PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
when you finish a pipe do you knock out the ashes in an ashtry or the palm of your hand then dump in them into the tray ? the reason i ask is because i do both but i noticed the rim of my cob got some small chips when i hit the ashtray so i cut a small peice of wood to bang on and with my pete i always use my palm think the price diffrence begs for diffrent treatment

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
I bought a cork "pipe knocker" and glued it into a "Stinky" brand cigar ashtray, works great and won't bang up your pipe.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
all the advertisers have a cork pipe knocker to tap your pipe on. has adheasive backing for your ashtray.

thats the one dam thing i keep forgetting to order.

they also have pipe ashtrays with knock already on it.

may look for a small cast iron fry pan or griddle and stick one in the middle.

that should look sharp.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I find that I smoke to white ash almost all the time, so turning the bowl upside down and all mine just falls out. I never tap my pipes on anything.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I agree with janko on this one, I never bang my pipes on anything,,,,,I do turn them over and rap them on the bottom with the knuckles of the other hand

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Don't beat your pipes around! Use a knocker or loosen the dottle and gently remove it with the pipe tool. It isn't cheap to get a bowl topped and re-stained.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You can send the bottle to me for disposal of the contents and I will gladly return the cork to you! :twisted:

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Whether you tap it against your palm (my preference) or a cork knocker, never EVER hold the pipe by the stem. The tenon is the weakest point in nearly all pipes and is the most likely to break. Hold it by the shank or the bowl and you'll save yourself some headaches.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I found the concrete step on the porch gets out all the stuborn ash. Give it a couple sharp smacks, and the ashes will be gone. :crazy:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Cork Knokers , We dont need no stinkin Cork Knokers . Czech pipe tools rock and will not damage your pipe . Although Grouchy might be on to something with the cast iron ash tray .

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
gecko13 could you post a video tutorial of that method? :mrgreen:
I use my pipe tool to carefully pick out any dottle after the pipe cools down. I tend to cause anything fragile that I touch to explode into a million pieces so I don't knock on any of my pipes.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Gecko, I tried your method and I think I might have broken something, are you sure it works? I must not be doing it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.