PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hey Allen, good to see you back as well. I may be up for the New York show and possibly Chicago. Had a blast hanging with you guys last year.
We had a great time in Chicago and I can't wait for May
Like I need more pipes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Allan, you sound like a very busy guy, despite the sad chore you have been through. However, it sounds like you have made it to a new chapter and have some energy and health and new options to consider. I understand this is not a happy moment, but sometimes what looks like a negative can unfold into a positive situation. Monitor your health, so the emotion of this doesn't visit you with physical stress, and take a look around.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
At the beginning of this thread I was saddened that your lot was going south. By the end, it is clear that you have a plan and that this forum is at your back. Keep the faith!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I just realized that my joke about peck owing me money was my attempt at humor. He owes me nothing except a new j ALAN pipe he promised me on one our drunken binges

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
A bitter sweet end to what sounds like a very fulfilling career. Enjoy your well deserved retirement. :puffy:

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Welcome back allan, as a disabled Vet I thank you for your generosity and concern!! I hope things going forward smooth out and you find joy and happiness.

Funny, your life events are matching up with some of my own. I am getting ready to wind up my own B&M jewelry store, as people are not going to store any more and everyone seems to be shopping online these days. I have been trying to justify paying commercial rent, commercial utilities, and I just cannot justify it any more. Most people aren't aware that commercial power and utilities is about 5-10 times as much as residential.
So, I am getting ready to lock the doors and move my studio into my house. It is bittersweet, but I am not going to miss most aspects of retail. I will be able to get more focused on making the things that I want to make, and I will still do bench work for a few other jewelry stores that don't have a bench jeweler on staff. Heck, I will most likely make more money by closing the store.
But, as people sync into their iPhones and computers even more, we will be a nation of empty retail stores and everyone staring at a device in their hands, or heads. But, I guess people want it that way. Heck, I even predict that in the not too distant future most of us will live in isolation from everyone else. Who will care that places don't allow smoking, if all of the places are closed. Just go top the APP and order your pizza and then Amazon up your groceries.
But, anyways, good on you for donating all of your tools. And, good wishes on the next part of your journey.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Allan:
Thanks for the donation to our disabled vets. They deserve our help and support. Glad you are back on the forum.
Perhaps you can keep Peck in line.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Allan,
It's wonderful to see you back and posting. Congratulations on how you've chosen to wind down your business. I cannot imagine what that process must have felt (feels?) like.
You were missed here, friend.
Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Allan, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to dissolve a business that was so intimately intertwined with family and friends. Donating your tools and fixtures, as cathartic as it may be, is a deeply kind and caring gesture. It speaks volumes. Good luck on your next chapter, the introduction was wonderful!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
You see??
This is why I continually come back to the forum. By and large, you guys are the most caring and respectful bunch that I've ever seen on any forum that I've been on with the different hobbies I've entertained.
Thanks, all of you, for all of your kind words.
You don't really know how much it means to me.
@Cosmic- I've watched your work posted and have been amazed at your talent. And yes, you are right about retail. B and M's except for large chains, most likely are things of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.