Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Anyone else not smoking as much because of the cold?

(45 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by acidpox
  • Latest reply from denholrl
  1. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I can't smoke inside and sitting outside in the cold for 30 mins to an hour sounds awful. Anyone cut back on there smoking in winter.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

No problem with that here... I smoke in my living room next to my toasty wood stove

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, I brave it. Cup of coffee, warm, cozy sweater, switching hands if one gets too cold, but I love the winter. It's my favorite season of the year. Foods taste and smell better. Beer tastes better. Your woman cuddles up to you more. The pipe tastes even better. Just my take.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

So jealous, wish I could sit in my chair and read a good book while enjoying my pipes, but my better half doesn't smoke and is prone to headaches around smoke.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, I brave it. Cup of coffee, warm, cozy sweater, switching hands if one gets too cold, but I love the winter. It's my favorite season of the year. Foods taste and smell better. Beer tastes better. Your woman cuddles up to you more. The pipe tastes even better. Just my take.

Haha.

Tomorrow's low in Raleigh, NC: 41 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees with the wind)

Tomorrow's low in Regina, SK: -21 degrees Fahrenheit (-30 with the wind)

If my temps were in the 40s during winter, it'd be my favorite season, too!

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, we have our cold days too, you know. I believe it was 28 there this morning? When you're used to the weather you live in, my cold and your cold might "feel" the same to us. But if you were in Raleigh during what I thought was cold, you'd be sweating, sounds like. And if I were in Regina I'd need heated everything just to not freeze to death!

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I enjoy a pipe less in the winter for sure. Smoking a pipe indoors is not an option for me. Now if I had a heated garage on the other hand...

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. renal923

renal923

Login to Send PM

we recently went through a cold spell for about 2 weeks here in phoenix (lows in the high 20's, highs in the mid 40's to low 50's) and I think I went out to enjoy my pipe 3 times in those 2 weeks.

As much as I want to move somewhere with green and trees and rain, I'm not cut out for the cold.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I can smoke inside but i seem to enjoy smoking more on my porch in my rocking chair so i just been putting a jacket on unless it really windy. I been looking into getting one of those patio heaters.

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's currently -13 °C in Regina (~9 F). It's NOT cold. Cold begins at -15 °C. Wind chill is a meaningless value: unless you're outside naked.

Since I only smoke in my car, I wouldn't have a problem, other than more condensation in the pipe and possibly tongue bite (happened yesterday, ouch). When it's really cold, like -40, I have to keep the car idling, but no big deal, I can listen to music then.

I was outside on the evening of Jan. 3rd smoking a cigar. Temp was a balmy 27 F.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

I’m on a forced sabbatical due to outside temps. I’ve a window this afternoon and tomorrow.

Loaded a MM Freehand with Morley’s Best, and another cob to sample a new-to-me C&D blend: Stratfordshire. I’ll pick a briar set for the Strat after a few bowls in a cob.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So jealous, wish I could sit in my chair and read a good book while enjoying my pipes, but my better half doesn't smoke and is prone to headaches around smoke.

I have found they are prone to headaches in general.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. bradical

bradical

Login to Send PM

For sure. I only smoke outside, so the cold weather makes it trickier.

Don't go chasing waterfalls.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. rogerrodger

rogerrodger

Login to Send PM

I look forward to warmer weather, for sure. But I smoke in the garage with a space heater at arm's length. A good book, an insulated coffee thermos, and warm clothes, and I'm set. I just had a half bowl of Stratfordshire in my Cayuga pipe at lunch break.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my opinion, the cold weather is the best time to smoke. Whether it’s inside or out the ambient temp makes for a grand pipe but then again it doesn’t get too cold in the winter here in central Texas.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone cut back on there smoking in winter.

Yes. For sure. But I still do it. I bought a nice heating lamp last year and that helps. I tend to smoke cigars at the cigar lounge (indoors) in winter.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I haven't smoked for five days because I HAVE a cold!

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Define cold?
    I'm smoking more because our daytime temperature in SE Louisiana has ranged from a low of 40F up to 65F. Way easier to sit outside and have a pipe or two then in the summer when the highs temp and humidity are in the 90s.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. jrenko

jrenko

Login to Send PM

There is not enough clothes in the world to keep me warm for 1-2 hours sitting outside in the middle of the winter.
    So i am a lucky man who have the option to smoke inside.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. renal923

renal923

Login to Send PM

m smoking more because our daytime temperature in SE Louisiana has ranged from a low of 40F up to 65F. Way easier to sit outside and have a pipe or two then in the summer when the highs temp and humidity are in the 90s.

I feel the same way. Come summer I some way less than during the winter (this is with the relatively quick smoke of cigarettes, mind you) because 120 degrees is just too much to be out in for any length of time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Winters for me are love/hate. Hate because I can’t smoke if it’s too cold, but my English, Balkan’s, lat-forward blends are blissful when it’s cooler. I enjoy burleys more also.

