PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Sorry if it seems like I am posting a ton of new topics, tell me to slow down if it is getting annoying.
My local tobacconist shop got a new shipment of these pipes with the word ROMA stamped on them. The guy that manages the shop had no info on these pipes and since I was the first one to buy one he gave it too me for 15 bucks after taxes (he put a price tag of $40 on the rest). There were tons of different styles but they all said the same thing, my question is does anyone know anything about these pipes? Do they smoke well? Do you know this brand at all?
Thanks in advance guys, here are a few pictures.
IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a pipe stamped like yours.

It is my understanding that it was made in "Roma" known here in the Good US of A as Rome.

I have other pipes that are stamped with the name of the Italian town/city where it was made.

I would post a picture of it. But, it is in a drawer somewhere around the house.

Yours definitely looks better than mine.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It is a Savinelli "Roma". I guess a second rate Savinelli brand. Looks a lot like a Savinelli "Capitol" I have - which is a really great, cheap smoker.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
pstlpkr, now that you mention that it make so much sense. I am guessing, since it is in a drawer somewhere and not in your normal rotation, that it isn't that great of a smoker :)
I don't know about it being a Savenelli, I think mine was just a basket pipe.

I bought back in the 70's, I don't think it ever got much use, save maybe on fishing trips.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm far from an expert on this, but like pstlpkr, I've got a feeling it's a basket pipe. The name "Roma", on the shank as made by Savinelli,

was enclosed in a rectangle; and the stems were stamped with an R within the Savinelli shield.
If you're involved in estate pipes, and it sounds like you've got the bug, which I call e-BAD (eBay Acq. Disord.), then you might find

the pipe logos and markings website useful. Take some time to browse the whole site and you might find a make that printed the word "ROMA" the way it appears on your pipe.
ps. Having a basket pipe is not necessarily a bad thing. I have one that smokes really well, and I wouldn't dream of abusing it in any way.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The Savinelli Roma's are also sandblasted. I think it looks like a nice basket style pipe. I have several that are great smokes and look great like Cortez. That website Cortez posted is a great one to look up pipes on and then look a little further on Google about the pipe makers.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I am pretty sure it is not a Savinelli. It does look like the Savinelli Roma pipe just not sandblasted though. I smoked it last night and it was great smoke, nice and cool! I am really happy with it, my wife wants one now!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I need everyone's help again... I bought this pipe yesterday for $3, it was cheap so I bought it without even looking at it. When I got it home I couldn't find a single marking on the pipe, but I was hoping you guys might notice something familiar or know what pipe it is. I understand if there is no way anyone can figure it out! Oh it is a big pipe!
IMG_2464.jpg

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Here's some pics of a couple of Savinelli Romas. Both of mine have brass accent bands and lucite stems. You can see the "R" logo on the stems and the boxed word "Roma" and Savinelli logo on the base along with the shape number:
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Pipedia can also be a great resource when looking at estate pipes.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Status
Not open for further replies.