PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
It takes practice to burn out the wall below the rim like that. But it's something that all Zippo using pipemen strive for. It adds another dimension to the pipe smoking experience that many have likened to the reverse calabash effect!

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, then this came to mind:
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%2011.36.19%20PM_zpsnuk0ps9a.png

Mar 1, 2014
Actually that picture is more appropriate for ropes (Brown Bogie burns so slow, dry as a crisp or not, that it can be used as an extinguishing agent in emergencies).
The burning pattern on the pipe in the OP is bizarre, but I know for certain that if I use a regular Zippo I'm going to burn the rim.

The only way I can seem to make the flame from a Zippo ignite tobacco is if I light the pipe tilted at a 45 degree angle or steeper. I've singed a few pipes but I gave up pretty quick.
If the hollow were just on one side it would make sense that someone only lit their pipe sideways, but with it in the front I'm still guessing. I've noticed on some pipes that they burn most in the front because that's where all the airflow is.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just unrestrained puffing.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I'm certainly no expert on the subject but as a zippo user I'm having a difficult time accepting that damage was caused by the device itself. I've seen similar and even worse examples but those people in general do nothing to care for their pipes. Yeah, if you rest the insert right on the wood and puff away in a stiff breeze I'd suspect you'd get some charred wood but with normal, acceptable lighting practices, no.
+1

Been using a Zippo for years and after a smoke, I wipe the carbon from the rim. No burning / burnouts etc. Not even close.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Well, my fears dissipated. I Just got my Zippo today. Took it for a test drive with a Stanwell 32 and later with a billiard. Can't complain. I seemed to control the flame just fine, and there was no abuse to the rim of my pipes. I guess "easy does it" is the key. Now I'm more convinced that only way that damage could have happened was by sticking the lighter's chimney way into the bowl and letting the flame hit the rim directly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, and then maybe sticking it out the window at 30mph.... The rim is in relatively good shape- relative to what's happened to the chamber wall just below it. Very odd.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes very odd indeed, I had a long conversation with the fellow about his technique and it didn't seem out of the ordinary. Maybe he just happened to get a couple of soft chambers as his other pipes look fine.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Can't offer any suggestions but I must say that's a real mess. I've never seen anything like that before? Hard to beieve a Zippo could burn it out like that. :puffy:

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I have a few zippos, and one pipe insert. I have used it a few times, but the flame just seemed too unruly - likely to produce the damage in that pipe.
So I just stuck with my Atoll Retros and Vertigos.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sounds like an isolated case of user error. The fact that this is a first for you seeing a pipe in the condition this one is in further points to that explanation. I've been using a zippo w/pipe insert exclusively since i started smoking a pipe when not using matches and i have had never had any issues anywhere in the realm of this. Normal rim darkening is to be expected, but most of that is removeable tar and carbon from the burned tobacco that can be removed. The application of spit around the rim before lighting is probably some of the best advice i have ever taken from these forums (thanks Cajun) and has served me well ever since. I certainly don't think it is the fault of a lighter that has been successfully used for this purpose for many many decades.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Consider this, after looking over the Zipppo website I found they do make a.torch lighter. I say this after looking at this pic several times and studying it. The burn area would be in the same area a flame would if the lighter was held in the right hand. IMO a lighter with a very hot flame was used.
John

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Guilty, gents, those pipes were mine. I was using a Zippo at the time without the pipe insert, trying to figure out how to light the pipe without burning the rim. After donating thses pipes, I got a pair of pipe inserts--one of the members of my club showed me how they were properly used--and I haven't had a problem since.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Chalk it up to the inexperience of a relatively new pipe smoker. It's fortunate I discovered the insert (thanks to the forum) or I would have burned up all my pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.