Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

1792 age

(7 posts)
  1. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found some 1792 in the old tin design. Any idea how long ago they changed the design? Or how the tins hold moisture? There 3 more...

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

it would be useful to see a picture of the tin

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If its from 1792 it might be a rehydration project

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Is this at a B&M?

It's worth pulling the trigger on at least 1 I think

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

B&M on the NC Coast north of Jacksonville. I bought a tin, but left 3. I wasn't sure how old it was, nor if being old if the Tonquin Bean, Whisky flavoring would have faded - that's one of the things I like about it! Here's what the tins look like. I left a 250G FVF and a 1792 250 pack being sure they would need rehydration - the shop attendant opened the FVF box so I could see the flakes were dry and brittle. Not really sure how old it all was, it was being sold as estate in a small cigar shop.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alex
    Check for a transparent sticker with 5 digits typically in this format, ## ###, on the bottom or sides of the tin. The second group of digit(s) are the date, in months since December 1995, according to this table (which I extrapolated to 2030 in hope that SG will still be producing & I will still be piping):

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Check for a transparent sticker with 5 digits typically in this format, ## ###, on the bottom or sides of the tin. The second group of digit(s) are the date, in months since December 1995, according to this table (which I extrapolated to 2030 in hope that SG will still be producing & I will still be piping):

Wow, that is a great reference! It takes always takes me awhile to date my SG tins!!

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper