A Review Of Lane Era Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
As I write this I am wishing fervently that I had lifted the rest of the Edgeworth from the Box Pass.

It is wonderful, especially if you like chocolate or fig newtons. It so happens that I like both. After the charring light it is initially fairly tasteless, other than an elusive, somewhat chemical taste. But very quickly you begin to get notes of graham cracker and a hint of blackcurrant. Over time this morphs into fig newtons and a hint of cocoa, and remains stable as such for the first third of the bowl. Early in the second third of the bowl the flavors more or less dissipate leaving only the faint chemical taste and the merest hint of blackcurrant. However, this is more than offset by the wonderful aroma. All the flavors from earlier are present there, but even stronger and more delightful! At one point I was smoking with my nose cupped in my hands trying to catch every last wisp of smoke. In the final third of the bowl the focus is once again on taste rather than aroma. The fig Newton is more in the foreground now and the cocoa is richer and smoother. It proved fairly easy to keep lit, and smoked down to a fairly even gray ash. All in all, a delightful smoke.
EDIT: Has anyone tried the Edgeworth matches, and which of them would you recommend?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It was the first tobacco I ever tried, back in 1959. I smoked it for a while before moving on to more exotic blends, but I miss it a great deal. I get the match from P&C, and it's a fine tobacco, and it brings me some memories, but it ain't the real McCoy.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
dermotfahy:
Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed is one of my favorites, and was initially recommended to me by a valued late friend. It is the standard by which I measure all other Burley-based tobaccos. Funny, I recall throwing away the first pouch that I purchased, believing (due to its dryness through lack of humectants) that its seal had been compromised!
One of the few prescient things I have done in my life was to purchase as much of this tobacco as I could, not knowing that it would be discontinued. Thankfully I have enough to keep me contented through however long the Good Lord elects to keep me in this world.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I liked the ERR, I was fortunate to sample a few bowls from the box pass. I've had the Edgeworth Match, and while it's good, it's not an exact match. I'd keep some around for a change, but I wont stock up on it significantly.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Has anyone tried the Forrestal Tobacco Ltd. version? As far as I know, it's only sold in the U.K. but the description sounds like it's the original blend made under license.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I too enjoyed it very much and plan on getting the match. Thank you woodsroad for sharing it with the box.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I had the bad fortune of receiving a small sample of ERR in a box pass a while back. Thinking I had found great and wonderful thing, I was immediately deflated when none was available. Had I not been given the opportunity to taste it I would have been none the wiser. R.I.P.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
Regarding the lamentation in this thread concerning the demise of Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed, why not contact Mr. Leonard Wortzel, Vice President of Marketing and Product Development, at Lane Scandinavian Tobacco Group (you may recall that he appeared on Episode 105 of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show), and request that it be brought back to the market? JimInks demonstrated that at least one tobacco company (Sutliff) will respond to such a campaign, so why not try the same tack with LaneSTG?
In that interview Mr. Wortzel mentioned that LaneSTG now owns the House of Edgeworth brand portfolio, but that the use of the Edgeworth name was apparently tied up in a legal question regarding who actually owns the rights to it. Well, as Shakespeare said, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. So long as it's the same tobacco, I, for one, don't care what they call it, providing it again becomes available. How about you?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
dermotfahy:
Rather than a petition, I believe that individual e-mail messages and telephone calls might carry more weight. Perhaps Kevin could provide to us the contact information?
JimInks:
Can you tell us how you approached Sutliff in your campaign to keep Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend afloat?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Huntertrw: Originally, I e-mailed Sutliff to see if I could get a sample of EGR because I wanted to try it without spending $40 on a tub, which, if I didn't like it, was hard for me to absorb the cost. They sent me a tub, not a sample, which was amazingly generous of them. They told me it was going to be discontinued, so I started a campaign on every pipe forum (7) that Friday evening that I belonged to in order to get people to e-mail the company and ask to sell it in tins. I told people what I thought of the blend with a review and a plea for people to e-mail Sutliff. That weekend, 14 people bought tubs of EGR. The key to this was to get Sutliff to make it in 1.5 ounce tins so it'd be easier for those who wanted to try it could afford it. That Monday morning, I got a call from the purchasing manager who said, "We surrender. You win. We just had a meeting and will do as you want." It turned out they got so many e-mails that their server crashed by 10:00 am, and a few vendors who had seen the campaign called, and wanted to start carrying it. That's the short version of what happened. Individual requests were the power needed to get it done.
I'm very willing to help spread the word to get ERR and Edgeworth Slices (if they own that, too, which I suspect they do) back on the market. I like the ERR Match and it's close to the original, but I'm sure everybody will agree that we'd all like to have the original. So, we need the e-mail address, and I'll help out as much as I can.
I should add that the reason (so I am told) that we don't have ERR or the slices on the market is because the company wants too much money for the license, and a company would have make and sell a lot of it to make it profitable. That's a hard road to hoe, so petitioning the company one by one is our best shot as far as I can see.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
All:
Today I received the following (and rather discouraging) response from Kevin: "On the radio show interview I did with him, we talked about this. He said they cannot do it because of licensing and legal issues. He is also extremely busy with his new position, and lately, I have a hard time getting hold of him."
However, not one to be easily deterred I was able to independently discover what I believe to be Mr. Wortzel's e-mail address at STG Lane, and will verify it this coming Monday. If it proves to be accurate, then I will post it here.
In the interim, here is that business's contact information:

Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Headquarters

2280 Mountain Industrial Boulevard

Tucker, Georgia 30084

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A trademark search reveals the following. Inquiring minds want to know more.......
Word Mark EDGEWORTH READY-RUBBED AMERICA'S FINESTPIPE TOBACCO.

Goods and Services IC 034. US 017. G & S: SMOKING TOBACCO. FIRST USE: 19690425. USED IN ANOTHER FORM MARCH 1939, AS TO "AMERICA'S FINEST PIPE TOBACCO". FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19690425

Registration Date January 12, 1971

Owner (REGISTRANT) LARUS & BROTHER COMPANY CORPORATION VIRGINIA 2280 MOUNTAIN INDUSTRIAL BOULEVARD TUCKER GEORGIA 30084 (ed.: That's STG/Lane)

(LAST LISTED OWNER) THE HOUSE OF EDGEWORTH INCORPORATED COMPANY SWITZERLAND ZAHLERWEG 4 ZUG 6300 SWITZERLAND (ed.: That's Pall Mall/Rothman's)
History of Larus and Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.