PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbcooper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2018
So I recently sold off most of my pipes to replace with non-production one - i.e. no interest in Dunhill, Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell etc. I like pipes that are a labor of love so to speak, from small capacity businesses.
My researching ha been mostly North American and Italian carvers because those seem to be the most frequently named recommendations I've read here and elsewhere. I've looked into
Moretti, L'Anatra, Tinsky, Les Wood, Jacono, Ser Jacopo, Maestro de Paja, Ryan Alden, JSec (James Giliam), Boswell, Wiley and more.
So I come to you forum for advice. Let's put the budget at $300. Looking for a smooth finished (though partially rusicated is good too such as Tinsky Black and Tan line). And something that looks unique, distinguished.. not another well-made Billiard.
What shops should I keep my eye on?

What artisans should I look for? They don't have to be well known but you get your money's worth when you buy one of their works.
Ebay Estate pipes are fine too as I can do the restoration work.
PS. I have picked up a Cavvichi and an old Bollar/Tinsky.
Thank you and sorry for another recommendation thread!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Seriously, Jack Howell, had they allowed 7 in The Who are your favorite pipe makers he would have been there, doesn’t make a lot of pipes every year but man they are fine lookers and smokers. http://jwh.fastmail.fm

banjo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
American artisan makers:

Ryan Alden

Larryson

Scottie Piersel

Mark Tinsky

Tony Fillenwarth

Brian Ruthenberg

Paul Perri

Randy Wiley

Bruce Weaver

Ed Andrew

Elliot Nachwalter

Colin Rigsby

Paul Bonaquisti

Arly Curtz

Gabrielli

Rich Lewis

Tim West
Pipes from all of these artisan makers can be found in your price range, either new or estate. These are also experienced carvers.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Jesse Jones ( Blue Room Briars). Although he DOES make an exceptional Billiard, he also makes some beautiful non-traditional shapes. Just tell him what you want and he'll make it. Absolutely fantastic smokers!

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
To pull from a few lists already....
Paul Perri, Jessse Jones and Larryson are makers I have had pipes from. I say try to find a nice Paul Perri as he is in his 90's and isn't making many more.
Marty from Pulver's gets a lot of nice unsmoked American and Italian Estate.
There has been this very affordable Sam Learned pipe there for a while that I have been wanting.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
You can get a hell of a nice Tinsky under $300.
His blast (rad) or outstanding give him a call.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll recommend one, but you won't buy it. This is a test of how much trouble you will take. This means travel. Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., works in Mountain Laurel and briar, and a few other woods, and does not sell online. He sells only at the N.C. State Fair in October and the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in April, not online, and not at pipe shops. The pay-back is that he will dent your budget so little that you can buy your Tinsky or other artisan pipe besides. I say Jerry's work is a mix of mountain man --basic and fundamental -- and Japanese aesthetics with asymmetry and elements of chance. So far as I know, no one else on Forums owns his work. Okay, there's the obstacle course if you choose to pursue it.

dbcooper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2018
Thank you all for the recommendations. I didn't mean to say I was only interested in Italian or American Pipe makers but that it seems like the guys who get recommended the most are from these regions. I'm open to anything although a little biased against the Danish style just not my cup of tea.
Mso489 I'll take that challenge. That travel to Chapel Hill on business two or three times a year and it looks like the place you named is an hour away. I'd love to know more.
I'll have to check if I'll be in the area in October..
Will add more responses later.

dbcooper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2018
@duckhudson Thanks. I'm acquainted with Mark and know his great work. Personally, I think it's a steal what you can get his stuff for.
@cigrmaster Rad Davis is interesting since he learned from Mark and retired, to free up more time for fly-fishing, yet you can get one of Mark's pipes for $100 but Rad's pipes are always near $300 - probably because they are harder to get. I wonder if Tinsky retires, his pipes will jump in price too.. hmm
Larrysson is a new name I haven't seen too much, I'll definitely look out for his work. Interesting life-story.
Talbert's work looks interesting, but a bit plain for my taste.. I've ran across the name a couple times but they are on the more expensive side, currently a couple grade 4's for near $300 on eBay (one that is 3.7" long).
I'd love to get a Weaver or Alden but they are harder to come by, especially Alden. When I see a Weaver up for sale somewhere it doesn't scream "buy me!" for whatever reason. And I'm unfamiliar with Brian Ruthenberg, I'll have to do some searching. Thanks for the info!
Any opinions on Paolo Becker?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
dbcooper, I own 24 Aldens. Just love them. There are 2 for sale right now on Smokingpipes.com
I own his Classics and some Danish. As a matter of fact i just had a Devil Anse delivered and smoked my first bowl just prior to reading this.
You just can't go wrong with his work.

dbcooper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2018
Ashdigger, thanks for the input re Alden. The two on SP are nice but I'm trying to get smooth pipes as my rotation is predominantly rusicated/sandblast. Id make an exception for the squashed tomato but it's too much money for what it is to me. Not saying it's overpriced, but I personally don't spend $300+ on a pipe unless it's calling my name. I wonder why there are so few Aldens for sale online.
So far I've added a Cavvichi, Tinsky/Bollar, 1 Morretti (and probably another) and Les Wood.
Don Carlos and Paolo Becker are floating around in my head right now but don't know too much about them.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I agree and I prefer me too to look for some artisans pipe because I like their originality and I also like to support these artisans.

As I am Italian I have a bias for Italian makers. One I would recommend is Massimiliano Rimersi (Il duca Pipe) mainly for his morta pipes which I would consider the best both in quality of the morta, the manufacturing and the aesthetic (I have one of his morta and it is exceptional) as well as olive wood pipes, particularly the sandblasted ones are exceptional and thinking to get one.

The other one is Tom Spanu (actually now made by the son as Tom passed away few years ago) mainly because of the beautiful Sardinian brian they grow by themselves in their own land, it is perhaps the only pipe maker who actually grows his own briar. They also have alternative woods and I am always thinking to get one of their lemon pipes.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
For commissions right now, Scottie Piersel. Love her work. I'm a fan of pencil shank pipes and hers are outstanding!
For the estate route: Rad Davis, Peter Heeschen, and Paolo Becker.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Any opinions on Paolo Becker?
I have a Becker Musico that I like very much and a Becker 3 clubs that I like as well, but neither is a magic pipe for me. I would also have mentioned Lee Von Erck, but his estates may be slightly above your price point. Those are among the very best pipes that I own.
Speaking of Italian makers, Tom Spanu made wonderful pipes. I really like mine and smoke it often. They're not pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.