1984 James Upshall Pamphlet

(6 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by ssjones
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Last week Ken Barnes was kind enough to inquire if I had one, and then send me a 1984 James Upshall pamphlet. Not only did I not have one, I've never seen this piece before. The catalog arrived today and using our HP printer, I scanned it to JPEG. I also scanned a PDF copy. If you would like to download the PDF, you can do so at this link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74716036/James_Upshall_Catalog.pdf

It's definitely not Jesse Silver work, but it came out better than I had anticipated.

Cover - Leatherette with a fishing dry fly on the back (an Olive?). There are numerous nature reference throughout the catalog.

Page 1/2 - Shows a beautiful Straight Grain bent billiard. I can't make out a grade stamp on this one, perhaps an E?

Page 3/4 - This shows two P grade pipes. Butterflies are the nature refernce.

Page 5/6 - Appears to be mostly S Grade pipes, including one silver spigot and one silver band. I've only seen S grade pipes with red stain, that must have come later.

Page 7/8 - Three ungraded "Fishing" style pipes, with lanyard rings on the silver. The James Upshall logo on these is not boxed. And appropriately two salmon flies. One pipe in a presentation case and curiously, a bottle of James Upshall snuff. I've never seen a presentation cased James Upshall on ebay, etc.

Thanks so much for the thoughtfulness Ken!

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's cool Al ! I love the color of the "butterfly" pipes!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipes. Thanks for posting. I'd love to know how the P grade pipes were finished. The briar is so bright.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks to Al and Ken. This was really fun to see.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipes. Another case of "if we only knew". Thanks for sharing this, Al.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a great piece of history! Thank you for posting it so we can all enjoy.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   shayde