PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
So this weekend I went to an estate sale in a town near mine in hopes of finding a few pipes. After only a few minutes I realized there weren't any pipes. Other than pipes I was there for some tools and any other treasures I could find. I think I scored with this one. I found a vintage Stetson fedora in perfect shape with the box! It made me think of the article on here a while back by G.L. Pease. I jumped all over it since I love these types of hats and always wanted a Stetson. Here she is to drool over!

5ced8e2e-396b-4cc3-8de9-fafbd46f1093_zpsc8b0daf6.jpg

Oh yeah and I payed $2 for it.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
$2 was a steal.
No kidding, great find!
I wish I could pull off a fedora, they just don't look right on me. I'm a flat cap guy, which is helping me wean off ball caps once and for all...

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Ball caps are an important TOOL in the trucking industry. Sure, I love other

Hats, but the adjustabilty of the ball cap to compensate for the ever changing

Direction of sun and glare is hard to beat.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
HATS!?! We're talking HATS? Oh, yeah, my kinda thread.... 13 felt cowboy, 4 straw cowboy, 3 Fedoras (1 Stetson), one top hat, two bowlers, 3 Irish walking, 4 flat/golf, 5 straw golf, 3 Indiana Jones type floppy, one beret, 4 hunting, 3 fishing, 3 uniform, 1 Harley biker...then there are the ball caps and informal things...and anything else I forgot..... If you don't have hair, you have hats!

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
The funny thing is I really dont feel like I can pull off a hat either, never have. I love the way they look on other people but it must be something about my build. I have one leather hat that started out as a safari hat then I trimmed the brim down more to my liking. Its my favorite and I wear it without caring if it looks good or not. I love collecting them though. I wish I saw more of these types of hats out in public.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Sorry guys, I accidently deleted the photo I used in the original post. Here it is again.
6d9461f9-da31-43ce-ba04-cd9965a63f22_zpsf455b781.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I am also a hat guy. Have about 15. In the summer, I primarily wear panama hats. My most unusual hat is below:
thumbsupphp_zps47390807.jpeg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, hats... I used to wear them regularly when I was in college. First one was a wool cap that I bought second-hand for a theatrical production, which I wore out and eventually replaced. Later switched to a broad-brimmed fedora style with a military surplus trench coat. Got out of the habit after moving to Denver - mostly I had ball caps and another broad-brimmed sun hat for hiking and yardwork, but after discovering my Scots heritage and Steampunk, I've started collecting again. I've got both a wool Balmoral and a leather Glengarry to wear with my kilts, a felt gambler for Western styling, a nice top hat that I've customized with a grosgrain ribbon band and some small bottles, and a fez... :D
Still need a bowler and a nice Panama hat for warmer weather. I may need to pick up another fedora at some point, though I've never been a fan of the stingy-brim style that's popular these days. I plan to make a tarboosh-style embroidered Victorian smoking hat sometime this year, actually - possibly embroidered with botanical illustrations of the tobacco plant, as the leaves and flowers would make a terrific design.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
I've always said that there are too few hats worn today. I bought a very nice hat with a wide brim at a haberdashery to use while working. The occasion called for standing about in the weather and of course I wore my new hat. Several of my coworkers made fun of the brimmed shade maker until it started to shower, then downpour. There I was with a warm trench coat and a wide brimmed hat on while the rest were getting soaked. I didn't hear anymore jokes about the old guy wearing a hat.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Nice looking hat, Rosney.

Here's a picture I drew of one of my favorite hats.

I don't wear it much on the boat, though.

Broad brims aren't much good in the wind.

hat_zpsfa2917bb.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice Stetson rosney - congrats!
Hats are heady subject.
:rofl:
@peckinpahhombre that is a very cool hat.
I wear glasses - so this means a hat is integral to my outside gear. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and the rain off of my glasses. But it's a ball cap for me. Perhaps I should look into alternatives...

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
We are hat folks.
I wear a real hat to the office everyday for three reasons:
1. In tribute to my Dad, who would no more have gone to the office without a hat than without trousers.

2. Because it is eminently practical: cool in the summer, warm in the winter, keeps off the sun and the rain.

3. I look DAMN good in a hat.
(I will wear a cap now and then on the weekend.)
I own many Stetsons, including some fine multi-x cowboys, and a couple of good fedoras, but I think my favorite hats may be my several Akubras. That's an Australian maker and I found them a great value, stylish and long-wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.