PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
I just received two tins of Davidoff Royalty as a gift. They are blends of mainly Va, Oriental, with a small amount of Lat added. I am not a real fan of Va's. My favorite tobacco at the moment is Frog Cellar. I want to mix in more Lat with the hope that it will make it more enjoyable, however, I'm not sure how to add.
Please advise.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hey dafydd, go for it if you think you need more smokiness do it, i myself iam not fond of the FM series, i know guys here like it so maybe someone can help you sir.Why not just try a bowl of the Royalty frist before adjusting the tobacco.Hell try a few bowls before you do anything.Good luck to you sir.
Mike.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I would take a small amount of the Royalty, and add some blending Latakia in stages, to see how it improves the flavor. Try mixing a 25 gram batch, let's say 21g of Royalty, and 4g of Lat for starters. That is a 16% Lat mix. but remember Royalty already has Lat mixed in, so the total will be something higher than your finished mixture. Adjust to taste from there with the balance of the Royalty. If a 25 gram test batch is too much, cut it in half.
I'm doing this with some VA and Perique to test my blend.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Hey, mlyvers
I've had a few smoke already. It taste like most other Va blends to me. I HAVE to do something or else it'll sit in the cellar until either I become a fan of Va's (seems unlikely), give it to a friend (most likely), the house burns down (yikes!). Although, we have the best cellar savers in this town.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Groovy! Great idea werdna. Why didn't I think of that? I was just looking for a starting point from an experienced knowledgeable blender.
While I've got you here - I've tried for years to smoke aromatics with no success. The problem is that they leave a very unpleasant metallic feeling and aftertaste. Got any info on that?

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I've tried for years to smoke aromatics with no success
I used to smoke aros, I now prefer straight tobacco flavors. There are some blends that are technically considered aros, such as 4Noggins Essence of Vermont, because it has a maple topping, but I can only smell the topping in the jar, not in the smoke. That type of aro is fine with me, any stronger topping distracts me from tasting a quality tobacco blend. Your tastes may be changing more toward tobacco, and less toward flavorings. I don't know if I've answered your question.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
My taste has always been with straight blends. I'm trying aros because of the current stigma against smoking. When I'm at the park or sitting in an outdoor bar I would rather not offend the other patrons. I was recently at Peretti's in Boston discussing the topic. The clerk said, "You smoke for yourself. Not for anybody else". I have a different feeling regarding public smoking, yet I keep smoking Lat blends no matter.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist!! You will love it. No latakia, but a mild aromatic for those around you, with a full bodied straight tobacco taste that I think you may like. I LOVE this stuff!!! And, so does my girlfriend, who is a tobacco nazi :D

It's what I consider a "compromise" blend, that lands more in my favor.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I really only smoke latakia blends, especially in public due to 965 and occassionally Westminster or SOTE Flake being what I carry on me. Oddly enough, I can only recall one complaint, and that being a comical comment along the lines of "Well THAT isn't the sweet stuff" (lot's of pipe smokers on this campus, most smoking aros). Most people who could like the smell of any tobacco like mine, so I guess I've not yet run into the need for a better room note blend and will plan on sticking to what I like, public or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.