PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hey folks
I've been away from the forum for several months due to the preparation and completion of my retirement from my retail jewelry store in the Bronx, NY, started by my father in 1939.
As many can imagine, this was very difficult for me to do. I've been working in the business (started as a child, as many small retailers had their children come in to do chores) but seriously part time since I was 17, moving to full time years later after my classical music career was finally put to bed.
My lease ran out, and neighborhood and business changes made the decision inevitable. I knew it was coming a year in advance, but I hoped that I could squeeze a couple of more years in the area. But, my landlord didn't respond to my requests to talk and finally the towel was thrown in.
The hardest part was saying goodbye to all of the clients who still remained in the area-I am the next to last in Norwood, Bronx to leave. Other than the bar owner across the street, we are the last of the 'old guard'.
TV, newspapers, several times came in and interviewed us, and clients were filmed, some actually getting very emotional.
Sad.
As a working repair jeweler, I had tons of equipment in our very modern store. And that disposal is and was another very trying thing to accomplish.
On the good side, all of the magnificent fixtures and almost all of my equipment are being donated to the only watchmaking school in the United States, recently formed, named Veteran's Watchmakers Initiative for disabled veterans. The school is located in Delaware and my jewelry group has been contributing for several years now.
Despite the sadness, knowing that all of my tools and displays, fixtures etc are going to such a worthy cause makes my wife and I feel wonderful.
So, looks like I'll have more time to argue on the forum. LOL
Thanks for listening.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
And you can take up your music again :lol:
What you did with the equipment was a wonderful thing!
Welcome back

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You're good man Allan. A fine career comes to an end on high note. Always a mix of emotions with a serious life change. I'm guessing you'll find much to fill the now empty hours. Go! Enjoy! You've earned it!
Your substantial donations to our vets is singularly admirable.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It sounds like you've done a lot to help a worthy cause, and can slow down and enjoy life a bit more. Bittersweet, but it sounds like it's all for the best.

Best of luck with the new life !

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Lonestar, warren, Gelrove,
Thanks guys
As you can imagine, hearing about the treatment these vets get from our government is simply inexcusable
Not to get political, of course

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's one heck of a chapter to be concluding, Allan.
Congratulations and welcome back! :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Allan,
I can empathize. Many years ago I helped wind down the jewelry business that I worked at after the Jeweler, who was like a father to me, was murdered. And a couple of years ago I handled settling my parents' estate after my father passed. It's a very sad and wearying process to go through. You come out the other side and move on to the next great thing.
Sounds like you made the best of the situation and found a great way to help others. Excellent!
Welcome back!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
It is said that "as one door closes, another opens". I hope that proves to be true for you. Thank you for your gracious gift to our vets. You have contributed to providing a new lease on life and helped preserve the tradition of craftsmanship. Welcome back, as noted above, you were missed.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Allan:
Everybody here has already stated what I wanted to write.
I am sorry for your loss. When you catch your breath please re-engage here.
Your kind, civil words have elevated many threads over the years.
I'm glad you're back.
Fnord

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I to had to close a retail store I owned. There are few days as sad as that final day when every act carries with it finality and meaning. The last turning off of the lights, the last time you lock the doors, these moments I remember with a rare clarity despite happening over a decade ago. As someone has already said, these moments of major transitions can be difficult, but sounds as though you're making the best out of it which is the best you can do. My condolences and congratulations! Best of luck with whatever comes next.
And glad to see you back in The Forum!

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Allan, as you are a craftsman and professional, I can't imagine a better end to a career than to "pass it on" as you have and help ensure that the knowledge and skills endure.
Plugugly

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Allan, it's good to hear from you. At the NYC club meeting last month, I wondered how life was finding you. That's quite a life event. Keep us posted on your next chapter and I'll hope to see you at a future club meeting, now that you have all that new found time at your disposal!

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
As a Veteran let me say thanks for your donations, I'm sure the equipment will be put to good use. Best wishes for the New Year and beyond.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Once again gentlemen, thank you.
For any of those wishing to check out the new school, here is the web address:
veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Allan, good to see you around again. Sorry about the business, that is sad but with a bit of good coming out it seems.
Hope you had a great holiday season, and look forward to seeing you in Chicago again.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey Allen, good to see you back as well. I may be up for the New York show and possibly Chicago. Had a blast hanging with you guys last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.