PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well thanks chaps. First off I do not inhale (gave up RYO September 2015 after 30+ years) and neither do I feel a cold coming on.
Tonight on three occasions the same thing happened only this time I discharged it into an empty (of course!) clear beer bottle and though it too was brown it wasn't as dark as yesterday's effort.
The only problem in taking a sample to my GP is that he will come out with his usual cobblers about giving up smoking. Sick to death of him telling me that.
So I'm a bit flummoxed...as is often the case. That said, I'm pretty sure it's originating in my respiratory tract and not my stomach.
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Perhaps it's your lungs finally sloughing off the asphalt layer from 30 years of cigarette smoking? Seems like it would have happened sooner, though.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Jay, I think you'll be fine. But what the hell do I know...I'm not a Doctor! :roll:
Seriously, I've had that happen a few times. And then just like that, it cleared up.
Its better that your body wants to expel that shit.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
when you swallow your schnot aren't you just giving it the chance to multiply and gunk up your body? So gross to me when people sniff up when they have a runny nose. Why would you want to sniff booger back up into your nose? Always bothers me

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Manmansniff[sic], at the rish[sic] of being indelicate...why the f**k would you ever swallow your schnot? f*****g spit that out man!"
Pipeman7, there really is no excuse for using profanity in this way. I'm sure you are capable of getting your message across without resorting to such language, go on, give it a try :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

namdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2015
I believe pipe&cigar smoking,is a little more subjective than cigarettes, I think it is an addiction. Some people unlike me not addicted (yet) and some addicted like me . Some view it as hobby some an addiction. I noticed the same thing as you brown sputum. For me, I think it is tar that builds, even though I don't inhale some of the smoke in my mouth plus sputum go down my throat. As it does with snuff users. It scared me more because I don't want give up my daily and only pleasure in my housebound life.I started to make sure I brush my tongue well and day, I bought a tongue scrapper I use every day, I use them religiously, and hope for the best. When I smoke mostly the pipe and no cigars it lessens. I am now 75 started pipe at 11, plus my years of pot self treating PTSD, so what can I expect. I feel I have to die of something and would rather do it with a good pipe/cigar in my mouth. Probably reckless, but I have never been anything but. Hoping this post doesn't get anyone's briefs in a knot, just an opinion,just like butt holes everyone he one. Usually everyone thinks the others smells worse.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Tuold provided an important chart on the causes of different colors of sputum. I'm not an alarmist, but a chest X-ray may be in order since you formerly smoked cigarettes, especially if you haven't had one in the past decade.
I would hazard a guess that if you do not have a dire medical emergency brewing in your chest, then it may be residue from the drinking of tea. Since you seem sure of the origin, your lungs, it remains to identify the composition. Tea spreads its antioxidant goodness to all manner of cell linings from your mouth to your stomach and a good portion is shared before branching between lungs and stomach. This "coating" can be shed with coughing and appear to come from the lungs when it is just hanging around in your throat.
A lecture from the doctor would seem a small price to pay for the knowledge you are in good health for the time being. None of us are getting any younger and smoking carries very real risks, even years after cessation of inhalation. If you were concerned enough to post about it, I hope you would be curious enough to get to the bottom of it. There are a great number of people who would hate to see you disappear off this site, myself included. Finally, since I fight dirty, I'll throw a Churchill quote at you:
“It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what’s required.”

namdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2015
I believe pipe&cigar smoking,is a little more subjective than cigarettes, I think it is an addiction. Some people unlike me not addicted (yet) and some addicted like me . Some view it as hobby some an addiction. I noticed the same thing as you brown sputum. For me, I think it is tar that builds, even though I don't inhale some of the smoke in my mouth plus sputum go down my throat. As it does with snuff users. It scared me more because I don't want give up my daily and only pleasure in my housebound life.I started to make sure I brush my tongue well and day, I bought a tongue scrapper I use every day, I use them religiously, and hope for the best. When I smoke mostly the pipe and no cigars it lessens. I am now 75 started pipe at 11, plus my years of pot self treating PTSD, so what can I expect. I feel I have to die of something and would rather do it with a good pipe/cigar in my mouth. Probably reckless, but I have never been anything but. Hoping this post doesn't get anyone's briefs in a knot, just an opinion,just like butt holes everyone he one. Usually everyone thinks the others smells worse.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I got a new doctor and he doesn't seem concerned about pipe smoking. On the other hand, my old doctor, who used to bring it up every time, prescribed vodka to clear up a cold, so he did have his good points! ;)
It sounds like your body is trying to clean itself out. If you were coughing up blood, THAT would be a major concern. May not hurt to ask your doc, though. Or ask a new one.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Michael, no, it's nothing to do with my mineral collecting hobby, it was definitely a smoke related thing. On the rare occasion where I needed to use an angle grinder I was well masked up.
The good news is that today, of five or so evacuations, only the first was of a light tan colour...all the rest were 'clear'.
That said, I shall from now on refrain from swallowing (unless company is present) and just drop it into an empty beer bottle. That way at least I can monitor the colour.
Warren's idea of a spitoon was quickly dismissed as I wouldn't dare ask the lovely Lisa (my gorgeous house cleaning lady) to empty it...I would likely end up wearing the bloody thing 8O
Thanks again folks for the helpful advice :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's hard to get good help these days. I've interviewed a few prospects but, they all want a living wage, refuse to live in the basement quarters, thought fox hunting was a barbaric activity and worse. The only possibility refused to call me "your lordship." I'm still looking.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Just wait 'till they get a load of the annual hunt for "the most dangerous game". That'll really creep them out! :wink:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd think one could empty one's own spittoon; I have done so, though my spittoon resembles an empty wide mouth mug. I much prefer expectorating outside, but when not possible, next choice is toilet or sink. Just in case you wanted to know!
Can someone answer the question as to the toxicity of one's phlegm? I think it's safe, but I rarely swallow it anyway.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nice.
"The only possibility refused to call me "your lordship." I'm still looking."
Rotflmao....
Thanks, Warren. Best laugh I've had all day.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jay:
If your sputum is red or green go see a doctor.
Otherwise, hack and spit.
Saw an OZ doctor after I quit smoking cigarettes for 35 years, She said, "What did you expect?'
"You've got a lot of poison to expel."
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.