside I have a rubbish bin in nearly every room."
It may sound strange but I'm sure it's true that spitting in a public place in the UK is a civil offence!
As for spitting in a rubbish bin in the house I think I might just rather use the loo :roll:
I just wonder how much of this brown s##t I have swallowed in the past. I do have emphysema so I do cough rather a lot.
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A highly buffed, brass spittoon seems like just the right touch in a smoking room. Of course the maid should handle the emptying, cleaning and bugging. No gentleman worth his salt should be cleaning and maintaining his own spittoon.
Heavily colored sputum would be sending me to the doctor with a sample. Good luck Jay!
I was a chewer years ago and dark spit wasn't a concern. Colored phlegm is a different situation.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'd take a closer look at it. Is the darkness the product of smoke, and if so, are you inhaling? If not, it may be sliding down the back of your throat into the bronchia.
If it looks like anything other than smoke smudge, I would see a GP and bring a sample if you can.
Good luck and good health!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But only if they are M.D.'s or certified lab techs!
Yes, thinking more about it, I would be a tad concerned, Jay. Go in good health!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay, I'd think all turns out well,now better dont jump into hazy conclusions, take your time and have a cup of nice builders'Assam tea,Maybe cold has something to do with this ,and yes I personally avoid swallowing any tobaccoenriched' spit

Just finshing my horrible tasting L&M cigarette caughing and with sore troath

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Yes, spit it out. When I wake up there are all manner of unseemly guests taking up residence in my lungs. I routinely evict them when sitting on the porch for my first smoke. I do inhale, but not nearly as much as I used to. It is an ongoing challenge from smoking cigs for thirty years.
The brown color is likely tar and other combustibles from tobacco. It is a good idea to have it checked to be sure. You may obtain a sterile sample container from your local pharmacy. Try to get the sample within twenty-four hours of going in to the doctor. You may want to ask in advance whether they send off their samples or do them in house. That may determine where you drop off said sample.
Good luck!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If you're coughing it up it's coming from your lungs not your stomach. The latter would require vomiting to expel.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Jay, are you inhaling? I never cough up anything brown... or green, or yellow from pipe smoking.

Any time I've coughed up phlegm that had any of those colors, it turned out to be a bronchial infection of some sort, and always required antibiotics. Doctor, maybe?
Tim

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Manmansniff, at the rish of being indelicate...why the fuck would you ever swallow your schnot? fucking spit that out man!

Status
Not open for further replies.