[AhmadOthman] Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake Review

(28 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Ahmad Othman
  • Latest reply from Ahmad Othman
  1. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Friends, It's been a while since I got the chance to be here, and I missed you all. But I am back and with a review of a quite complex blend IMO
    This blend is quite tricky. And it has a learning curve, which is a lot to say about a tobacco blend, so I will divide my review to two parts, one for the blend itself and the other for the mechanics part. As for the blend itself, it is excellent. Dark, ripe virginias are the star here, with burley supplementing them with nuttiness and richness. The taste is quite good, consistent and pleasurable. And though it is labelled as maple, I had more hints of molasses in it. And even tried maple and molasses to check once more, and it still strikes me as molasses rather than maple. The dark, rich taste is complemented with a good, nice aroma and makes it a good candidate for a morning smoke with a cup of coffee. Now to the tricky part, mechanically this blend is a bit challenging.. It is a roll cake, but it is a mess at that. not all coins have the same components, so there are two things you need to do. First, you need to identify the components of each. Mostly if a coin contains cavendish or not. The other is you need to try and balance the coins in the bowl to get the full flavour out of it, or to do a flavour profile you prefer. This was a daunting exercise and required nearly half a tin to do. But when I struck that balance I wanted, it was extremely rewarding. A definitely recommended blend.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This has been on my radar. Nice review.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Good blend indeed

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your review sounds great, but my experience was a lot bitier. I just think that MacBarens uses something that attacks my tongue like the beaches of Normandy.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahmad, it sounds like you went above and beyond the call of duty to give this blend a chance and were duly rewarded. This sounds like an adventure for the experienced smoker and maybe better left alone by the less experienced. We don't hear much about coin in general, and it is a bit different than other cuts, and this one in particular sounds challenging. However, I'd certainly give it go when I next go looking for something out-of-the-way. Right now, I have quite a backlog of goodies. Thank you for the good review.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too really like this blend. But I have to sip it very easily to avoid bite. I have to do this with all Mac B/Newminster products. I have quite a few favorites from this blender which I enjoy if I remember this rule.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

This review is biased from Egypt !!! Just kidding ! A great review from a great smoker and mate !

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, all for the kind words.. I do my best to be of use

@cosmic: some folk say so, I never had an issue with Mac Baren blends.. I have tried my fair share of them. But I'll give you that, they need to be smoked slowly.. nearly sipping them

@mso: Thanks, old chap.. I am delighted I can amuse you

@jabo: Oh well! I am flattered.. Biased or not

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

gmjabsky

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review,Mitch made me think! I recognize the different coin components, but have mostly just allowed the surprise to emerge as I load. I enjoy any combination, but have not risen to the challenge of repeatability of the ideal mix.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Great review. I like this one too, and also like to ignore the components to get a surprise smoke. Haven't been disappointed yet! And guys, don't knock the Egyptian, went there on a senior trip in highschool, and the prettiest women on the planet are in Egypt.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'll have to go with what Cosmic says!
    My experiences aren't that great, even tho most people seem to love this stuff. It's kinda bity, and almost tastes like a lot of Mac Barens sweetened blends. That "Mac Baren Aroma" (which I do like, I love a bowl of Navy Flake and Scottish Mixture by times). As a Kentucky lover, I don't get much of the Black Cavendish made from Kentucky leafs. It's a mellow, sweetish smoke, that is too less of taste and to much of hot air for me. Maybe I got a bad pouch, maybe I was expecting too much, idk. I was expecting a bit more wood, spice and ....fire!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The separation of "blend" and "mechanics" is a good one, I think.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

this Mc Baren is pretty widely available in Germany, nevertheless,still I'm afraid of Mc Barens bright virginia leaf tobacco offerings , I guess you all know why,if I recall correct I had this Dark twist twice in past and found it quite pleasant both in taste and strenght.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review. I like this one too, and also like to ignore the components to get a surprise smoke. Haven't been disappointed yet! And guys, don't knock the Egyptian, went there on a senior trip in highschool, and the prettiest women on the planet are in Egypt.

