PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I am by nature a metal head. But there are so many other styles of music I highly enjoy... and well, let's face it, although some might be able to enjoy their pipe while listening to Slayer's Rein In Blood, I cannot. For pipe smoking I prefer sounds that are more natural for lack of a better word. I prefer music that is more warm, or earthy for another lack of a better word. Celtic music works for me, and some classical, and perhaps a little bit of country. Sometimes a bit of Frank Sinatra, depending on the song... although at first note I'll turn off "Let's Forget About Tomorrow." That song just doesn't do it for me. Sometimes a good deep, melancholy piano piece works for me. Perhaps Queensryche's "Someone Else"... the version with just Geoff Tate and the piano is stunning. Classical music also works for me... but mostly strings, as for some reason horns sometimes take away that warm feeling I get from the music. But that's just me, and it's not always the case. And then there is this guy. Peter Hollens. This guy is just amazing. Add to the fact that he does a lot of Lord Of The Rings covers and it's a total win for me. But even if you are not a Lord Of The Rings fan, humor me. I think you'll be glad you did. And his non Lord Of The Rings music is every bit as fantastic. So please... load up your favorite pipe with your favorite tobacco, and sit back with your favorite beverage and press play. Enjoy :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojt0eiFX1K4

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
when I am painting or drawing, I like listening to lute music from the renaissance, I like guitar music too, Fernando sor is a good one they called him the Beethoven of guitars, also you reminded me of an old record I used to listen to by bo hansson, its called "music inspired by lord of the rings" give this album a listen you will like it, for it will take you to a different plain of meditation and imagination.
"music inspired by lord of the rings"

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks for the link! I'll have to watch it when I get home!
I listened to the LOTR soundtracks many many times while studying or reading or any number of other school activities that would have been difficult to do while listening to music with lyrics.
This one, at the end of The Battle of Five Armies got me a little teary eyed. It all just sets in at once, that the saga is over!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ir8rVl2Z4

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Roadhouse Blues, Swamp Blues, Red Dirt Texas Country, Classical, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath (about as close to metal as I get).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I read most of the time, while enjoying a pipe. But lately I've been listening to Rush and Genesis. Early Pete Gabriel Genesis. Pappy Led Zepplin is my all time favorite band. Never ever gets old.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
This is my three and a half year olds favorite song at the moment. Old school metal, BOC!
http://youtu.be/T65rW_SIzg0

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
It's cool to see people who appreciate metal on here. Whenever I go to a smoking lounge, it's rare that I get to talk about music with other smokers. Most of the metal I like is the Scandinavian black metal like Bathory, Darkthrone or Emperor. I've always been very heavily into Industrial music; mainly the noisier stuff.
I never really listen to music while smoking. I'm either watching tv, grading papers, or reading. I suppose, aside from Frank Sinatra or big band music, I'd have to go with some Industrial noise soundscapes.
Mind you, my musical tastes are very. . . eccentric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4bGNM91Wio

Status
Not open for further replies.