PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Hi Friends, It's been a while since I got the chance to be here, and I missed you all. But I am back and with a review of a quite complex blend IMO

This blend is quite tricky. And it has a learning curve, which is a lot to say about a tobacco blend, so I will divide my review to two parts, one for the blend itself and the other for the mechanics part. As for the blend itself, it is excellent. Dark, ripe virginias are the star here, with burley supplementing them with nuttiness and richness. The taste is quite good, consistent and pleasurable. And though it is labelled as maple, I had more hints of molasses in it. And even tried maple and molasses to check once more, and it still strikes me as molasses rather than maple. The dark, rich taste is complemented with a good, nice aroma and makes it a good candidate for a morning smoke with a cup of coffee. Now to the tricky part, mechanically this blend is a bit challenging.. It is a roll cake, but it is a mess at that. not all coins have the same components, so there are two things you need to do. First, you need to identify the components of each. Mostly if a coin contains cavendish or not. The other is you need to try and balance the coins in the bowl to get the full flavour out of it, or to do a flavour profile you prefer. This was a daunting exercise and required nearly half a tin to do. But when I struck that balance I wanted, it was extremely rewarding. A definitely recommended blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ahmad, it sounds like you went above and beyond the call of duty to give this blend a chance and were duly rewarded. This sounds like an adventure for the experienced smoker and maybe better left alone by the less experienced. We don't hear much about coin in general, and it is a bit different than other cuts, and this one in particular sounds challenging. However, I'd certainly give it go when I next go looking for something out-of-the-way. Right now, I have quite a backlog of goodies. Thank you for the good review.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I too really like this blend. But I have to sip it very easily to avoid bite. I have to do this with all Mac B/Newminster products. I have quite a few favorites from this blender which I enjoy if I remember this rule.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
This review is biased from Egypt !!! Just kidding ! A great review from a great smoker and mate ! ;-)

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Thanks, all for the kind words.. I do my best to be of use
@cosmic: some folk say so, I never had an issue with Mac Baren blends.. I have tried my fair share of them. But I'll give you that, they need to be smoked slowly.. nearly sipping them
@mso: Thanks, old chap.. I am delighted I can amuse you :)
@jabo: Oh well! I am flattered.. Biased or not :P

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Thanks for the review,Mitch made me think! I recognize the different coin components, but have mostly just allowed the surprise to emerge as I load. I enjoy any combination, but have not risen to the challenge of repeatability of the ideal mix.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Great review. I like this one too, and also like to ignore the components to get a surprise smoke. Haven't been disappointed yet! And guys, don't knock the Egyptian, went there on a senior trip in highschool, and the prettiest women on the planet are in Egypt. :wink:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
this Mc Baren is pretty widely available in Germany, nevertheless,still I'm afraid of Mc Barens bright virginia leaf tobacco offerings , I guess you all know why,if I recall correct I had this Dark twist twice in past and found it quite pleasant both in taste and strenght.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Great review. I like this one too, and also like to ignore the components to get a surprise smoke. Haven't been disappointed yet! And guys, don't knock the Egyptian, went there on a senior trip in highschool, and the prettiest women on the planet are in Egypt. :wink:
Haha.. Oh well.. I won't disagree ;)

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@gmjabsky I prefer the consistency honestly.. Nothing against your approach as well
@deniz maybe Old Dark Fired or Bold Kentucky are your answer ;)
@paulie666 Well, I have had a few Mac Baren blends, Amphora - which is by Mac Baren - and Dunhills that are produced by them.. And they were all on point
@deathmetal I try, mate.. I try my best

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Mister Ahmad: One way or another,I bet You shall have this Orlik GS,since its widely available in parts of central and northern Europe and U.S as well,I will keep this in mind when ordering something next time.Greets, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.