Haha.. Oh well.. I won't disagree

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@gmjabsky I prefer the consistency honestly.. Nothing against your approach as well

@deniz maybe Old Dark Fired or Bold Kentucky are your answer

@paulie666 Well, I have had a few Mac Baren blends, Amphora - which is by Mac Baren - and Dunhills that are produced by them.. And they were all on point

@deathmetal I try, mate.. I try my best

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahmad:Amphora Org Brown is one of my favorite and that new Golden Amp is quite a satisfactory blend as well,yet Golden Blend Burley I do estimate high along with Mc Baren Navy Flake,

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

See? That's why Mac Baren is good

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

consistent quality year after year at quite a reasonable price, then the Orlik Golden sliced is another nice example of similar genre ,meaning/price and quality wise/

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh.. Orlik GS.. I really want to try that one out... never had the chance, though

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dear Mister Ahmad: One way or another,I bet You shall have this Orlik GS,since its widely available in parts of central and northern Europe and U.S as well,I will keep this in mind when ordering something next time.Greets, Paul

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah.. Probably will..Cheers, mate

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@Ahmad Old Dark Fired and especially Bold Kentucky are not only my answer - they are my most favorite blends!
    But thank's for the recommendation anyways.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ok, I'll have to revise my opinion on Dark Twist!
    When I was in the shopping mall (:roll:) with my mum and my wife we came across a tobacco shop that offerd quite a good selection of any kind of tobacco products - and even pipes. The shop is called "Wollsdorf" and also offers house-blends.

Anyways, as a gesture of "appeasement" for taking me with to materialists heaven asylum, as i call those mallss she said "I'll spent you a tin ;-)" ...They had some interesting blends and it came to a showdown between Dunhill Royal Yacht and Mac Barens Dark Twist Roll Cake - and with "showdown" I mean me standing for a quarter hour in that shop and cheking tobaccoreviews and arguing with my girlfriend who knows about pipe tobacco just as much as I know about make-up Damn I love pipe and tobacco - there's so much to explore, and the offering is drowning you in choices to make.

Excuse the digress, but it was a memorizable moment, in a good way!
    Anyways after a bad start with a sample of Dark Twist I first tended to Yacht, but as a Kentucky Fan(antic) I took the VA with the Kentucky Cavendish - my first 100g tin. I always only bought 50g because I wanted to try out as many blends as I can for my low budget.

The first bowl of Dark Twist was a revelation! Smooth and mellow, with a nice bit of "punch" from the KY Cavendish. A nice tin smell of black/dark bread (is that the right term?), with a mild citrus scent and gentle, subtle sweetness beneath.
    First smoke gave me taste of gentle tanginess, a slightly sweetish taste of black / dark (Fruit) bread notes. Very fine, much more taste than the flat tasting sample I had tried before, which diddnt taste a bit like Kentucky! This one has a subtle note of Kentucky-ish wood- and smoke notes to it. No bite, even tho I smoked it while walking outside and the wind blowing. (I held my finger on the bowl to protect it a bit) Very balanced and refined taste. This one will easily get a place in my top list!

10/10

Regards

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Deniz.. excellent story, I quite enjoyed it.. except I am a bit confused that you went to the mall with your wife and girlfriend..

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@Ahmad I treat my harem good, they don't get into fights when I'm taking them out together - so why not?!

....no, jokes aside, it was a translation mistake, i often call my girlfriend "meine Frau", as were together for almost a decade. In german "meine Frau", can be translated with "my woman" (=doesnt have to be married, it's like "my girl") or "my wife" (=married) - and of course I chose the wrong term, the fool I am It's time my school starts in August, so I get to train my english a bit again. (I'm doing my "Abitur"; the graduation that allows you to study on Universitys in Germany)

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's okay, mate.. not a big deal..and best of luck with your "Abitur"

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks @Ahmad for the kind words.
    I researched on a translation for "Abitur", but there is none since the school-system is totally different in the US. It's like the US High School. But the one I will be going to is "second-chance education". I'm pretty excited.

Here's the FULL REVIEW by me, if anyone is interested.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck with it, mate

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, ssjones, laa2, pappymac, gatorlope, captainsousie, jpmcwjr, fishnbanjo, transpose, dochudson, spartacus, autumnfog