PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

alexnc

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2015
I found some 1792 in the old tin design. Any idea how long ago they changed the design? Or how the tins hold moisture? There 3 more...

alexnc

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2015
B&M on the NC Coast north of Jacksonville. I bought a tin, but left 3. I wasn't sure how old it was, nor if being old if the Tonquin Bean, Whisky flavoring would have faded - that's one of the things I like about it! Here's what the tins look like. I left a 250G FVF and a 1792 250 pack being sure they would need rehydration - the shop attendant opened the FVF box so I could see the flakes were dry and brittle. Not really sure how old it all was, it was being sold as estate in a small cigar shop.

cossackjack

Preferred Member
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
alex

Check for a transparent sticker with 5 digits typically in this format, ## ###, on the bottom or sides of the tin. The second group of digit(s) are the date, in months since December 1995, according to this table (which I extrapolated to 2030 in hope that SG will still be producing & I will still be piping):

spartacus

Preferred Member
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Check for a transparent sticker with 5 digits typically in this format, ## ###, on the bottom or sides of the tin. The second group of digit(s) are the date, in months since December 1995, according to this table (which I extrapolated to 2030 in hope that SG will still be producing & I will still be piping):
Wow, that is a great reference! It takes always takes me awhile to date my SG tins!!