PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
I've tried for years to smoke aromatics with no success. The problem is that they leave a very unpleasant metallic feeling and aftertaste. Why is that? Can it be remedied?

It would help to know which aromatics. There is no one formula. The berry/ burly leaves my mouth dry with a slight twang on the tongue. I eat a butterscotch to get the moisture back up in my mouth. But, a Molto Dulce or Cassanova leaves me drooling for more.
Maybe aromatics aren't your thing, and that's ok. Lat blends give me more of a bad after taste. But, I give them a try over and over, trying to be open-minded. I keep wondering what am I missing. I gave Froggy across the Pond another whirl this morning. My coffee helped cut the tongue crust left from it, LOL :D

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
All the aro I've tried beginning with Captain Black - long ago; cherry flavored brands - again long ago. Most recently I've experimented with 1Q, BCA, Vanilla Custard, Cherry Smash, Pipeworks and Wilke #191 and their Maple Flavor (while watching the Red Sox whoop the Cardinals). Yup, I'm from Massachusetts.
I myself really dig the Lat aftertaste. It's like that of a good BBQ meal. Mmmmm BBQ!!

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
It's an effort in not offending the general public while out and about. I've made them suffer up to this point. Only my cigar smoking pals enjoy the aroma of the lats.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might want to try some non-aromatic tobaccos that aren't Latakia or Perique blends either, to get a baseline

of what does not give you aftertaste. I agree, aftertaste is a deal breaker. You don't want it at all, and you don't

want it "with" your meals and beverages. Some of the plain Virginias, burley's, and non-aro Cavendishes might

be worth trying. Then you might experiment with mixing non-aftertaste tobaccos with others for a more complex

flavor. Just go easy, just one or two more at a time. Too many tend to give a hodge podge flavor. A home mix

of burley, Va, and Cavendish, in proportions to suit yourself, is often tasty. Good luck.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Hey rothnh,
I purchased Carole's stuff with the expectation there would be no foul aftertaste. I was so disappointed. I also bought some #5 and #10 as perhaps a bridge to aromatics. Kinda backwards, huh? Those also leave a bad taste. The #10 not as bad as the #5.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Frog Cellar, Straight Frog, Night Cap, Squadron Leader, Orlik Golden Slice, Full Virginia Flake, Davidoff Royalty. All leave a pleasant aftertaste.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since I suffer from the same affliction as Dafydd, I can report that Low Country Santee (apple flavor), and to a lesser extent, Peterson University Flake (berry flavor) do not create what I call the plastic-like aftertaste. Another blend that works for me is from Wm. Serad's Hebraica Series blended by C&D, Halav U Dvash (Milk & Honey). And I have to endorse cosmic's recommendation of LTF -- good choice!

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Interesting reactions to aros here. Underscores the wild variety of taste buds we have and makes me less apt to recommend anything I might like. I was going to suggest the adding of a bit of Carter Hall to the aro, but your stated preference for the latakia rather nullified that suggestion.
As they say, "Go figure..." I would say, "Just keep sampling to find out what suits you best." That's what the renewal of my pipe smoking fascination has shown me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dafydd, it is obviously time to dump the aromatics. I dabbled in them and found that will a metallic taste on some of them, they also dried my mouth something fierce. You could very well have a body chemistry issue with PG as I do.
You have listed some quality blends that you enjoy, smoke those and if you are looking to expand, I would recommend the following blends.
Solani Silver Flake

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Escudo

Dunhill Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Peterson University Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.