Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Anyone else leave the pipe to go to cigars then return back to pipes!

(37 posts)
  1. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I stopped smoking the pipe over a year ago because it was causing some asthma. I was smoking 3-4 avg sized bowls a week. I decided to try cigars, smoked them for about 8 months. Only 2 robusto sized per month. Never had an issue, but I was smoking so much less. Never fid care that much for any cigar except Drew Estates Natural line. The filler has pipe tobacco, that figures. I just smoke two or three bowls per month. I will never go back to cigars except an occasional National, lol.

"I yam what I yam."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never left one to go to another. Most guys I know will smoke one or two sticks a day in between bowls, just to get some variation. I don"t think the two have to be so mutually exclusive. I've even seen guys light up a stick to smoke while smoking a pipe. It's not like football or religion, where you can only belong to just one.

Ha ha, Our Blessed Goddess Nitoninia appreciates all of the ways in which we may choose to come to Her.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy a cigar from time to time. I enjoyed them more often before Cigar Aficionado made cigars so damned trendy the prices sky rocketed and quality nose dived.
    I think quality has returned but the idea of regularly spending 8 or so dollars a smoke is still kind of off putting to me. Still, I do love a good Cameroon wrapped cigar.
    Mike S.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I enjoy both. My favorite sticks though are Oliva Serie V Maduros.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

leadtungstate

Login to Send PM

I enjoy occasionally a cigar, but I find that the taste in many cases is overwhelming.
    The nice subtle taste of the pipe tobacco is more attractive to me.

However, I do remember a period in the past that I liked cigars more. This was easily traced back to my poor pipe smoking
    technique. When that was improved there was no comparison.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found that learning to breathsmoke my pipe, and then transferring that slowness to the cigar gave me a new appreciation for the cigar. I get more subtleties and nuances of flavor, and it reduces how overwhelming it can be.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I switch from pipes to tobacco and back again whenever I can, often several times a day...

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started a pipe in the mid-70's and by the late 70's had switched to cigars. I didn't pick up a pipe again until 2012 and I am loving all aspects of this fascinating hobby.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2010 stopped smoking all together because met wife and she was asthmatic. 2012 got married and wife not me cigars and till 2014 just smoked cigars. 2014 got back into pipes and once and a while I smoke a cigar.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke the occasional cigar and keep a small humidor full of my favorites, but I smoke a pipe 99% of the time. I don't see any reason that you can't enjoy both.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm seasonal -- warm months see me favoring cigars over pipes.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

I started off smoking exclusively cigars and after a few years converted to pipe smoking and never looked back.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure. Over time, I've drifted back and forth, but a pipe is what I crave. I went to cigars to support my wife in quitting a serious cigarette habit, to smoke away from home, like when I traveled for business. When I went to Toronto, I could smoke Cubans. I gladly accept a nice cigar at events (rare these days) or for births or weddings. I don't keep them around at home. Pipes are less expensive to smoke (in terms of tobacco, not necessarily the pipes and accessories). But pipes and pipe tobacco are just more interesting, require more knowhow, and allow much more variation in terms of mixing your own "blends" and being able to adjust these bowl-to-bowl, and suit the blend to the mood. Also, beginning cigar smokers can be ego-trippers, hot shots, and loud mouthes -- some of whom are really great people anyway, but it's not really my mileau. But a fine cigar can be an inspiring experience, true.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a tobacco consumption machine. I'll have a cig in one hand, a cigar in the other, a pipe in between, while covered in nicotine patches and chewing nicotine gum. I can't even remember why I'm typing this or where I am.... nummy gummy bears.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I smoke and enjoy both. And as Cosmic stated after starting the pipe hobby my taste receptors improved gradually and I do enjoy cigars more than ever.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think quality has returned but the idea of regularly spending 8 or so dollars a smoke is still kind of off putting to me.
    I concur Mike. I can buy a whole lot of pipe tobacco for the $150 I would spend on a box of cigars. I still keep a fairly decent selection of cigars on hand, but put my money in to Cutty Meerschaums and pipe tobacco...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always smoked both cigars and pipes. I smoke about 4 cigars a day nd maybe 4-5 bowls. The luxury of retirement allows me to over indulge.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

I smoke my pipe daily, but enjoy a cigar at least once a week.

My local shop is well stocked in cigars, pipes, and pipe tobacco.

I go there once a week for a bible study. Quite unique to sit around smoking cigars, and study the book of Revelation!

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started pipes about 1982, and smoked them for the next 10 years until I got caught up in the cigar craze of the early 90s. I still smoked a pipe from time to time but there was so much activity going on with cigar dinners and parties that I mainly smoked cigars up till we moved to MS in 2001. Then for some reason, I smoked nothing for about 4 years. After a friend came to visit and gave me a cigar I realized that I missed them. After a few years of just cigars, I decided I wanted to go back to the pipe. Then I found this site and things have really spun out of control since!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley, don't feel bad. Control is an illusion anyways. Out of control is where it's at.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

I came from cigars but have found that the pipe suits me much better.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for that Nate. My new mantra, "Out of control is where it's at". I feel better just saying it...

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This year, I learned how to roll my own cigars and have been really enjoying it. Being able to tweak the blend to my own preference and trying each leaf as a "Puro" has really increased my understanding. Also, cigar scraps that are left-over from rolling make great additions to pipe blends and are also used to make snuff ... no waste.

Here's one of the most recent ... I don't bother with a flag / cap for my own smokes:

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is a new leaf type that I just started playing with called Black Fronto ... makes a killer Cigarillo:

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. briarcudgel

briarcudgel

Login to Send PM

It had been pipes in fall and winter, cigars in late spring and summer. Now, I find I smoke the pipe more regularly throughout the year.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately not.. I went from Cigars to pipes and never came back..

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No I smoked cigars for 25 years but I picked up the pipe about 6 months ago and haven't smoked a cigar since. Not sure why because I have several nice cigars in my humidor still but never feel the urge to smoke one. However I have accumulated 9 pipes and about 5 pounds of pipe tobacco and constantly contemplating my next pipe and or tobacco purchase.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

maybe when the new wears off with the pipe I will once again enjoy the occasional cigar.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Cobguy, well done sir. I am impressed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jvnshr: Thank you very much!

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I left the pipe completely for a while, before widespread internet shopping was available. Came back over a dozen years ago, but still maintain a small humidor in the summertime.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the early 1970s I switched to cigars because I had a job that was just too hectic for pipe smoking. When that job was over I switched back. Montecristos were $1 back then.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Control is an illusion anyways.

I tend to agree, but I'm sort of anarchy/atavism department of this thread...

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. smokinfireman

smokinfireman

Login to Send PM

I have been known to go back and forth. Sometimes I like a good Garcia Y Vega English Corona after supper. However, due to being a poor EMT, I find myself not able to afford the cigars I love and usually buy a tub of OTC every month to help me stay off the cigarettes. So in short, yes I go back and forth, but I usually stay with the pipe longer than the cigars.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I go back and forth, but lately it seems as though I've been reaching in my humidors more often rather than reaching for the pipe racks. The only thing that slows me down at times, even though I'll only smoke one cigar in a day, is the expense of the sticks that I enjoy.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No reason not to smoke both. I started off with cigars, but once I tried a pipe I knew that they were for me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me its "Location".

I attend many car shows. Packing a pipe, pipe cleaners, loose tobacco, and lighter is a PITA. Cigar, cutter, and lighter is just easier and more mobile.

Nuff said.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, pipestud, tuold, sholto, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd, cigrmaster