Come warmer weather I retreat to Va/Pers and lighter English. Oddly, I enjoy strong cigars more during the summer. In fact when it gets hot, I’m likely to grab a stick most every night and my pipes just sit.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

After being a ski bum in the rockies for 30 plus years, I'm now 68 and can't stand the cold. I hate winter. My smoking has been cut way back.

Dan

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

I smoke much less in winter, it's not just the cold, I crave less pipe or cigar smoking since the flavors are dampened by the cold. When I do smoke, I do it when it's close to 0 Celsius and no wind. Of course I reach for Latakia mixtures or Va/Pers. I don't smoke indoors.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hang on one second.... how many people on this forum live in Regina?
    I will be the first one to admit that I live in Regina.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I cut back purely because of convenience. There are times where I'm not interested enough to suit up into layers for the experience whereas in warmer seasons it's much less of a project to step outside and camp for a bit.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

Admittedly I live in Houston so "cold" here lacks the ferocity visited on our more Northerly friends, but I also spend a good deal of time in Finland and a West Texas deer lease. For me, it's not so much the cold as long as I can be out of the wind. Jameson helps.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will be the first one to admit that I live in Regina.

No! I was first to admit it!

LOL. That makes two of us, so far, matey.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't smoke on the porch because it is too damn cold...34° here tonight...and this is north Florida I'm speaking off. Can't smoke in the house as my wife has breathing issues and I don't do well with a flat iron over my head.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL. That makes two of us, so far, matey.

I can think of 5 forum members, including the three of us...

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

grettman

Login to Send PM

I picked a bad time to pick up the pipe. I hate the cold but love my pipe smoking experiences so far. The garage has been okay but below 40 degrees makes it uncomfortable. I’m lucky that I live 5 mins from a tobacco shop that has a lounge.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

in nc. per local radio, we wear shorts to shovel snow. been smoking on front porch in shorts down to 32°. just wear thick jacket and a hat.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

No cutting back here.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  33. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

My pipesmoking actually increases during the winter. I smoke pipes indoors or out. In consideration of the other family members, I only smoke cigars outside. My cigar smoking will pick up in the spring. This has become a sort of natural annual pattern that I’ve come to enjoy with the changes of the seasons.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 4 months ago #
  34. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Not me; fortunately here in NC the temperatures aren't extreme enough to increase the opportunity cost (that much) of standing outside.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 4 months ago #
  35. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Nope, I keep on puffing. The only exception to this is the wind. If it's windy, then I find smoking a pipe quite pointless, as it usually burns hot and gives me a pretty mediocre experience. Most of the time, I actually enjoy the cold weather smoke, but never sitting. Always on a walk with the dog or by myself, to keep the blood flowing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've actually cut back big time, because here in Vegas it's been much colder than usual (mid to upper 40s for highs with over night lows dipping into the low 30s) and it's been really rainy and dreary and nasty. This morning I finally said screw it I've been so miserable lately because of the weather I'm heading out to the garage and firing up a bowl of Mac Baren Golden Extra (think it's a July 2017 tin) in one of my favorite pipes a Dr Bob rusticated straight pot. Hopefully this bowl makes my day a little better. It does still taste like that amazing graham cracker goodness that I find from this blend.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  37. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

North Florida (panhandle) believe it or not does get cold enough to send me into the garage for a few months. Space heater and a laptop so I can smoke and hang out here. Life is good!

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  38. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nah. But it is kinda warm yet today in Wisconsin. 29 degrees

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  39. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not me, although if it does get below 35 or so I usually don't spend more than an hour outside with the briar. However I did buy a jacket recently, which does extend my time if its really cold & windy. And BTW, FWIW, the shirt in my avatar? That IS the sort of thing I normally wear when smoking outside, winter, summer, & trumpet-call-of-Doomsday. :):)

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  40. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The weather never affects my smoking life.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I cut back. My pipe smoking area is my workshop/garage, that is insulated and has a heat source. But unless I'm going out to work on a project, in the colder temps, I just often don't smoke my pipe. We'll have single digit temps here on Sun-Mon, that is definitely a bit chilly in the garage, so those days will definitely be out. Boswells is 20 minutes up the road, I'll occasionally head there for a treat in the winter.

Al

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just use my smaller bowls, which surprisingly some times last just as long. But i guess its just a trick on my mind to think that smaller bowls smoke quicker, anyway it works for me.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  43. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m going on 2 weeks. I was out of town for a few days (to a cold weather destination), and I got a cold as soon as I got back. Maybe I’ll have a bowlthis weekend after I blow all the snow that’s coming. But I’ll do that from the comfort of my kitchen next to a window fan.

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shoveling snow, 15f can't stand these winters anymore,summer or winter I prefer smoking indoors,or in my car while driving.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  45. denholrl

denholrl

Login to Send PM

Here, sometimes the temp plunges into the low 40's. I puff and bear it.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, ormazd, johnscs, civilwar, lestrout, tbradsim1, andromeda, captpat, cigrmaster, prairiedruid, redone