Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are pipe smokers more prone than other people to wearing hats, especially unusual hats? I think I have

more than the average number of hats, many unusual ones, like a Turkish embroidered fez, an Elmer

Fudd ear flap plaid billed hunting cap, many feed caps and driving caps. I have most of my hair, so these

aren't a poor man's hairpiece. I just really like hats. Do you collect hats?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have an Elmer Fudd plaid flapper for winter :) plenty of ball caps, Dorfman, lost my golf cap :( , few hard hats :wink: and a buffalo hide cowboy hat. And I do have all my hair, just cut really short.

Hmmm, this is my first post here on Pipesmagazine, and the question made me think. I am pith helmet sort of guy. Not the African explorer type of helmet, but a CCC, seabees, postal worker, straw pith type. As a Southern gardener with thinning red/grey hair and fair complexion, it just made sense to me to turn to the hat my grandfather and uncles all wore in the garden. I think they started wearing theirs during their CCC days, but to me it just makes the most sense in protecting my whole head from the sun. And, I guess I turn to my corncob pipe while working in the garden for the same reason, a family tradition, sans the mule.
Of course when I want to kick back in the evening with my latte and briar on the front porch rocker, both the hat and the shoes get kicked aside.
I can't say whether pipe smokers are more likely to wear hats, but it would make sense that the folks that enjoy their accessories without regard for current fashion would find a good harmony with pipe and hat.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I love hats, though I don't have too many.
  • deerstalker

Russo-Turkic smoking cap

Greek fisherman's cap

furry Siberian style cap.
They are all non standard headwear, I don't own conventional hats.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I am definitely a hat person. I've little hair left topside and a hat keeps the sun blocked and the rain out of my face.
I'm also...follicley challenged. But I actually like the feeling of the sun on my bald head and the rain in my face, so I almost never wear a hat. Now if it's really cold out, that's a different story.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I like my fedoras, I have this one that I like to wear outdoors fishing or camping, I have a dressier one for more formal occasions and a couple if straw ones for when it's really hot out.
20130729_104111_zps48ad9292.jpg

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Two words: Skin Cancer.
That would require me to get out in the sun for more than a few minutes at a time :P . I work mostly nights so I'm not out during the day for more than a half hour or so. On those rare occasions that I do get out for longer, say going hiking or camping I make sure to grab some SPF 50 sunblock and apply generously to the noggin and other parts.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
Roth- I just bought the exact same hat as the Indy hat you list first. I have had it about a month. I like it a lot. I ordered it of Amazon also. I have a quick question about it though. It is my hat in this style. When I wear the hat the top portion that bends down in the middle rests on my head ever so slightly. Is this normal? Or is the hat just slightly too big?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've got all kinds of hats and seldom leave the house without one on.
Shain, if I had your head of hair I wouldn't wear a hat. I'd show all that hair off!
As for me, yes, I have two Aussie Outback style hats that I've been alternating for years. A felt for fall and winter and straw in the spring and summer.
Pipestud

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I absolutely can't stand wearing a hat, like I can't stand wearing a watch. That said, I have to wear a cap in the Miata when the top is down, because otherwise the wind whips my hair into my eyes and I can't see.
Both times I've met the D/FW pipesmagazine smokers, almost all have worn a hat, and most not a baseball cap either, so yeah, I do think hats and pipes somehow go together.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My new favorite hat is a big apple cap from Village Hat. When I checked the link, they went on sale. I think they often have the lowest prices.
http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_herringbone_big-apple.html
Winton

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Like rothnh, I also don't spend a large amount of time in the morning combing my hair. We have an MGB which is rarely seen with the top up, so I wear a lot of hats (most of the style that will stay put in the car).
I was recently fitted for a seersucker suit for my youngest daughter's New Orleans wedding, and had to get this coordinating hat (tag has been removed...)

A summer favorite, a straw flat cap. (I frequently find this one filled with eggs, etc. on the counter, via my daughters). It was a Fathers Day gift last year, and in the car it gives me air-conditioning for my head.

I also have a number of other flat-style caps for winter/Fall use.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I like hats as well, ivy caps, short brimmed fedoras. Couple of years ago, I switched from ball caps, felt once I reached forty, I should wear an age appropriate hat.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I love hats. A hat is a display of your persona, a moniker. As with the pipe we choose to smoke, a hat shows our mood at the moment. I have thirty or so hats, Aussie, Jazz, Cowboy, and many ball caps. In winter I wear a knitted skull cap for warmth. This summer I'm hatless, I want sun on my face.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Yeah, I'm a hat guy. Don't know if its because I'm a pipe guy, or because my forehead is spreading. In a pinch, even a skate (a garbage fish, like a stingray, losterbait mostly) will work in a pinch!
flukehat-448x600.jpg

skatehead-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.