Anyone else leave the pipe to go to cigars then return back to pipes!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,

I stopped smoking the pipe over a year ago because it was causing some asthma. I was smoking 3-4 avg sized bowls a week. I decided to try cigars, smoked them for about 8 months. Only 2 robusto sized per month. Never had an issue, but I was smoking so much less. Never fid care that much for any cigar except Drew Estates Natural line. The filler has pipe tobacco, that figures. I just smoke two or three bowls per month. I will never go back to cigars except an occasional National, lol.

I never left one to go to another. Most guys I know will smoke one or two sticks a day in between bowls, just to get some variation. I don"t think the two have to be so mutually exclusive. I've even seen guys light up a stick to smoke while smoking a pipe. It's not like football or religion, where you can only belong to just one.
Ha ha, Our Blessed Goddess Nitoninia appreciates all of the ways in which we may choose to come to Her.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I enjoy a cigar from time to time. I enjoyed them more often before Cigar Aficionado made cigars so damned trendy the prices sky rocketed and quality nose dived.

I think quality has returned but the idea of regularly spending 8 or so dollars a smoke is still kind of off putting to me. Still, I do love a good Cameroon wrapped cigar.

Mike S.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
I enjoy occasionally a cigar, but I find that the taste in many cases is overwhelming.

The nice subtle taste of the pipe tobacco is more attractive to me.
However, I do remember a period in the past that I liked cigars more. This was easily traced back to my poor pipe smoking

technique. When that was improved there was no comparison.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I switch from pipes to tobacco and back again whenever I can, often several times a day...

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I started a pipe in the mid-70's and by the late 70's had switched to cigars. I didn't pick up a pipe again until 2012 and I am loving all aspects of this fascinating hobby.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
2010 stopped smoking all together because met wife and she was asthmatic. 2012 got married and wife not me cigars and till 2014 just smoked cigars. 2014 got back into pipes and once and a while I smoke a cigar.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I smoke the occasional cigar and keep a small humidor full of my favorites, but I smoke a pipe 99% of the time. I don't see any reason that you can't enjoy both.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I started off smoking exclusively cigars and after a few years converted to pipe smoking and never looked back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sure. Over time, I've drifted back and forth, but a pipe is what I crave. I went to cigars to support my wife in quitting a serious cigarette habit, to smoke away from home, like when I traveled for business. When I went to Toronto, I could smoke Cubans. I gladly accept a nice cigar at events (rare these days) or for births or weddings. I don't keep them around at home. Pipes are less expensive to smoke (in terms of tobacco, not necessarily the pipes and accessories). But pipes and pipe tobacco are just more interesting, require more knowhow, and allow much more variation in terms of mixing your own "blends" and being able to adjust these bowl-to-bowl, and suit the blend to the mood. Also, beginning cigar smokers can be ego-trippers, hot shots, and loud mouthes -- some of whom are really great people anyway, but it's not really my mileau. But a fine cigar can be an inspiring experience, true.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I am a tobacco consumption machine. I'll have a cig in one hand, a cigar in the other, a pipe in between, while covered in nicotine patches and chewing nicotine gum. I can't even remember why I'm typing this or where I am.... nummy gummy bears.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I smoke and enjoy both. And as Cosmic stated after starting the pipe hobby my taste receptors improved gradually and I do enjoy cigars more than ever.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I think quality has returned but the idea of regularly spending 8 or so dollars a smoke is still kind of off putting to me.
I concur Mike. I can buy a whole lot of pipe tobacco for the $150 I would spend on a box of cigars. I still keep a fairly decent selection of cigars on hand, but put my money in to Cutty Meerschaums and pipe tobacco...

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I smoke my pipe daily, but enjoy a cigar at least once a week.
My local shop is well stocked in cigars, pipes, and pipe tobacco.
I go there once a week for a bible study. Quite unique to sit around smoking cigars, and study the book of Revelation!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I started pipes about 1982, and smoked them for the next 10 years until I got caught up in the cigar craze of the early 90s. I still smoked a pipe from time to time but there was so much activity going on with cigar dinners and parties that I mainly smoked cigars up till we moved to MS in 2001. Then for some reason, I smoked nothing for about 4 years. After a friend came to visit and gave me a cigar I realized that I missed them. After a few years of just cigars, I decided I wanted to go back to the pipe. Then I found this site and things have really spun out of control since! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.